New server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New server

Yep, I just got myself a new server for home. A Compaq Proliant 5500, nonetheless!

http://internal.echeloncomputers.net...2/DSC01457.JPG

Note: That's not my pic, nor did I win that on eBay... but the server I have looks identical except for the CD-ROM drive.

Currently, the server is serving my webpages and is also a system I can play about with Linux on. At present, it only has one Pentium Pro 200MHz CPU, though there is capacity for up to 4 CPUs in Socket 8 holders. It's also VERY noisy! With the single SCSI hard disk (+ IDE spare) I'm just wondering... is it necessary to have all 4 fans running?

Fan 1: Inside PSU, no chance of disabling that
    Fan 2: In front of CPU-holder boards with an air flow guide attached
    Fan 3: Blowing across the (empty) PCI slots and motherboard
    Fan 4: Behind the CPU holder boards, running as an exhaust for fan 1.

And yes, I did check the caps inside before purchasing the server. They're all Nichicon, and thankfully not the type which have that bursting problem.
    Last edited by Tom41; 05-15-2006, 03:01 PM. Reason: smiley in title didn't work
    You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Re: New server

I'd be on the hunt for 3 more CPU's. A quad system is a cool thing to have, just to say that you have it, even if its an old P-Pro system. Good find! Enjoy!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

What stepping is your CPU?

I have a Pentium Pro here I can donate for better uses

Also what type of memory does it use? I've got a few hundred megs of memory that might fit it

(FYI I've got a Dual P2 333Mhz with 1.5GB memory, it's a Proliant 3000 )
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Not to mention it makes a great cruncher for DC projects. I'm working on getting a few more dual P3's for my crack rack. Would love to have a quad on their.

Comment

Working...
        X