Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recap a MS-6540 with Poly?

Hey Guys!
    I have an old MSI MS-6540. I have 4 capacitors busted. What I see on them are: 1500uf 16v, 105c H0427, HM(M) size is 10mm x 20mm

All other capacitors look normal. Should I replace with the exact same type or should I go with Poly? If Poly, is preferred, is there a certain one to go with? What do they run price wise and where do I get it?

Thanks!
    Last edited by fastvan67; 03-20-2011, 02:17 PM.

Re: Recap a MS-6540 with Poly?

These old ones sound like Nichicon? If yes, that batch of caps are known to be problematic.

You can use Rubycon MCZ sold here at badcaps.net (assuming the diameter and height fit).

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=38
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

That was Quick! Is there a solid version of this or should I just leave it like it is? Its a High performance system even though its an old P4
      P4 Extreme 3.4ghz
      4gb RAM

Comment

16V caps? that's on the CPU VRM input side (basically directly after the 4pin 12V plug)
        no real benefit putting polys there. on the VRM output side though, those would be an upgrade (if it doesn't have polys or high-end lytics there already..)

if you really want polys there..:
        https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=78

Comment

Ok, so the Rubycon that retiredcaps suggestion is what I'm gonna go with. Thank You much for your valuable Input!

Comment

Here is the info regarding the Nichicon bad batch with its series and date codes.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...=nichicon+2004
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You could do Rubycons, Nichicon HNs, HMs, Panasonic FMs (Maybe)...among others.

I think that was a bad batch of Nichicons from back in the day. Doesn't really happen anymore. Nichicon is solid. My favorite cap brand.

Comment

Thanks guys.. Already ordered a set of Rubycon.. wish me luck!

Comment

Originally posted by fastvan67 View Post
                  wish me luck!

Good luck!

One tip I'd like to mention is double check you've installed the capacitor is the correct polarity BEFORE soldering it in position
                  Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Working...
                  X