Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway FPD2185W

Hi BadCaps folks,

After recently admitting defeat with my Samsung 912N and its bad proprietary smd chip, I am once again back in the monitor fixing game with my new newest acquisition, a Gateway FPD2185W. This morning, the original owner described the symptom as being the classic 'two seconds to black', which was my cue to squeeze him harder on the price. So I'm into it for twenty bucks.

I took it home, and happy to say that the symptoms were more along the lines of bad capacitors. I opened it up - I must say that I prefer the way the Samsungs open up instead - and ran my fingers over the tops of the caps, and two felt bloated. I then took out my newly assembled Blue ESR meter, and measured the ESR of each cap, even the small ones. Indeed, the bloated caps were high, as were the two small ones. I then heeded Retiredcaps' advice of a few weeks back, and went through my little bag of bad or replaced caps, and found a few that weren't quite as bad, and for testing purposes I soldered them in place, and lo and behold, the monitor came back to life.

So - I plan on ordering a complete set of caps for the power board. Should I plan on replacing the caps on the logic board as well? Anything else to replace as long as it's all apart?

Re: Gateway FPD2185W

Originally posted by LAS View Post
    Should I plan on replacing the caps on the logic board as well?
    The main/logic board caps don't undergo the same stress as those on the SMPS power board. In many cases the main/logic caps are general purpose caps.

I rarely recap the main/logic board unless there is an obvious bloated cap.

There is only one monitor that I recommend an entire cap of every single capacitor (main, logic, and inverter) and that is the Hanns G 28 inch lcd monitor.

I love the easy fixes sometimes.
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 04-21-2012, 10:16 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

A bunch of info about this monitor in this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8961

If you have bad lamps on yours, run away quickly!!! They are a major pain to replace.

Comment

So it is all good news with this monitor. This past week I received my new caps, and now that I am back from my business trip I had the opportunity to put them all in place, and the monitor works as it should. I also had to order from Digikey a new power cord - it doesn't use a standard one and instead uses the one with the three circles in a triangular pattern.

My wife claimed the monitor before I even considered what to do with it, and we were immediately impressed by the colors and contrast which were superior to the Hannspree it replaced. We also liked how it also has a four port usb hub, and to that I connected the mouse, keyboard, webcam and Google Voice/Skype headset. It removed a lot of clutter down below.

It was also interesting to do an ESR check of all the caps that were replaced. The highest I found was in the smallest 10uf cap, which confirms the concept of changing all the caps and not just the bloated ones.

So once again I am back in search mode for another project. This morning on Craigslist I saw a 20" Westinghouse with two seconds to black for $50, but I can think of better ways to spend my time and money. So the search continues.

Thanks to all for your continued help on my projects.

Comment

Originally posted by LAS View Post
          This morning on Craigslist I saw a 20" Westinghouse with two seconds to black for $50, but I can think of better ways to spend my time and money. So the search continues.
          That seller must be in a coma if they think they're going to get $50 for a non-working monitor. You should make an offer. When they realize that you're the only one making an offer, they will probably accept it.

And good work on the Gateway!

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
            That seller must be in a coma if they think they're going to get $50 for a non-working monitor.
            +1. Sometimes, I will offer to trade a working 17 inch monitor in exchange for a larger monitor. I have been successful on a couple of trades with this idea.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

+2 you wont get anything if you don't ask. Im good at getting monitors for cheap I just haven't got the hang of selling them yet
              Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
              Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                The main/logic board caps don't undergo the same stress as those on the SMPS power board. In many cases the main/logic caps are general purpose caps.

I rarely recap the main/logic board unless there is an obvious bloated cap.

I have a 2185 as my main monitor. I got it for free and re-capped it.
                If I remember correctly there were 3 caps on the logic board that were possibly bloated so I replaced them. Awesome monitor, mine's been 100% since then, and it's been over a year.
                I did a search, couldn't find it. I think it's been 2 years at least.
                36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Smason, in the end I decided not to remove the logic card and change its three caps. They looked fine, and indeed they work fine too.

If the monitor develops any other issues, I will replace them first, but for now I'll just assume that they aren't overly stressed and will last a while.

So my wife was upgraded to a 21" from a 20", and I gave my mom her 20" which was a huge change from her 17", and I'll give mom's 17" to a friend who only uses her laptop display.

Comment

Working...
                  X