Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung 50inch Plasma - colored sparkles (videos in thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung 50inch Plasma - colored sparkles (videos in thread)

thats what i did originally.

i was able to eliminate most of the sparkle. Going too far left or right on the dial causes WAY more sparkles to show up. figured i would give the yfr a shot too, but i've got them both dialed to the point to where sparkles are minimized i believe.

Comment

ok i redid it.

i adjusted out the blue bar with the YFR then used the YRR to dial back the sparkles again most of the way out ...

they are still there, but better than before i started this whole thing.

so blue bar gone .. most of the sparkles are gone, but not all of them.

should i shoot another video showing?

also which Cap are you guys referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by dustinarden View Post
        thats what i did originally.

i was able to eliminate most of the sparkle. Going too far left or right on the dial causes WAY more sparkles to show up. figured i would give the yfr a shot too, but i've got them both dialed to the point to where sparkles are minimized i believe.
        Okay. From what I remember, LG had this problem with a lot of their plasmas. The solution was to replace the logic board, however, I wouldn't recommend that. What most people discovered was setting Vs a bit low would improve this. Try tweaking it to around 195V.

Right now I'm out of water, I haven't touched a plasma in a while and haven't got one to play with now to test some of these theories. I'm going on what little I learnt when I repaired the Samsung 42".
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

are you guys referring to the big brown cap on the power board?

it slightly looks like its bowing out a hair, but it could just be me ... if it is bulging is HARD to tell for sure ...

Comment

ok i redid it.

i adjusted out the blue bar with the YFR then used the YRR to dial back the sparkles again most of the way out ...

they are still there, but better than before i started this whole thing.

so blue bar gone .. most of the sparkles are gone, but not all of them.

should i shoot another video showing?

also which Cap are you guys referring to?
            The big brown one. Next to Vs.

I just realised we have forgotten to test Ve. I'm wondering if that little add-on daughterboard you mentioned has something to do with it. Can you get a picture of it, from the component side? (the side with the parts on it)
            Last edited by tom66; 01-12-2012, 06:14 PM.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

i lowered the Vs and watched the picture as i did it and it got way worse ...

are you saying i should lower the Vs to that range and then readjust the YFR?

Comment

the YFR is on the daughter board, not the Ve ... i cant find the Ve anywhere ...

Comment

wait .. i found the Ve adjust, but i cant find the test location .. one sec ..

Comment

haha .. ok i found the Ve ... its dead on at 115 which is where the sticker says it should be.

Comment

i lowered the Vs and watched the picture as i did it and it got way worse ...

are you saying i should lower the Vs to that range and then readjust the YFR?
                      Okay. I would raise the Vs back to 203V and leave the timings as is. The Ve might be causing this, but the 42" I worked on had a Ve of 0V. Not sure what its purpose is... does anyone else know??

Comment

i moved the Ve all the way to 65 and hardly anything changed ... moved it back to 115 though, lol

i guess i can live with this, but was hoping to be able to find out which board was causing it so i can replace it.

Comment

Last ditch attempt... I read up on it a bit... try lowering the Vscan voltage by about 5 or 10 volts.

This can be caused by panel aging, i.e. as the screen gets older it wears out, so it might not be a simple board swap...
                          Last edited by tom66; 01-12-2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Well poop

On the bright side it does look better ... thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Well poop

On the bright side it does look better ... thanks for the help guys!
                              Did you try adjusting Vscan a little?

Comment

went back to the vscan ... adjusted it a bit and then touched it again ..

sparks flew

now i have this crazy flashing pattern on my TV.

guess i'll be replacing a board afterall.

http://youtu.be/iTLzfLtsCns

please tell me i can test a few voltages somewhere and determine exactly what i need to replace?!

superbowl is only a few weeks away and i'm hosting a party

Comment

went back to the vscan ... adjusted it a bit and then touched it again ..

sparks flew

now i have this crazy flashing pattern on my TV.

guess i'll be replacing a board afterall.

http://youtu.be/iTLzfLtsCns

please tell me i can test a few voltages somewhere and determine exactly what i need to replace?!

superbowl is only a few weeks away and i'm hosting a party
                                  I'm guessing something touched something it shouldn't, or the voltage went too high. The good news is the picture is still there, so it's probably a voltage that's gone out of tolerance - check them all. (It's possible the spark made you jump and you turned the Vscan pot too far... I've done the same with an old RPTV but damn, you never get used to a shock from 200V.)

Comment

i've turned the vscan all the way up and down .. the voltage doesnt really change the pattern, but it does jump between 200 and 230 with a few points in between that match up to the flashing on the screen. does that mean this board is shot, since the voltage isnt stable anymore?

Comment

i've turned the vscan all the way up and down .. the voltage doesnt really change the pattern, but it does jump between 200 and 230 with a few points in between that match up to the flashing on the screen. does that mean this board is shot, since the voltage isnt stable anymore?
                                      That might be the problem, unfortunately. Can you hear a buzzing in time with the flashing? Try to locate what went bang - the good news is it should be obvious (burnt/melted component, charred marks on the board) and it will be easy to fix (just need a soldering iron.)

Double check Yfr/Yrr, as I've seen this pulsing occur on a plasma when they are near the end of the range.

Comment

i dont really hear a buzzing, but the spark shot directly out of the vscan adjustment pot ..

i'm searching for burnt/charred marks and i'm not seeing anything.

since the spark shot straight out of the vscan test pot i'd say its a safe bet that board is shot?

the other voltages appear to be stable .. its just the vscan one

Comment

i take that back .. the va and vs are fluctuating too .. just nowhere near as much as the vscan

Comment

Working...
                                          X