Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sceptre X22 WG Gamer With Replaced Caps Turns off after 5-10 minutes

Greetings,
    I have a Sceptre 22" monitor that I have replaced the Caps on. They were Capxon Good stuff?. Before I attempted to replace them the monitor would not turn on. The led would blink off and on.
    Now I have replaced them and the monitor turned on bright. After 5 minutes it turned off. I then turn it back on and after 5-10 minutes it shuts off. I have lowered the brightness which did not help. I checked both the VGA and DVI connections and they work.
    Before I gave up I thought I would give you guys a shot at my problem. I am leaning to the Transistors or the MOSFET's. Do any of you have a solution? I have attached Photos.
    Any help appreciated
    Attached Files

Re: Sceptre X22 WG Gamer With Replaced Caps Turns off after 5-10 minutes

Originally posted by Logos077
    Greetings,
    I have a Sceptre 22" monitor that I have replaced the Caps on. They were Capxon Good stuff?. Before I attempted to replace them the monitor would not turn on. The led would blink off and on.
    Now I have replaced them and the monitor turned on bright. After 5 minutes it turned off. I then turn it back on and after 5-10 minutes it shuts off. I have lowered the brightness which did not help. I checked both the VGA and DVI connections and they work.
    Before I gave up I thought I would give you guys a shot at my problem. I am leaning to the Transistors or the MOSFET's. Do any of you have a solution? I have attached Photos.
    Any help appreciated
    What brand and series of caps did you use as replacements? Does the LED stay on or turn off when the monitor 'shuts off'? Is there anything showing the function of the pins in the upper left corner of the picture of the top?

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Bad tube(s), going into over-current protection shutdown.

CapXon is a known bad cap manufacturer. So, no, not good stuff.

That being said, the newer/fresher caps are -probably- okay for the time being.

>>I am leaning to the Transistors or the MOSFET's.<<
      Doubt -very- much that they are the problem.

Toast
      veritas odium parit

Comment

The Led's do not stay on. It is as if the monitor has been powered down.

Comment

The new Caps were Nichicon.
          The pins on the upper left corner connect to a cable that connects to the monitor.

Comment

The new Caps were Nichicon.
            The pins on the upper left corner connect to a cable that connects to the monitor.
            I know that. Is there any indication of the function of the individual pins? Something like GND, 5V, BL_ON, etc? I'm trying to establish if the power supply is shutting down or if the logic board thinks it's not getting any signal.

When you say 'Turn off, then on', do you mean the by On / Off button on the front of the monitor, or are you turning the AC power off, then on?

Nichicon is a good brand, but they make different series of caps, depending on the application. What series?

What is the history of the monitor? Is this something that you have been using for a couple of years before it failed, or did you find it in a dumpster last week?

And a reverse angle view of the power supply / inverter board would be nice, as well as an overall shot of the entire inside of the monitor.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Sorry, I'll get the Specs on the pins. I used the monitor for about 2 years then it just went black. I stumbled across this forum and thought I would give it a try. I will get pictures and post them. Thank you for our help.

Comment

I cannot find the indications of the functions on the connector Pin at the top of the Board.
                I turn off the monitor using the buttons on the front of the monitor.
                I used nichicon Caps series B8035 and MERITEK no series numbers.
                I took some more pictures of all sides of the board.
                Thank you again.
                Attached Files

Comment

I cannot find the indications of the functions on the connector Pin at the top of the Board.
                  I turn off the monitor using the buttons on the front of the monitor.
                  I used nichicon Caps series B8035 and MERITEK no series numbers.
                  I took some more pictures of all sides of the board.
                  Thank you again.
                  Shoot!!! It looks like this is what I call a 'top loader' design. The housing for the electronics is attached to the back of the case. The power supply / inverter and what appears to be the audio amplifier are mounted into the housing, then the LCD panel goes on top of that. And this is one of those where the logic board is integrated into the panel electronics. I suspect there is no way to check the output of the power supply with the LCD panel in place.

There are two possibilities:

1. The rebuilt power supply is working perfectly, but something is wrong with the logic card / panel electronics. If that is true, the monitor cannot be economically repaired.

2. The replacement caps have too high an ESR, allowing electronic 'noise' to get into the panel electronics. That is your last hope.

B8035 is not a Nichicon series; it's probably a production date or lot number. The Meritek web site is not encouraging ("New Web Site Launch Soon"). Where did you buy the capacitors? Do you have part numbers from either the vendor or the manufacturer?

And one more question that was never answered. When the monitor shuts down after 5 minutes, what do you have to do to get it turned on? Do you press the power button on the side of the monitor, or do you have to unplug it (or otherwise turn off the power) to get it to restart?

PlainBill

Comment

I purchased the Caps at a local electronic shop not Radio Shack. I did use some caps rated at 470uf 35v, Rather than the 470uf 25v. The tech at the shop said it would not be a problem.
                    To turn the monitor back on I push the Power button.

Comment

Sorry the only other info on the cap is B8035 and a VZ(M)

Comment

Sorry the only other info on the cap is B8035 and a VZ(M)
                        That's the story. VZ is a general purpose Nichicon cap, not designed for use in switching mode power supplies. They are so far from having the desired qualities they aren't even on the good caps list.

A quick (and not particularly expensive if you are in the US) fix is to make up a list of the original caps. Make sure you know the maximum height and diameter you use for each cap. It is NOT necessary to replace the large cap, particularly if you have already replaced it.

This post has a step by step process for identifying suitable replacements. I prefer Panasonic FM or FC series, but other vendors (including Nichicon) also have excellent low ESR caps. If you are outside the US the 'Frequently Asked Questions' section has suggestions for reputable vendors. From Digikey the cost for a complete set of replacements would be under $10, including shipping by First Class mail.

NOW for a warning. I can't promise this will work. The monitor may have other problems. But in my opinion it's your best chance of getting it working again. If someone else disagrees with me (in particular Wizard or PC BONEZ), listen to them.

PlainBill

Comment

Thank you. I will get replacements and try again.

Comment

Good News!!
                            The I ordered Low ESR Caps from Digikey, Panasonic Fm series. These new Caps proved to be the difference. The monitor works again. Thank you for all of your help.

Comment

Good News!!
                              The I ordered Low ESR Caps from Digikey, Panasonic Fm series. These new Caps proved to be the difference. The monitor works again. Thank you for all of your help.
                              That's why members are advised not to buy at Radioshack or other local stores because even if they have the correct V and uF ratings, the caps they sell are normally General Purpose. Better (and not expensive) order from Digikey (if in the US).
                              There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                              • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                              • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                              • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                              • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                              • Windows 10 Pro x64
                              • GeForce GT1050
                                2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Hello all, great site!

I also have a 22inch Sceptre (x22wg) LCD and am having the very same problem with it. I'd called Scpetre support and they recommended that I just buy a new monitor as repairing it wouldn't be cost effective!?! I might end up buying a new monitor (not a sceptre mind you) but I'd like to try and fix this one if at all possible.

Logos007, would you kindly post the part list that your ordered from digikey so I can order the same ones?

Lastly, can someone give me some pointers on disassembling the case on this puppy? I haven't attempted to remove the case yet as I was hoping for few best practices or pointers before I give it a crack. er.. no pun intended

thx in advance.

Comment

Got the monitor opened and boards out. Seems that my board is is slightly different so I'm assuming the models aren't spot on - regardless, should I replace all the caps? The giant on towards the middle doesn't have any visible markings besides TAICON and the 470uF25v certainty look like they're bulging a little.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

couldn't find a way to edit the post so I'm sorry for all the consecutive posts here.

after searching on Digikey I can't seem to find the right size cap replacements?

The 470uF25v on the board currently are 8mm x 16mm with a pitch of 3.5mm. My search seems to only be turning up 8mm x 20mm which will be too long. I'm not sure what to do next.

Comment

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12388-ND
                                      they will be back in stock 12/10.
                                      i use a ton of these.

Comment

Originally posted by motzilla
                                        couldn't find a way to edit the post so I'm sorry for all the consecutive posts here.

after searching on Digikey I can't seem to find the right size cap replacements?

The 470uF25v on the board currently are 8mm x 16mm with a pitch of 3.5mm. My search seems to only be turning up 8mm x 20mm which will be too long. I'm not sure what to do next.
                                        Hello Motzilla
                                        Best replace all as TAICON caps have a bad failure rate (leave the big one that's on its side, as it rarely fails in monitors)
                                        No problem with consecutive post as you only get 10 mins to Edit (a pain init)
                                        If you have the room for the 20mm caps then you could go with them (are you sure yours are 3.5 leg spacings on the 470s etc???)
                                        Have you read post 12 of this thread and gone to the two links on it and read them, they will help
                                        If you can wait there will be members that can give you better Info on your caps later on in the day, in the meantime can you post Series, uf, Voltage, diameter, heigh' leg spacings etc, of each cap as this will help them to help you

Comment

Working...
                                        X