Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

apc be325.better than expected after external battery test.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apc be325.better than expected after external battery test.

fully expected this thing to overheat or have a firmware timer.most of these newer units are disposable junk compared to the old bulletproof metal units.seems to be oem by cyberpower.
    last cyberpower unit i tried this with overheated in about 30 min at nearly full load.by the time i smelled the hot transformer it went bang and smoked grandly.stunk up the shop real good.
    Attached Files

Re: apc be325.better than expected after external battery test.

HAHA well thats what happens when you wire them to a car battery... I've done that with some of the old school APC's.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Are those cell caps I see? Is that a flooded lead acid battery, Gel cell, or AGM?

You'll probably need an external charging circuit for the larger battery the wimpy charger inside will probably give up if the battery is deeply discharged.

That tiny unit shipped with a 12V 7-8 ah I take it?
      Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-10-2011, 04:53 PM.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I tried an experiment with my SmartUPS 700 over the holidays.
        I removed the 2 "need replacing" 12v gel cells, then re-connected them.
        It still said they needed replacing. Then I replaced them with new ones, but didn't tell the firmware that I had replaced them. on the next self-test it said they were good.
        I'm fairly confident that the old ones probably dropped too far in voltage under load, and that no counter or time was involved.
        I stopped short of any scientific controlled load testing (lack of motivation mainly)
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Some UPS units have the battery at mains potential - be careful!
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I highly doubt the charging circuit is at mains potential it should be isolated by a transformer.

The cheaper UPSs don't have battery harnesses with special shielded connectors that connect into the unit. They have exposed metal spade connectors that connect directly to the F2 terminals on the battery. I highly doubt APC would risk liability by leaving the charging circuit unisolated as it would be way too easy to get a shock.

Now the heatsinks for the transistors driving the inverter are live when it's running but that's about it.
            Last edited by Krankshaft; 01-14-2011, 08:55 PM.
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
              I highly doubt the charging circuit is at mains potential it should be isolated by a transformer.
              Even those with large transformers show there is no guarantee that the battery is not isolated from the mains.
              My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

As I god a pretty serious shock from an UPS (Mustek 600VA-garbage), I don't trust them even one bit and neither should you.

Comment

update.the cheapie apc blew up under full load once the battery voltage dropped.the heatsinks are non existant and when the duty cycle came up the mosfets blew up.
                  otoh the smart ups 650 i built up for a neighbor ran 3 days non stop on a set of 4 8d truck batteries.storm took out a bank of transformers.my best power 850 ran 3 days too.mostly running the cable modem and router but also a desk fan and laptop.10 4d and 8d in paralell.my ncr 3kva ran the fridge every few hours and the main pc with its 37"plasma.5 4d in series.on the best power and apc i added a fan switched from the logic so it only runs when on battery.nice not to need a noisy generator!

Comment

Working...
                  X