Coloured capacitors - mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coloured capacitors - mean?

I've recently bought an old MSI motherboard with 4 x 1500uf 16v capacitors one of which is showing very obvious bulging on top.

These caps are brown in colour - I'm unclear as to what this means, should I only replace with brown caps (what do the colours mean)?

Apologies to the informed for what may seem a silly question.

Re: Coloured capacitors - mean?

Originally posted by EvilCensor View Post
    I've recently bought an old MSI motherboard with 4 x 1500uf 16v capacitors one of which is showing very obvious bulging on top.
    Color has no bearing on electrolyic capacitors. In general, I would choose a low ESR capacitor like Rubycon MCZ or Panasonic FM as a replacement.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

Comment

The capacitor in question has KZG on it, if I'm not mistaken that's supposed to be a reliable type?

Comment

kzg is problimatic.replace with mbz

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
            kzg is problimatic.replace with mbz
            +1

The brown caps on your motherboard are likely made by Unitec Chemicon (as indicated by the little logo that looks like a shield and the "Y"-shaped vent on top). KZG indicates the series. While United Chemicon is indeed a reliable Japanese capacitor brand, their KZG and KZJ series do go bad quite often.
            With that said, it is best to replace all United Chemicon KZG and KZJ caps above 470uF on your motherboard. As kc8adu said, Rubycon MBZ should work fine. For other replacement options, see this list:
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280
            Basically just open the KZG datasheet, and then compare it with the other datahseets. Choose the replacement capacitors so that they have the same or lower ESR/impedance and the same or higher ripple current.

Comment

Working...
            X