Gateway FPD1730 LCD Monitor - all horizontal lines/static

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway FPD1730 LCD Monitor - all horizontal lines/static

I have a Gateway FPD1730 LCD Monitor with a messed up display. See photo - looks like all horizontal lines, can't see any real image, almost looks like static. I suppose this could be a LCD screen issue, but since I don't have one to swap in I wanted to get your opinion. Could it be a board issue where it's getting a bad signal from the board to the LCD? Or is it simply a bad LCD screen?

All caps look OK physically - nice and flat.

I measured voltages coming from the power supply/inverter board.
    Pins labeled and measured as follows:

12V: 13.63 in standby, 12.23 ON
    12V: 13.63 in standby, 12.23 ON
    ground: 0
    5V: 5.02
    5V: 5.02
    [blank]: 0
    [blank]: 0
    PWR: 4.68V and I think I saw this one vary, not sure
    Bright: 1.41V
    [blank]: 1.41

Are the PWR and Bright voltages correct? What might the problem be?

Thanks for your help!

NOTE: I tried to upload using manage attachments, but the jpgs failed for some reason. I'll try again in a second post
    Last edited by Rolin; 02-13-2012, 08:03 PM.

Re: Gateway FPD1730 LCD Monitor - all horizontal lines/static

resized the photos and they went through this time!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rolin; 02-13-2012, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Looks like the output voltages are good, so I don't suspect the power supply. Try checking the voltages of the two regulators circled in your photo. Use one of the mounting screws for your ground probe.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply

From the top lead on down

Top regulator

Bottom Regulator

Does this look like a typical LCD screen issue? Or does it appear more like a board issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Rolin View Post
          Top regulator

Bottom Regulator

The top part number is 33AZ and bottom is 33AH.

The top one has an output voltage of 3.29V which leads me to believe the 33 denotes the output voltage.

Going by that logic, 33AH should have an output voltage of the same.

The only problem with this theory is that 2.5V is a common output voltage as well.

I normally see more "obvious" part numbers like AS1117-33 where the suffix denotes the output voltage.

So my guess would be to try and replace the bottom regulator with a AS1117-33 or equivalent.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yes, the "33" on both regulators threw me off too, but I was able to sneek a peek at the schematic and if it's the same logic board and if the bottom regulator is labeled U803, then the output is 2.5V.

Assuming proper output voltages:

1) with power off, try reseating the wiring harness on the right side of the board.

2) possibly bad caps on the logic board.

3) possibly bad control board on the LCD panel itself.

Comment

Couple of questions:

If they were both 3.3V based on the part number, what is the difference between AZ and AH? Can we tell who the manufacturer is, maybe I can find a spec sheet?

Is 4.59V with in spec? I assume it should be 5V?

I guess I'm still trying to confirm whether this is a typical fault of the screen itself. I work on a lot of laptops, and I could easily swap out the screen with something compatible to test - not so easy on the LCD monitors - I just don't have one. I have certainly seen LCD screens on laptops look somewhat similar to my problem, but it's not exactly the same issue, and it's not as common of a failure. Has anyone seen this type of screen problem before? Was it a board issue or the screen itself?

Thanks again guys - I'm really glad I discovered this forum. Never knew there was so much colaboration on LCD monitor repair online.

Comment

I guess I was typing when you were posting. I'll reread your post and check a few things....

Comment

The bottom regulator is U803, so I guess 2.5V is OK? Reseated the cable on the logic board again, still no change. I'm starting to think it's the LCD screen itself - or as you mentioned the control board on the LCD screen. I don't believe there is anything I can do with the LCD control board, is there? At that point the LCD screen would need replacement, right? Not really worth putting any more effort in this old monitor I suppose. Unless you can think of something else....?

Comment

Unless you can think of something else....?
                    On these lcd monitors, there is a panel card that sits at the top of the lcd underneath the metal shield (#3 in jetadm123's post). Sometimes they have a voltage regulator. You can check that as well.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks, I just confirmed what I thought - I have a viewsonic that I'm waiting for a part for (I think you helped me with that one! - part should be here in a couple of days), so I took the LCD screen from the viewsonic and plugged into this Gateway with the horizontal line issue - the viewsonic screen looks perfect on the gateway. This confirms the LCD screen is faulty, and the boards and cable are OK.

In the process I checked for regulators on the LCD controller board, found one that had a part number 117M3, under that number is 0320. Readings were 4.87V, 3.34V, 2.07V - no idea what it means, is it correct?

What are the chances of fixing the LCD controller board, or is it time to scrap the monitor?

Comment

This confirms the LCD screen is faulty, and the boards and cable are OK.
                        Maybe you can sell the working boards on ebay?

In the process I checked for regulators on the LCD controller board, found one that had a part number 117M3, under that number is 0320. Readings were 4.87V, 3.34V, 2.07V - no idea what it means, is it correct?
                        The middle pin is usually the output pin. 3.34V is a common value so it is likely good. 0320 is probably the date code? 2003 week 20?

edit: Save the ccfls as a "known" good set for future testing.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks again guys - I'm really glad I discovered this forum. Never knew there was so much colaboration on LCD monitor repair online.
                          There are a handful of regulars that contribute in this area. Since they are somewhat readily available either free or low cost, it is a good way to learn about electronics and component level repair.

All my monitors at home are castaways that I have component level fixed.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I think I'll hold on to it for a while. I really hate disposing of this type of electronics - I have a recycler who picks up all my electronic scrap, but I still like to recycle in a way that someone can use it. I have about 10 LCD Monitors that need some sort of repair other than easy cap replacement (I fixed the easy cap replacemnt LCD's already) - these are the left over harder component level problems. I might find a way to use the parts from this one to fix another one at some point.

I always like a good challenge, and I really enjoy learning how to repair something new - always satifying taking someones trash and making it someones treasure! This must be the place!

Comment

Working...
                            X