Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know this has been beaten to death but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this has been beaten to death but...

I've been doing some reading all over the place and just wanted to make sure I'm not getting in over my head before I attempt this. I'm generally very handy and I'm not too intimidated thus far so I'm gonna give this a try....

I have a Samsung 40" LCD HDTV that sounds as if it is demonstrating the symptoms of the plague (prolonged startup, clicking, pink pxels on screen). I plan on contacting Samsung tomorrow to see if I can convince them to do an out-of-warrantee repair at no cost as it seems that some people have had success doing...but I want to have a backup plan in place and personally relish the idea of trying to fix this on my own if I have nothing to lose

So if I understand this correctly, I need to open up the back panel of the TV and inspect the capacitors on the power supply. I believe that I'm probably going to simply replace any and all capacitors I find regardless of their appearance just to be safe. i plan on taking out the caps and taking them to a local store or purchasing suitable replacements online.

When I get replacements, should I use caps rated for a higher voltage? It seems to me that the reason that most of these failed was because of poor manufacture quality of the component itself, and not actually in the way the component was used.

Please note, I have never soldered anything in my life, but this sounds like fun and if I have nothing to lose, I want to try it. I may even learn something in the process

Materials needed:
    Soldering iron
    Solder (appropriate type)
    Desoldering wick
    Caps

Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks!

Re: I know this has been beaten to death but...

Originally posted by drmikedvm313 View Post
    I have a Samsung 40" LCD HDTV that sounds as if it is demonstrating the symptoms of the plague (prolonged startup, clicking, pink pxels on screen).
    Prolonged startup could be caused by bad caps.

I believe that I'm probably going to simply replace any and all capacitors I find regardless of their appearance just to be safe. i plan on taking out the caps and taking them to a local store or purchasing suitable replacements online.
    Yes, replace them all. A list of good quality low ESR capacitors can be found at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

Make sure the replacement capacitors fit (diameter and height).

When I get replacements, should I use caps rated for a higher voltage?
    Stay with the same voltage. Some manufacturers make shoddy caps and that is why they fail.

Please note, I have never soldered anything in my life,
    A really good soldering video is on youtube from CuriousInventor. See

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

Materials needed:
    Soldering iron
    Solder (appropriate type)
    Desoldering wick
    Caps
    I prefer a solder pump versus the wick. You will probably need a 30W or 40W iron.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

And I forgot this forum has an excellent guide on soldering at FAQ section

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If you have never soldered before, I would advise that you should do some practice runs before you do anything on your TV.

Make sure you look after your iron, keep it tinned and clean. If it gets dirty and damaged you won't have much fun at all.
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
        X