No boot now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No boot now!

Yes, I did. 40 pin vs 40 wire. He was/is having a frustrating time of it. I simply want(ed) confirmation by looking at the pictures.

@370forlife-
    Do you have a know working HD with an OS that you can swap in temporarily to test this? Just a HD, no CD.
    veritas odium parit

Comment

I am completely baffled by this motherboard. It is completely fine in the bios, but as soon as it gets past post and tries to boot, it completely freezes up.

Anyone have any suggestions, because it is not the IDE cables, and not to the power supply either. I think it might need a new bios, but you have to update it from one of the worst medias ever created...floppy, and of course it dosen't boot so you can't boot off the floppy to update the bios.

Comment

Originally posted by sofTest
        If on separate cables, your HD should be set to master and connected to the middle of the cable, and the DVD as slave connected to the and of the cable. This is how it should work. If you run into trouble, try connecting the DVD to the end of the cable with the HD, as a slave.
        I dunno where you got that from as I was always told and have read that the master goes on the end of the cable with slave in the middle.. although in practice it makes no difference.

However, if you have only one drive connected to a cable, it should be on the END of the cable, as otherwise you have a length of cable unterminated.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
          I am completely baffled by this motherboard. It is completely fine in the bios, but as soon as it gets past post and tries to boot, it completely freezes up.

Anyone have any suggestions, because it is not the IDE cables, and not to the power supply either. I think it might need a new bios, but you have to update it from one of the worst medias ever created...floppy, and of course it dosen't boot so you can't boot off the floppy to update the bios.
          I assume you've tried it with JUST the floppy connected, set to the correct size in the bios, and a Bootable floppy in the drive [and a CMOS clear just for good luck] ?

hit <esc> to boot...
          reminds me of the GRUB boot sequence...

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey
            I dunno where you got that from as I was always told and have read that the master goes on the end of the cable with slave in the middle.. although in practice it makes no difference.
            Agreed. I have 2 different cables in front of me atm, 1x 80-pin and 1x 40-pin from an HP PC. Both are labled "Master" at the end plug and "Slave" in the middle.

However, I too believe that it shouldn't make a difference as long as the jumpers are set correctly. In that case, they should override cable setting.

370 - have you tried booting with the CD in another system? Maybe the program you used does not support burning bootable CDs.

Comment

used imgburn with a legitimate windows xp pro 64bit iso downloaded from microsoft MSDN (my brother has a subscription through his company,) imgburn is what I used to burn my server 2003 disk, and that worked on my other server.

Comment

Is this the same board as in your other threads - the X6DAL-G?

If so, then I'd guess the countdown is coming from the RAID controller. Disabling it and/or the SATA ports might help.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty
                  40 wire should be used on the CD as it is not recommended to use 80 wire.
                  Enjoy running your UltraDMA-capable optical drive in PIO mode.

I've had motherboards that didn't want to boot from the CD unless I set ALL the boot devices to CD-ROM so it could not argue with me. Was this tried?
                  Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

"recommended" is the key word there. Up until now.

He's not talking about using new drives here. It's not a new system. We had to pry the info out as to what cable(s) he was/is using.

Maybe we should have a form to fill out before you start a topic. You'd need to describe exactly and precisely what equipment and all the nuances of same before you can begin the thread. Then we can start crucifying people when they make an error or mis-statement.

~She's a witch! She's a witch~

Whatcha think?

Toast
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

First... I would have to have a basis for believing that there is something bad about using an 80-wire cable for any device on the IDE channel. As I recall it, the only difference is that the 80-wire has several more ground wires in-between the data wires to prevent cross-talk.

So what is the reason for not recommending running an 80-wire cable on older PIO-only devices?
                      Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Arrrgh! My brain hurts. Ahhhhh... much better...

Sorry if I sounded a bit gruff there. Just my nature. Seems like I've had my junk jumped on in this thread and others in the past few days.

It did/does depend on the mobo and how the secondary port was wired. Some would not work with the 80 wire, only with the 40. The CD Freaks forums for a long time recommended it. Now their tune is changing as the newer mobo's are making both channels 80 wire compatible.

There were problems that the CD/CD-R/DVD drives connected to the secondary IDE port on the mobo would not be recognized or would respond poorly using the 80 wire cable. I had the experience personally with several systems, and just got used to doing it that way. My ASUS P5AD2-E from 3 years ago, came with the 80 wire for the primary and 40 wire for the secondary.

If it was on the primary port, the the 80 was not a problem. Except, hooking the optical to the same channel as the hard drive can/does kill system I/O performance.

The X6DAL manual says both channels are ATA-100, so the 80 wire should work here.

Toast
                        veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                        X