Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Originally posted by silvertongue View Post
    hi,, i hope one will answer me. I have a Toshiba l300,, it has power but no display on the screen. Before that thing happened, the laptop turns off whenever i charge it. But if i dont connect it with AC adapter, everything works fine. Also, there are various colored lines on the screen when I charge it. then,, after a few days, the laptop did not display anything when i push the power button.

Is the NEC/TOKIN the problem?

Can i use 6.3V 10%, 4x 330(microFarad)??? thanks
    I also got same primary issues but display was there till i replaced nec/tokin with 330e09x5

Comment

Hey guys, I am planning on doing this on my Toshiba A300. I have removed the NEC/TOKIN OE907 and need to buy the four 330uf 2.5v tantalun SMD capacitors.

I called some local shops and they said they need to know the physical size (length) of the capacitors, as they come in several different sizes.

Could someone please tell me the right size? Thanks.

Comment

I'm glad I found this site. I had an old A200 laptop in the shed that I wanted to get working for my daughter to play on. I pulled it out and found the symptoms that everyone is experiencing, and was at a total loss. I pulled it all apart, cleaned out all the dust from the heat pipe and fan, applied new heat sink paste and put it all back together again.

No change. Spent a couple of hours googling and found this site. I've just ordered 10 TOKIN OE128 from Singapore. If anyone around Brisbane AU needs one PM me in a couple of days and I'll pass one on.

Comment

Originally posted by guest7.3 View Post
          Could someone please tell me the right size? Thanks.
          Something similar to this might work for you and others (OE128) as well: http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p...solid/0147639/

Comment

hello can i use 2x 470uf 10v and 100uf 10v. i cant find 330uf here in my country.

Comment

Originally posted by rxtxgnd01 View Post
              hello can i use 2x 470uf 10v and 100uf 10v. i cant find 330uf here in my country.
              It is really difficult to answer questions when the information provided is incomplete. Which Proadlizer (OE907, OE128, etc) are you trying to replace? What is the ESR (and other specs) of the caps you are trying to buy?

It is important to remember that the total ESR of caps connected in parallel is given by:
              (1/ESRtotal) = (1/ESRcap1) + (1/ESRcap2) +…………..
              If all caps have the same ESR then:
              ESRtotal = (ESR of an individual cap/total number of caps)
              The rated ESR of OE907 is 1.5 mOhm and that of OE128 is 2 mOhm so the total ESR of all the caps (calculated as above) should be close to those values ( http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Capacitors_and_ESR ) though a higher value might still work. People here have sometimes reported that X number of caps did not work but X+1 worked. If only they knew the ESR of their caps we could have got some idea of the maximum ESR value caps that are most likely to work (assuming ESR was the main factor in their caps working or not working). Therefore, for the present, choosing suitable caps still seems to involve some trial and error process. Additionally, one may have to consider other specs of the caps as well.

People here are against using exact replacement because of the expected short life of Proadlizers. However, my exact replacement (i.e., OE128) has worked perfectly for over two months and seems to be still going strong despite the core temperatures often reaching up to 80 degC. The temperatures might go up further during peak summer. I will immediately report here if and when the replaced OE128 fails.

Comment

Have you had the machine on at maximum temperature for 24/7 those two months? The Proadlizers are only rated for 1000 hours at 105 degrees.

Comment

No, not 24/7. My best estimate of total usage would be a little over 200 hours with continuous usage never exceeding 10 hours, most of which was around 70 degC. Rarely, under heavy usage, it has hit 80 degC. I am definitely going to take measures to keep it mostly around 70 and never to exceed, say 85. Therefore, I would be very happy if my OE128 gives me the rated endurance because 1000hrs at 105 might translate to at least 2 years of life for my usage. This link provides some hints of life calculation: http://www.low-esr.com/endurance.asp#Solid
                  However, my replacement OE128 may be even worse than the original one that had come with the laptop and had worked trouble free for 2 years and with increasing restart problems for another two years. In fact, I have small caps ready for replacement, just in case.

Comment

Hey, I live in Ghana and am facing the same problem (since Jan,2011).... am excited about changing the NEC/TOKIN crap but I don't have access to any Tantalum caps so ... could any one suggest some informed IMPROVISATIONS
                    ..........THANKS

Comment

hi there people.
                      i have a toshiba a200-21p.
                      the board ref is: iskaa la-3481p rev 2a.

i have read all over the internet but my motherboard doesnt have the oe128 chip.
                      instead it has a group of almost 20 small caps in the same place.

does anyone have a clue of how maybe take out all those caps and excange them for other of bigger capacity?

thanks

Comment

i have also toshiba satellite L300 power problem!but i fixed this using 4*330uf capacitor.
                        unfortunately 20minutes later with charger connected condition i am watching a movie then display gone.like ghost image,then its restart.and no display...!i give to heat gpu but no display.but the laptop running well,both charging light and start light is well,what is the next procedure??please help me sir.

Comment

hello everybody !i have a toshiba l 300 which is a realy nightmare.i can`t install an os because is restarting itself when trying starting windows for the first time .and the very bad part is that after some retarting it give me a bad image on display,thing that make me think to a video chip problem .am i wrong? and b.t.w. tomorrow i will try the thing with the cap.wait for some answers.thanks!

Comment

hello .good news. i just put some flux on the nec/tokin cap and reflow it.and now the toshiba l300 work ok for about 3hours .keep it in tests.but for now it`s ok.and i hope it`s forever.

Comment

I've had a Toshiba Satellite laptop that I imagine would be affected by this (It's an A215-S7422). I've had the laptop since Fall of 2007 but it only has about 2,000 hours on it and has not been thermally stressed in excess of anything (though it has been power cycled an equal amount of times, and now I especially maintain decent temperatures - I keep them below 60C and as often as I can below 50C CPU wise) so I haven't experienced this issue yet. But I now fear using it knowing this impends along the horizon, though.....

Something else that came to my notice in the link...

8. Charging and Discharging the Proadlizer

Do not use the Proadlizer in circuits where the Proadlizer is repetitively
                              charged and discharged rapidly. Repetitively charging
                              and discharging the Proadlizer rapidly may reduce the capacitance
                              or may cause damage due to internal heating.
                              Did Toshiba just put a capacitor in the vicinity of the CPU that isn't designed to be charged and discharged (knowing that the switching of the voltage seems to be the culprit with this gradually dying capacitor), meaning it fails with the AC adapter plugged in because laptops are charged and discharged all the time (I know the battery is being charged, but maybe that's not the only thing affected?)? It explains why they fail. Those capacitors are not suited to do anything pertaining to charging if excessively discharging and charging it leads to failure. I know in order to heat up a capacitor you'd have to switch it on and off lots and quickly, but... it's something to ponder. Unless I've totally misconstrued this and have that all wrong.

Operating temperature definitely doesn't help and expedites the issue, especially considering how compact a space laptops are and that by default (and maximum) frequency (as well as voltage), CPUs in laptops can easily breach the 70C-80C range if one core is loaded in its lonesome:

7. Operating Temperature

Do not use the Proadlizer at high temperatures (temperatures
                              exceeding the maximum temperature for the Proadlizer category).
                              Use of the Proadlizer outside of the maximum temperature
                              for the capacitor category may decrease the service life of the
                              Proadlizer
                              Also, these Toshiba Satellites have integrated Wi-Fi, but that integrated Wi-Fi card tends to ramp up the CPU temperature by 20% or (10-15 degrees celsius!) so, at idle (only at idle, though - the more the load on the CPU, the less the discrepancy)! That doesn't help since I think people would often keep those on for omnipresent internet access. Still, 1,000 hours @ 105C means life endurance, not lifespan. So I would think that capacitor should still last longer than it has in all these Toshibas, and that the honest reason for it failing is that it won't work in a manner optimum if it's always discharged and charged. No wonder it won't freeze in an instant only using the battery, because capacitors partially fail quite often and gradually fail as well (as far as complete failure goes). And because people tend to charge their laptops often and move them around lots.

But if that capacitor is damaged or dead, it could complicate things further by leading to damage of other components if the motherboard isn't working correctly anymore, or rather isn't able to handle the voltage correctly. Again, not trying to set anything in stone, just wondering if that has anything to do with it....
                              Last edited by Wester547; 02-22-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Also, while I haven't experienced the issue on my Toshiba in full yet, I might have come nigh - the closest I've come to it is having the system automatically restart, black screen me, or restart after coming out of standby/sleep and changing the voltage of the CPU, so I imagine using standby doesn't help any in the slightest. I've read that people have that issue with Toshiba Satellite laptops after "waking" their laptops up.

Comment

That note is about not using proadlizers in circuits like audio coupling, oscillators, etc. where the cap will be discharged and charged repeatedly between near 0V and its rated voltage. When filtering ripple the cap gets charged up to a nearly constant voltage and just "ripples" around that voltage so it's not the same sort of deep charge/discharge cycling they recommend against.

The reason why it works on battery and not with the AC adapter plugged in when the cap is failing has to do with the extra ripple that gets added by using the adapter.

Comment

Well, I though it had something to do with the AC adapter, and the capacitor not being suited to that ripple current, but thanks for clarifying that. (:
                                    Last edited by Wester547; 02-23-2012, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Well for me a temporary solution is to play games that uses alot of CPU performance...It works for my L305-S5933

Comment

Also it all started when i updated my bios from 1.90 to 2.20...

Comment

Originally posted by kyamato53 View Post
                                          Also it all started when i updated my bios from 1.90 to 2.20...
                                          Likely just coincidence.

Comment

Working...
                                          X