Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hanns-G HG281D, LCD Monitor no power

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
    Sometimes I can't help the feeling that this forum is being picked over/stalked by ebay sellers selling kits with big margins.

We have already had people say that they have been referred by ebay sellers to this forum when the cap kit doesn't fix their problem.
    I agree with what you're saying and I wish I had come up with the idea of selling these kits due to the high profit margin . I do understand that the seller does have to take some time to do the research to come up with the parts list and that buyers are paying for the luxury of not having to lift a finger to do any research. If the large parts suppliers would charge less for shipping, it would put a large dent in the sale of these kits. However, there will always be that segment that's too lazy/unwilling to look up the parts themselves.

And yes, this forum has become a "tech support" site for sellers when those kits don't work.

Comment

You may find this thread helpful in terms of tools, techniques

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=211983

Also, this forum has an excellent written recap tutorial

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485
      Do we know if the solder on the Logic board is lead free or leaded?

I've been advised that it's most likely leaded and thus I should stick to leaded solder.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
        I agree with what you're saying and I wish I had come up with the idea of selling these kits due to the high profit margin . I do understand that the seller does have to take some time to do the research to come up with the parts list and that buyers are paying for the luxury of not having to lift a finger to do any research. If the large parts suppliers would charge less for shipping, it would put a large dent in the sale of these kits. However, there will always be that segment that's too lazy/unwilling to look up the parts themselves.

And yes, this forum has become a "tech support" site for sellers when those kits don't work.
        My parts at digikey come to around £4.50 (or thereabouts), but there is whopping £12 p&p charge, unless I buy goods exceeding £50 in value, in which case shipping is free.

Comment

Originally posted by mmamuk View Post
          Do we know if the solder on the Logic board is lead free or leaded?
          Since you are in Europe and if the board says RoHS, it is highly likely your board is lead free.

I've been advised that it's most likely leaded and thus I should stick to leaded solder.
          It doesn't matter. You may not be able to legally buy leaded solder in Europe though?

I use the 60/40 stuff myself.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You can buy leaded solder here, thankfully. However, you may not sell anything which has unauthorised quantities of lead in. So, if you intend to repair and sell something, lead free must be used.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Some questions:
              (1) Is the wattage sufficient for it ot do the work that is required on the PCB i.e. de-solder and re-solder the CAPS; and
              It might be tad weak. It will depend on how well you can keep the tip clean.

If it doesn't desolder, be prepared to buy a 40W or 50W iron with a chisel tip (see below).

(2) Is the tip of sufficient shape and dimensions for it to be used for de-soldering and re-soldering work on a PCB?
              Thanks.
              I started with a conical tip, the worst shape, and was successful with single layer power boards. I now have a 1.6mm and 3.2mm chisel tip. These give more heat transfer than a conical.

Your tip looks like a "well" tip.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Since you are in Europe and if the board says RoHS, it is highly likely your board is lead free.
                Where on the board would it say RoSH? I can't seem to find it written anywhere on my Logic board.

I use the 60/40 stuff myself.
                What is 60/40? Is this a percentage mix of two composites?

Comment

Your tip looks like a "well" tip.
                  What is "well" tip good for and what is it NOT good for?

Comment

Where on the board would it say RoSH? I can't seem to find it written anywhere on my Logic board.
                    RoHS is restriction of hazardous substances.

What is 60/40? Is this a percentage mix of two composites?
                    Wiki is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder
                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-20-2012, 11:33 PM. Reason: typo
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

What is "well" tip good for and what is it NOT good for?
                      http://www.hakko.com/english/tip_sel...lection_1.html
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

10uF 16V Capxon ST ripple = 18 ma, Panasonic GA = 30ma (digikey part number P14482-ND - 22 cents each)
                        Is there an alternative Part No to EEAGA1C100 as Farnell are out of Stock on this item and will not be re-stocked until Sept 2012.

Comment

Is there an alternative Part No to EEAGA1C100 as Farnell are out of Stock on this item and will not be re-stocked until Sept 2012.
                          ECA1CM100

or

ECEA1CKS100
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

HG281D already repaired, but still experiencing problems.

Hello,

This is my first post here at badcaps. Firstly I want to thank the community for getting me this far. I've ordered and installed the LCDalternatives slection of caps.

The problems I was experiencing were very fuzzy, imprecise color (messy) and wavy lines when the monitor would get really hot. It would also not power on when turned off, so I had to leave it "on" all the time or in powersave. One time it took me a couple hours of mashing the power button to finally get my blue power led - I learned my lesson. Do not shut it off until you get it fixed! The monitor, hot or cold, would also go blank for 2 seconds every once in a while and then carry on as normal.

So, pretty much sounds like classic Hg281D syndrome, right? Good.

During my recapping adventure I noticed that I only received a replacement for one of the two small caps that are under the large heatsink on the psu.

Since I could not see what caps they were from their installed positions I just removed both, replaced the matching unit with a new one and reinstalled the other small cap that had no mate as-is. He had some slight blistering.

The results are that the monitor will power on from a cold, dead, stop, ehh.. usually (sure beats never!). Sometimes the monitor still goes blank for 2 seconds, but far less frequently. All other issues were cured.

When in power save the LEF is bright orange, when on the power led is bright blue (and brighter than ever - reminds me of how bright it thought it was when I first purchased the monitor). The LED is very flickery orange when the monitor is powered off.

I would appreciate it if someone could read what I've written and provide an illuminating response from what is surely not enough information.

I guess I want to know about that single cap that didn't get replaced under the heatsink, why it wasn't included, is it not important? Are my problems on the logic board?

Sorry for the barrage. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Re: HG281D already repaired, but still experiencing problems.

Originally posted by PieEyedPiper View Post
                              I've ordered and installed the LCDalternatives slection of caps.

I guess I want to know about that single cap that didn't get replaced under the heatsink, why it wasn't included, is it not important?
                              This rant is not directed at you, so don't take it personally, but post #301 is applicable here. You should ask the ebay seller why that cap is missing. We are NOT a technical support forum for ANY ebay seller despite what they might infer or claim.
                              Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-21-2012, 01:06 PM.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Re: HG281D already repaired, but still experiencing problems.

This rant is not directed at you, so don't take it personally, but post #301 is applicable here. You should ask the ebay seller why that cap is missing. We are NOT a technical support forum for ANY ebay seller despite what they might infer or claim.
                                I did not shop through eBay, I had seen the vendor recommended by another member.

The cap does not appear to be mentioned and my kit came without any missing parts. What would make things more clear to me are whether or not that cap is commonly replaced or if some choose to not change it?

Is that cap likely to be responsible for my remaining issues? Does anyone know what cap I'm trying to describe?

I came to you, the gurus, for general support. Not support for some random eBay vendor "because my kit didn't work". That would be ludicrous.

EDIT: Sorry for my typos and the odd formatting. I'm still getting used to the rules on the forum. (i.e. no edits after 90min)
                                Last edited by PieEyedPiper; 06-21-2012, 01:36 PM.

Comment

PieEyedPiper,
                                  Reading your post it seems you did not recap the logic board, is that correct?
                                  The kit you ordered only included the caps for the psu part then?
                                  In my experience the HG281D comes with different revisions of power boards.
                                  This -may- be the reason for the missing cap.

Personally I don't buy repair kits. I just make a list of all caps needed and buy them at the electronics shop in my town.
                                  Often they don't have the right caps, then I just pull them from scrapped PSU's or motherboards.
                                  You have to have a bit of experience as for what brands to use.

Looking at your post, I would start with the logic board. Skipping this part is just not recommended as you can read from other posts.
                                  In my case the PSU was in good shape, but the logic board had cheapo caps and they were the root cause of the problem.

Cheers.

Comment

1) Both CapXon KM and ST are general purpose caps. You can tell by looking at the datasheet by the ABSENCE of the words "low ESR" or "low impedance" and the missing ESR values in the table.

2) In addition to making sure the caps fit and having the correct voltage and capacitance, you need to match or exceed the ripple characteristics of the original caps.
                                    In the attached datasheets what do WV and SV stand for?

I assume "V" stands for Volts.

What do "S" and "W" stand for?

Thanks.

Comment

Surge and Working
                                      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                        Surge and Working
                                        So the Voltage quoted on a Capacitor i.e. say 16V, is that 16V SV or 16V WV?

I assume it's WV.

Comment

So the Voltage quoted on a Capacitor i.e. say 16V, is that 16V SV or 16V WV?

I assume it's WV.
                                          Yes the voltage quoted on the capacitor is the working voltage.
                                          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
                                          X