Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VIZIO E320VL Powers on then shuts off within a few seconds

Originally posted by jasonkgreen View Post
    I was having the same problem. It was a matter of the TV being on the RPG input.

This fixed it:

https://answers.vizio.com/hc/en-us/a...hen-shuts-off-
    Uh, I meant RGB input.

Comment

I have the exact issue with a 42" . I contacted visio and they told me to kick rocks because their is no firmware available for mine. So I tried replacing EE Prom U 18 with no result. Does anyone know of something else that would cause this. Is the issue the main board or PS? Just scratching my head at this point.
      Last edited by Exp0; 10-18-2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Exp0 View Post
        I have the exact issue with a 42" . I contacted visio and they told me to kick rocks because their is no firmware available for mine. So I tried replacing EE Prom U 18 with no result. Does anyone know of something else that would cause this. Is the issue the main board or PS? Just scratching my head at this point.
        You should start a new thread with your TV's makes and model in the thread name, make sure include good clear pictures.
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I had the same issue with my 50" Vizio. Thanks to you all I chatted with Vizio and they are sending me a new 55"

( 6m 44s ) Bentley: Here at VIZIO we pride ourselves in providing best in class U.S. based support. Have you contacted VIZIO in the past?
          ( 7m 8s ) Me: No, this is the first time
          ( 7m 39s ) Bentley: Good evening! Before we get started, I would like to gather some more information from you. May I please get your serial number for your VIZIO product, name of the store you bought it from, approximate date of purchase and the cost before tax?
          ( 10m 23s ) Me: Lwjanhan4201224 Wal-Mart about 3 years ago, around $900 I think.
          ( 14m 19s ) Bentley: Thank you the TV only powers on to the Vizio logo is that correct?
          ( 15m 3s ) Me: Yea and then immediately shuts off
          ( 15m 13s ) Bentley: Can you please do a power cycle for me?
          -Unplug TV from outlet
          -Press and hold in the power button on the TV and hold for 30 seconds. (The power button is located on the back of the TV along the bottom-left hand side.)
          -Release the power button
          -Plug in the TV
          -Power the TV back on
          ( 18m 43s ) Me: That didn't work. It's doing the same thing, it just shuts off
          ( 22m 1s ) Bentley: I can replace the TV for you. The model I can replace it with is E550i-B2. This is a 55 inch TV. I can email you the comparison of the 2 models.
          ( 22m 34s ) Me: Ok
          ( 23m 52s ) Bentley: You qualify for a replacement unit. This will be an on site swap in approximately 7-10 business days. We will ship the TV to a local facility in your area. Once they receive the unit, you will be contacted by them to set up a delivery date and time. This will typically be Monday through Friday 9am - 5pm. If the TV is wall mounted less than 5 feet from the floor, we can have them remove the TV from the wall mount for you. We will need to indicate in the order that it is wall mounted or the delivery agent will not remove it from the wall mount. The local delivery company will bring the unit into your home. They'll unbox it and power it up, but they will not set up or reconnect any cables or accessories. When you receive the replacement unit, please make sure the Delivery Agents power the TV on and you fully inspect the unit for damages or defects. If the unit is damaged or defective you need to refuse delivery and contact VIZIO immediately. If you accept a damaged or defective unit this may void your warranty and may prevent us from shipping another unit to you. When you receive your replacement there will be a recertified sticker on the box. This is a product that has left our warehouse new, but was returned for whatever reason. This unit goes through a strict Re-Certification process, and is held as a replacement unit for instances like this. It is like-new in all aspects; however we cannot sell it as new any longer. The replacement comes with either a 90 day warranty or the remaining balance of the manufacturer's warranty, whichever is longer. You are eligible to purchase an extended warranty for this replacement unit before that warranty expires.
          ( 23m 59s ) Bentley: What is your address and phone number?
          ( 26m 9s ) Me: (edited)
          ( 31m 22s ) Bentley: I have that all setup your case number is (edited)
          ( 32m 1s ) Me: Ok thank you!
          ( 39m 5s ) Bentley: Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?
          ( 40m 42s ) Me: Nope thank you

Comment

I had the exact same issue as been described by several post. I am in a unique position in that I had two of the exact type of units. I swapped power supply with the same results. I contacted VIZIO. I was not very happy with there customer service rep. She insisted my problem was with the power supply. After getting nowhere with her, I ordered the eeprom U18 from a site on ebay. Soldered it in, and everything came up working. I got a survey from VIZIO about my contact with their customer service. At least I got to vent. This seems like a design problem, that the EEPROM is so susceptible to corruption. without an easy way to restore to factory settings. VIZIO products. NEVER AGAIN........

Comment

I contacted vizio support and the told me they couldnt help me i was out of warranty.

Comment

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I'm having a similar issue with my Vizio M50-C1. I plug it in, power indicator on lower left side lights up then turns off. I press the power button, power indicator lights up, Vizio logo shows up on screen, then turns off after 3 secs. I see a faint light on the power indicator after it turns off. Power button does nothing. If I leave it plugged, it will power up after a minute and shows up the vizio logo screen then turns off again. This will cycle continuously.

I had the tv unplugged for several days then tried again and was surprised it work for about 30 mins before the problem happened again.

Hopefully some can help me on this. Not sure if it is the main board or the power supply. Have multimeter to test and can do simple soldering.

Comment

Hello. A lot of good info here.

If I understand this thread correctly, if you are having this problem and none of the power on/off input button holding, etc. works, it is most likely that the firmware was corrupted. This can be fixed by getting VIZIO to send you a magic black box that connects to the RGB and a USB flash drive that restores the firmware.

My question: This magic black box / USB solution actually restores the EEPROM chip to the original firmware. Is that correct? So if you can't get VIZIO to help you, you will need to replace the EEPROM with one that is sold on ebay for less than $10?
                  https://www.ebay.com/i/162149851945?chn=ps&dispItem=1

2nd Question: Has anyone figured out how to update the firmware without getting the magic black box from VIZIO? I was going to mess around with this but can't even find the firmware on VIZIO's support site.

Comment

Clarification on the 2nd question: Has anyone figured out how to update the original EEPROM chip firmware without getting the magic black box from VIZIO - and without having to buy a new EEPROM.

Comment

May be able to freeze eeprom and if tv works you can remove it freeze it read with eeprom reader and write to new chip
                      I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

I have the same power off issue on a Vizio TV that has been rarely used. It appears Vizio customer service has made the decision to NOT SUPPORT these older models. Bad decision as I will not support Vizio for my next purchase or purchases. Below is my chat transcript.

DJ (9/8/2017, 11:32:28 AM): Here at VIZIO we pride ourselves in providing best in class U.S. based support. Have you contacted VIZIO in the past?
                        Me (9/8/2017, 11:32:53 AM): I have not, but I believe my wife did back in Jan
                        DJ (9/8/2017, 11:32:56 AM): Welcome to chat! May I have your serial number of your unit please?
                        Me (9/8/2017, 11:33:11 AM): Serial LAUKHLAL2301014
                        DJ (9/8/2017, 11:34:39 AM): Thank you. I see we are chatting in about the unit powering off. How did you complete the power cycle?
                        Me (9/8/2017, 11:35:13 AM): 1- Unplug TV from outlet
                        2- Press and hold in the power button on the side of the TV for 30 seconds (while it is unplugged from the wall)
                        3- Release the power button
                        4- Plug in the TV
                        5- Power the TV on
                        DJ (9/8/2017, 11:36:10 AM): Thank you. When and where was this unit purchased?
                        Me (9/8/2017, 11:37:13 AM): Probably over 2 years ago, but TV was originally purchased for my sons xbox, then used as a guest tv when he moved out
                        DJ (9/8/2017, 11:37:45 AM): Alright. The unit would need to be repaired. VIZIO currently has one partner company who is certified to perform repairs on VIZIO TV's. You can reach them at ITI- (888)248-2708. ITI's hours are Monday-Friday 8 am-8 pm CST.
                        Me (9/8/2017, 11:39:32 AM): Yeah, I've checked on that. They want $185, I can buy another brand for the guest room for less than that now. I understand it is an EEPROM firmware issue and would like to get the download to fix it.
                        DJ (9/8/2017, 11:41:06 AM): We do not have a firmware that would resolve this.
                        Me (9/8/2017, 11:41:15 AM): It seems that some customer service reps send the firmware fix via USB without an issue while others are adamant about having a repair person.
                        DJ (9/8/2017, 11:41:43 AM): Unfortunately we do not, I apologize.
                        Me (9/8/2017, 11:43:08 AM): It seems the problem on this model is fairly consistent and vizio customer service has sent the firmware to correct in the past.
                        Me (9/8/2017, 11:44:11 AM): I have found the same issue on tv forums and half of the time vizio customer service sends the firmware fix for the Eeprom issue
                        DJ (9/8/2017, 11:45:00 AM): We do not, I do apologize, Len.
                        Me (9/8/2017, 11:45:04 AM): I do not understand why you would not send the fix. Or send me to someone who would
                        DJ (9/8/2017, 11:45:50 AM): Unfortunately we do not have this fix that you are speaking of.
                        Me (9/8/2017, 11:47:21 AM): where did others get it?
                        Me (9/8/2017, 11:47:30 AM): they said vizio customer service
                        DJ (9/8/2017, 11:48:42 AM): We cannot speak for them, we do not have an update. If we had one available, I would provide this to you.
                        Me (9/8/2017, 11:49:55 AM): that is what is so frustrating. I can send you copies of discussions with customer service that clearly indicate there is a firmware fix
                        DJ (9/8/2017, 11:51:00 AM): I understand this, however we do not have one available.
                        Me (9/8/2017, 11:55:55 AM): this tv is a little older, but as I said is in a guest room and gets minimal use. I may go get the EEPROM off of ebay, but your customer service and lack of interest to fix an issue on an older model, makes it an easier decision on what mode I will not buy to replace. In fact I need to replace a 55 inch in my living room due to a crack in the screen. If you guys helped me out, I would consider buying a 55 inch vizio. But since you guys have made a decision to NOT SUPPORT your older models; you make it easy for me to NOT BUY your brand again! Good customer service is important in gaining repeat customers.
                        DJ (9/8/2017, 11:57:30 AM): And I am trying to provide the best customer service that I can, but as I have said the update is not available. There is not one that can be provided, as I said I would have provided this if one were to be available.
                        Me (9/8/2017, 11:59:27 AM): My research tells me otherwise DJ. There is a fix and at one time you guys provided it. I have to hand it to you for staying on script, but your managements direction to you, lost another customer.
                        DJ (9/8/2017, 11:59:40 AM): We may have provided this at one point in time, but at this time, there is not an update that can be sent. I do apologize, Len.
                        Me (9/8/2017, 12:00:49 PM): I will be posting this on the repair forums. Tell your boss, bad decision not to support older models.
                        DJ (9/8/2017, 12:01:12 PM): I do apologize, Len.

Comment

Working...
                        X