Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMG ! .. Asus Using Non Japan Solid Caps ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OMG ! .. Asus Using Non Japan Solid Caps ??

I read the article about Asus and the bad caps. I dont really care for what Gigabyte has to say.
    In my opinion Asus boards are way better than Gigabyte motherboards. Gigabyte motherboards are total shit. They underperform and dissapoint me as they just die for no apparent reason after a few months of use. All my clients who go and buy Gigabyte motherboards are stuck in the same boat as me, all of thier boards die after a few months and Gigabyte support just sucks.
    Asus on the other hand, I've never had a problem with.
    Every Asus motherboard I've had has lived through many years to what I can say are unbreakable boards.... much similar with Intel motherboards.
    Earlier this year I bought an Asus P5K-E WIFI motherboard and I'd have to say I am incredibly happy with it. Since we are having a discussion on what polymer caps Asus uses on thier motherboards, I thought I'd post a few pics of my P5K-E WIFI which has all solid polymer caps.

Now this rig runs a Pentium D 2.8GHz which is like an oven and it's left on all day.... now 6 months down the line I don't see a single problem with it.
    If I had bought a Gigabyte motherboard, I'd be seeing the shop every week by now. As some of you may know, I have had many rants on this forum about Gigabyte motherboards that I have owned in the past.

If possible can someone tell me what brand the polymer caps are on my Asus P5K-E WIFI that I have in those pics?

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

http://jp.fujitsu.com/group/fmd/en/services/capacitor/
      and
      http://www.apaq.com.tw/products/ap_conarec01_en.htm
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

LoL... from what i know Gigabyte Mobo's have a lot of trouble. not like Asus. At my workplace there a lot Gigabyte mobo sent to warranty claim after few month uses such as symtom POST Failure, cannot power on, BIOS problem .. lol .. +_+ ~

ASUS have warranty issue also, but not for P5Series ....but some of them have warranty but not like Gigabyte issue . Asus only have like being damage by lightning when customer using it ... lol sory for bad english =_=!
        Last edited by wan901; 05-23-2008, 03:49 AM.

Comment

i have not much experience with gigabyte. a friends athlon based one i recapped a while back, now its running flawlessly for years.

i have many asus boards working fine still after recapping.

gigabyte stands out though on the forum as having many instances of fets desoldering themselves and/or burning up. not the only one though. dunno about their new boards but several on the forum have them
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

P5K-V

oh nooouuu!
            mostly jap caps on this one!!!
            (mostly fujitsu and chemicon, according to
            http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/solidcapacitor.html )
            how can it be?

should be returned immediately because gigabyte said this was not possible...

you know, most of the things gb and asus put on their boxes and web-sites are just advertising gimmicks...
            (these pages
            http://www.giga-byte.com/FileList/We...070427_ud2.htm
            are mostly lies and rubbish.
            why? because well designed old board with good components is not worse than these new boards)
            in that aspect, gb takes these gimmicks(power savings and durability) and attacks asus with it...
            it's just silly.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
              P5K-V

oh nooouuu!
              mostly jap caps on this one!!!
              (mostly fujitsu and chemicon, according to
              http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/solidcapacitor.html )
              how can it be?

should be returned immediately because gigabyte said this was not possible...
              Is Gigabyte putting FUD on Asus, at least about capacitors?

Zandrax
              Have an happy life.

Comment

yes, and i would also call power graph comparisons a fud...
                in essence, they have nothing.

durability data they can't have because asus boards are being returned to asus, not to gb...power consumption is not an issue for most users...

like i said above, gb also has pages full of advertising gimmicks(essentially lies) which is easy to prove wrong...

one more thing: gb sounds like they come from a position where they put all-jap all-solid caps on all of their mobos, which is obviosuly not the case...

as bonez said
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_cal...e_kettle_black

Comment

Originally posted by acstech
                  We take what we can get. Show me a modern, currently in production being sold on Newegg motherboard that does not come from Taiwan / China.
                  I'm mostly just pointing out the irony. I don't really blame people for buying Taiwan motherboards. I had an Asus on my last computer and I use an ABit now, so it's not like I do anything different.

I haven't tried looking, and you might have to stray outside of Newegg, but it's probably not too hard to find basic-level boards from companies like Tyan, Supermicro, Intel, or whoever else isn't based in Taiwan/China. They do outsource the manufacturing nowadays but they're otherwise western companies and have always tended to use better caps (not just when it was good for marketing). Nobody has a perfect quality record but non-Taiwan/China brands have been much better overall.

Back in the past, I ended up with an American board for my K6 (Tyan) and didn't even do it intentionally - my local retailer had them in stock and it had the features I needed. But over time consumers have continued to prefer cheaper boards, so China/Taiwan does have most of the consumer market. It's what the people wanted.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned Asus and Gigabyte are about even keel.

I see a lot of people comparing a low end board of one to a higher end board of the other. When you compare two boards that are in fact comparable in the first place (same $$ range, same chipset) there isn't much difference.

Admittedly I haven't had many of either and the 'highest' chipset I've had from either one of them was i865 but regardless if Asus or Gigabyte they've both had about the same number of questionable caps.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                      Admittedly I haven't had many of either and the 'highest' chipset I've had from either one of them was i865 but regardless if Asus or Gigabyte they've both had about the same number of questionable caps.
                      Definitely true. I own an Asus and Gigabyte motherboard of the same class using the same chipsets etc. and both have questionable caps. The boards I am referring to are an Asus P4P800S-X and a Gigabyte GA-8i848P-G, both of which use an Intel 848P chipset, both are full ATX form factor and both have questionable caps.
                      The Asus uses Rubycon MBZ 1500uf 6.3V caps for the VRM output, Chemicon KZG 1500uf 16V for VRM input and Ltec 1000uf 6.3V caps everywhere else. Not a problem with that board after the repair by Asus.
                      The Gigabyte board on the other hand uses 3300uf 6.3V Sanyo WG caps for VRM output, and Sanyo WG 1500uf 16V caps for VRM input and G-Luxon 1000uf 6.3V caps everywhere else. Not a problem with that board after the repair either.
                      In this case, when compared to each other, the Gigabyte board scores more positive points for its use of higher capacitance caps and also implementing a 3 phase VRM compared to a 2 phase VRM on the Asus. But both boards use a mix of high quality Japanese caps and also a mix of Taiwan/ China branded caps which is a worry.
                      OK, now you may have noticed I said "after the repair" for both boards.... the explanation for that is the use of DEER and other low class PSUs which led to the frying of southbridges in months of each other. So in this case I cannot point my finger to which board is better because I am at fault as well for using low quality PSUs. But through my experience of other Gigabyte boards I have.... they are really bad quality. I have a socket 370 Gigabyte board that is flawless, a Socket A board that is flawless and a range of Gigabyte Socket 478 motherboards which are flawless after some tweaking. When I start talking about Gigabyte LGA775 based motherboards I start ripping my hair out because they are nothing but trouble. Asus LGA775 boards on the other hand are flawless and indestructible.

Today both of those i848P based boards are still in action, but with the use of Hipro/ Dell PSUs. Not a single problem since then.
                      Though, I will have to agree with PCBONEZ, both of those boards have the approximate same number of questionable caps.

Thanks.
                      Last edited by stevo1210; 05-24-2008, 09:34 AM.
                      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

anyone got any good pics of the supposed failed polys on the asus/gigabyte boards in question?
                        those blurry little banner pics dont show much.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                          anyone got any good pics of the supposed failed polys on the asus/gigabyte boards in question?
                          those blurry little banner pics dont show much.
                          are there any failed polys at all?
                          the only cases I can remember:
                          -the old Fujitsu 'hybrid poly' caps which can dry out
                          -one case on some forum where an overclocker managed to blow one up (can't remember either brand, but it was clearly due to his overclocking attempts with watercooling).

the ones Gigabyte is blaming Asus for are these:
                          http://www.apaq.com.tw/products/ap_conarea01_en.htm

-see stevo's pic for example.
                          Last edited by kikkoman; 05-25-2008, 10:56 AM.
                          "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

I agree that some mobo manufacturers are really running wild with pipes and stuff that will end up getting hot. And having a water pump inside a micro electronics (pcb) box , is not quite safe as far as I'm concerned , unless you just pipe it in and out of course with the pumps. As well , on most mobo's you will see that the memory is being chopped to 2gb , instead of 3 or 4gb.

In my travels I did see a mobo that allowed more than 8gb of onboard memory , but the key is to stop the CPU from heating up. My solution was to run my processor with the top of the line heatsink , that will not decrease the cooling , but it will in fact decrease the amount of heat held by the heatsink , I thought. I used an Intel E9300 , (Copper Core) Core Duo Heatsink , on a single core processor. This is done on the socket LG775 (4-hole) setup. Since I have fired up the board , there has not been any heat to be noticed , (finger on heatsink while running or metered). Works like I have never seen at 3000mhz on a 3gb processor (Intel 630). While my board can take on a 3.8gb processor , then overclock , I am yet to feel or measure any heat on the heatsink or on the mobo itself , not even warm.

This I thought was just the same old "base" temperature , but running games had no effect on the processor whatsoever either. Sticking with an aluminium heatsink , but changing the size is a good idea , and the fan will also have a capability to run faster.

System :
                            ECS RS400A -V1 (PCIe x16 & ECS Patented AGP 8x on same board) ATI NB & SB chipsets (Prescott Board)
                            Intel Prescott 630 CPU with E9300 Core Duo Heatsink (Copper Core)
                            Thermaltake Full Tower (Double High) Case - 9 slots
                            ATI Radeon HD2600XT (PCIe) 256mb Video Card
                            RocketFish 750 watt PSU (2nd tier mounted) (led lighted)
                            Nanya 1024mb 333mhz memory ( 2gb possible @ 400mhz - 2gb DDR2 @5300 possible )
                            Aopen XEAR 7.1 optical surround sound card
                            LG Optical DVD Rom
                            CoolJag USA.com 80mm case fan with led flashing temperature gauge (led text programmable)
                            WinXP Home Edition SP2
                            Maxtor 120g Hard Drive

Comment

It's a misconception that faster CPU always = more heat.
                              Sometimes yes but not always. It depends on the core.
                              Heat dissipation has been going down with newer cores overall.

Pentium 4 3Ghz about 85 watts
                              Core II Duo 3GHz only about 65 watts

And,
                              Socket 478 3.4GHz was over 100 watts,,, decent fan cooler worked fine.
                              Same with 3+ GHz Xeons.

As far as I'm concerned heat pipes and water pumps and all of that crap are all about selling flashy toys to the gamer boys.
                              I don't need it. I don't want it.

-
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                              -

Comment

If what you want is RAM go this route:
                                http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=355
                                http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=361
                                I think Supermicro has some similar that do 32GB.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210
                                  When I start talking about Gigabyte LGA775 based motherboards I start ripping my hair out because they are nothing but trouble. Asus LGA775 boards on the other hand are flawless and indestructible.
                                  No offense, but GIGABYTE does produce nice LGA775 motherboards. My GIGABYTE motherboard has been working without any flaws with a Pentium Dual-Core E2180 2.0GHz processor overclocked to 3.006GHz (which is much faster than your old Pentium D and consumes less power, while being cheaper than your Pentium D).

ASUS also produces excellent motherboards that I could recommend any day, but I don't want your bias spreading to people here like this:
                                  GIGABYTE - pure crap
                                  ASUS - really good motherboards
                                  My gaming PC:
                                  AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                                  ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                                  PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                                  G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                                  TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                                  WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                                  ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                                  Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                                  Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                                  Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                                  Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

As far as I'm concerned GIGABYTE = ASUS in quality.
                                    They are both hit-miss. Some good, some bad.
                                    -
                                    Back in the 'bad caps erra':
                                    - Gigabyte admitted the problem and would even send replacement caps.
                                    - Asus pretended there wasn't a problem.

I don't buy Asus anymore.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                      I don't buy Asus anymore.
                                      me neither...

i'm happy with my new Gigabyte P35-DS4 (Rev. 2.0)

but i wish they would've kicked the second (the orange) PCIe "x16" (electrically only x4) and put another "old" PCI slot there...

guess i have to buy a PCIe x1 Soundblaster.. (i need those 2 PCI slots for my TV Card and my PCI IDE Controller (i don't have SATA HDDs yet))
                                      Last edited by Scenic; 08-30-2008, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                                        guess i have to buy a PCIe x1 Soundblaster.. (i need those 2 PCI slots for my TV Card and my PCI IDE Controller (i don't have SATA HDDs yet))
                                        Hmm, the TV card and the hard disk controller require far more bandwith than an audio card: why not buying a PCIe ide controller instead, a bit cheaper than a good TV card? Or Sata -> Ide adapaters, which are fine if you've only one hdd and one cd player (for more units they cost more than a ide controller).

Zandrax
                                        Last edited by zandrax; 08-31-2008, 09:37 AM.
                                        Have an happy life.

Comment

well.. i've got lots of IDE HDDs floating around here...
                                          2x 250GB WD, 320GB Hitachi, 120GB Hitachi, 3x80GB, 5x40GB, 7x20GB

only 1 HDD is SATA (a cheap, slow excelstor 80GB i got for free a while ago... only useful for testing..)

i could get a SB Audigy for PCIe x1 for about 15€.
                                          that PCIe x1 IDE controller won't really help because there's only 1 additional IDE port...
                                          my PCI IDE Controller has 2 Ports (for 4 HDDs/optical drives).

and as my trusty old SB Live! Player 1024 (CT4830) is getting kinda flaky (sometimes it makes a buzzing sound as soon as i try to play something.. have to turn off the PC to stop it.. really annoying and not a driver or incompatibility problem) i guess it would be better spending money on a new soundcard than on an PCIe IDE Controller. (especially because i already have 3 of them for PCI)
                                          i'd rather have no sound at all than using crappy onboard sound"cards"
                                          Last edited by Scenic; 09-01-2008, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X