EVGA nforce 590 sli, buzzing sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EVGA nforce 590 sli, buzzing sound

Hey everyone. Ive been having this problem for quite some time. Every once in a while.. usually while I am gaming and my comp gets hot, my computer will make a loud buzzing sound for about 1-2 seconds and then (usually) reboot itself, sometimes it won't reboot if i hold my mouth just right. I can't tell if the sound is coming from the power supply or the motherboard, but does this sound like bad caps? Another weird this is, i'd been getting bsod's, so i took out a stick of ram one at a time until the BSODs stopped. When i tried to put the ram back in (hopeful thinking), the computer wouldn't boot and would stick on the "finding ram" post code. I dont have another motherboard to test this ram in, but why would my ram just go bad all the sudden? Or is that a symptom of Bad caps, perhaps powering 4x 1gb sticks of ram is too much for some bad caps?

None of the caps on my motherboard have any visual signs of plague, I know that doesn't mean they aren't bad.. but I don't have an ESR meter yet, so I thought i'd ask if anyone else had symptoms like these with bad caps. My power supply has a lifetime warranty, so im not gonna open it up. Thanks a bunch!

J-rod

edit: oh the power supply is an Antec Truepower Trio 650w.

Re: EVGA nforce 590 sli, buzzing sound

Originally posted by volto
    When i tried to put the ram back in (hopeful thinking), the computer wouldn't boot and would stick on the "finding ram" post code. I dont have another motherboard to test this ram in, but why would my ram just go bad all the sudden? Or is that a symptom of Bad caps, perhaps powering 4x 1gb sticks of ram is too much for some bad caps?
    Your DDR2 sticks are overclocked and overvolted too? I noticed that ram voltage over 1.9 V for DDR2 can be dangerous for badly cooled sticks and even fancy radiators can't stop electromigration into memory chips; unfortunately most low latency ram seems to be overvolted (2.1 to 2.3 V).
    I think at least a module is damaged, so run Memtest86+ for about 10 cycles (every cycle has 12 test; long lasting tests can detect error due to overheat). If there are errors, test a module at time until you find the culprit(s).
    Most brand ram has at least a 3 years warranty, so ask for a replacement. If it's damaged and out of warranty, then buy some DDR2-1066 value sticks from reputable brands (Corsair, Kingston, OCZ), since they're cheap and perform as much as 2 years old sticks (if not even better). Check their operating voltage: it should be 1.8 V, the standard one.

Zandrax
    Last edited by zandrax; 05-08-2008, 05:19 PM.
    Have an happy life.

Comment

Working...
    X