Dell w3000 LCD TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell w3000 LCD TV

This TV works now but the left side of the screen (exactly 50% of the display) is distorted. The right side is fine.

I'm wondering if the problem is the T-Con or the display itself. Hoping somebody here has some insight.

Attached is a picture of the T-Con board.
    Attached Files

Re: Dell w3000 LCD TV

Simple answer check these particular ribbon cables are secure, otherwise get another T-CON board.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
      Simple answer check these particular ribbon cables are secure, otherwise get another T-CON board.
      Checked ribbon cables and connectors and found nothing wrong.

Will order T-CON. Thanks wizard!

Comment

Tcon arrived today and I installed it...

But now there is another problem. The green power led turns on but the backlights do not. The guy I got this tv from told me that ocassionally the tv would act this way... so I knew I would have to deal with this but I am a bit fustrated as I have no idea whether or not the new tcon board has fixed the display issues.

I do not believe this is a power supply issue as all voltages are correct and stable. I also checked esr on the power supply caps when I first got the tv and they measured fine. I measured 24 volts going into both inverter boards (I am unfamiliar with this design but I assume it is some sort of master and slave setup?). I also measured 3.3 v on the on/off pin of the inverter board which is fed from the a/d board so it appears the tv is trying to turn on the inverter.

Didn't have time to figure out why the backlights aren't firing but I plan to start by checking caps on the inverter boards. The caps are sam young nxb series. Hopefully the problem is those caps but I suspect it may be something else. When I get time I will look up datasheets for inverter controllers and do some investigative troubleshooting.

Original owner said that whenever the tv would not turn on he would cycle the power button numerous times until it finally started normally... sounded like bad caps at the time but now I'm not so sure. Hopefully it isn't the backlights as I HATE taking appart the display.

Sorry, no pics yet. My camera is on the fritz atm.
        Last edited by aliasdck; 04-19-2010, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Good/bad news:

When I powered up the tv this morning for further testing the tv and backlights fired right up... but the left side of the display is still distorted just as it was before replacing tcon. The tcon I ordered was used so its possible it is faulty as well but I doubt it. I believe the fault lies in the lcd daughter board. I noticed today that the distortion would change as I moved or flexed the display.

I tried reseatting ribbon cables several times and even swapped their positions but the problem always remained on the same half of the screen.

Ill pack up the tv and keep it for parts in case I ever run across another one.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose... but either way you learn a little a long the way.

Comment

Have you tried replacing the Caps on the inverter, for the side that is on the fritz? I have this same TV and I changed the TCON and it didn't fix it.. so I switched out the caps on both inverter's and it was fixed for 1 day. The next day, for some reason, I have again a Redish Band about 4 inches wide on one side that kinda solarizes. I found that being the middle screw hole on the top of the TV CAsing is broken.. that when I hold the top together tighter, the TV works better. I'm going to open it back up tomarrow and see if the caps are blown.

Comment

You do realize this post is 3 and a half years old?

Flexing the display and viewing changes in the distortion would be a bad panel. Putting pressure on and getting a clearer picture certainly shows a bad panel. It is unrepairable.
              Last edited by newtothis; 11-22-2013, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X