Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blown cap on a GeForce 8800 GT

The MCZ would be good.

The KZG... it depends if it's old or new. KZG is a series from Nippon Chemi Con that had a major flaw between some years and they're all dying eventually. However, the series is still available in retail because after they noticed the flaw they fixed it.
    You can determine the manufacturing date from what's written on it, usually it's a 4 digit code that means week number , year ... as in 1005 = week 10, year 5. On some brands is the other way around.

Anyway, you never said where you're or I don't remember ... and you never posted a picture with the capacitor you used so I can't (try to) determine if the capacitor you used is bad or not.

Tell us where you live so we can tell you what online stores you could use to buy original stuff because it looks to me now you're probably searching for them on eBay, which is a bit risky. Some stores, depending where you live, have free shipping so it's sometimes cheaper to buy from good stores.

In the worst case scenario, if you have paypal i'd be willing to mail you one good capacitor for the stamps and envelope cost, about 2$. I don't do this usually because it takes time to go to the post office.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
      The KZG... it depends if it's old or new. KZG is a series from Nippon Chemi Con that had a major flaw between some years and they're all dying eventually. However, the series is still available in retail because after they noticed the flaw they fixed it.
      Wrong. The flaw has always existed with KZG and KZJ and still did right up to the day they discontinued them. It was Nichicon HM and HN that were fixed during 2005
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

KZG is still available on demand at Digikey, if you order tapes (800-1000 pieces).

I doubt Digikey sells old stocks of capacitors so I'm making the assumption the United Chemi Con still makes them or made some batches after the problem was discovered.

There are also some new Gigabyte boards for AMD A4/A8 and FM1 boards with KZG capacitors, which I doubt that they use old KZG capacitors. Check Newegg, if you're lucky you may even be able to read the date code on them if you can zoom the pictures, I can't be bothered to go that far to demonstrate something.

It doesn't make a difference who's right or wrong anyway, either way both series are theoretically old and there's newer and better series available in retail out there.

Comment

I am in Auckland, New Zealand and I have used Element14, RS Components and others to look at to buy capacitors from but usually they do not have what I want so I go looking on Ebay and now I found BadCaps. I think this is because I am too fussy.
          While I have been thinking about what to write here I went through earlier posts and see I had missed the link to c_hegge's post with the link to Element14 http://nz.element14.com/nichicon/uhm...16v/dp/1823807 and their office is not far from where I live, so thanks alot. I will telephone their office tomorrow.
          I do use ebay to buy low cost new and used replacement computer parts for doing low cost computer repairs.
          I used baobao once to buy a replacement power transformer for an older all in one 21 inch computer I bought in NZ. Its problem was a cracked black rectangular thing that goes around the outside of the wired part. That was worth paying $60 from China.

EDITED: After looking through the pdf spec sheet at Element14 in the link c_hegge posted, I see that a ripple specification is an Ampere rating and it changes with the capacitor dimensions. Should the ampere ripple rating be a concern at all?

EDITED again: after looking at Element14 I found possibly two more suitable capacitors regarding size, but the ripple specifications are 1140 to 2000. Which would be better suited to the graphics card? I suppose the specification nearest to the size of the original capacitor which is 1140 but the ripple of the original capacitor wouldh have been less than this capacitor because this is a 11.5mm high capacitor and the original is 10mm high.
          Last edited by nickBcap; 05-31-2012, 08:48 AM. Reason: add a question, more info

Comment

The original capacitor is rated for 1150mA of ripple and 0.036ohms ESR. The replacement cap should match those specs OR have lower ESR and higher ripple tolerance. The HM I linked to exceeds both of those specifications, so it is more than good enough to use as a replacement.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't properly read the last paragraph. What brand and series were the two other capacitors? In theory, the one rated for 2000mA ripple would be a better replacement, but not if it's rated for a higher ESR or is an unreliable brand/series.
            Last edited by c_hegge; 05-31-2012, 03:52 PM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

KZG is still available on demand at Digikey, if you order tapes (800-1000 pieces).
              We should ban you for recommending KZG. they are bad caps

EDIT: we should also fine you $10 for not reading my last post in this thread about Chemi-con KZG

I'm making the assumption the United Chemi Con still makes them or made some batches after the problem was discovered.
              Chemi-con were never aware of the problem and still aren't to this day.
              Last edited by c_hegge; 05-31-2012, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I don't know now where I read that UCC actually were aware of this problem and they stopped production later on those KZG and KZJ series because they were "avoided" due to these rumors.

They shouldn't be discontinued, because they don't appear here: http://www.chemi-con.co.jp/e/catalog...num_unify.html

But they also aren't on their product lists anymore : http://www.chemi-con.co.jp/e/catalog...m_diagram.html

You'll even find discontinued series on their search page here (look for KME and you'll find it, but you won't find KMG) : http://www.chemi-con.com/index.php?o...=form&Itemid=2

Anyway, no matter what, I don't recommend them, because there's no point to them, they don't shine in any particular category.

I'm making the assumption that if they still make new ones, maybe they did something to them and they're not like those old series.

I'm well aware by the difference between this and the Nichicon problems which I know they fixed.

And btw.. I selected that particular Intel board in the other thread on purpose, like a easter egg, to prove the point (well, several) ... to see if people actually click on links, if they check pictures, and to show that even top manufacturer still use these KZG capacitors. They're not used in hot places though so maybe Intel is on to something.
                Last edited by mariushm; 05-31-2012, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Ok, is ESR measured in Ohms and is it measured by multiplying the 36 by the 100kHz ?
                  I dont see any ESR ratings in the spec sheets from Element14 so what would I check for in the spec sheet for the capacitor?
                  EDITED: The nearest to what seems to be the best capacitor to use looking at the spec sheets from Element14 seems to be this capacitor; 8mm x 20mm , 18mΩ , 1870mArms < how am I doing?
                  Last edited by nickBcap; 05-31-2012, 07:11 PM.

Comment

ESR is measured in Ohms. There's no multiplying, the 36 is probably the value in mOhm (thousands of an Ohm), measurement taken at 100kHz frequency. The value is different at certain temperatures and frequencies, that's why these factors are usually mentioned.

While not quite the same thing, you can use the "Impedance" column in the datasheet charts as an ESR indicator. Some datasheets have it listed in Ohms (0.036 ohm for example) or straight in mOhm (36 for example). The value for positive temperature, 100kHz should be used, that's the more realistic one.

For your video card and that particular location, any value under 0.05 ohm should be good..

Comment

Ok, thank you. I already bought capacitors on ebay and the trader sent me FZ72 1000uF 16V capacitors. I guess they are not good capacitors and I will buy from Element14 here in NZ. It is a learning lesson for me.

Comment

Those are Sacon FZs that he sent you!! The same as the ones you are replacing! The seller wasn't zhangrunfun was he? see https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...y+nippon+fakes

Comment

This is what I received from Seller: Member id anna758595 ( Feedback Score Of 15826) 99.8% Positive feedback

This is the photo on ebay
                          Last edited by nickBcap; 06-01-2012, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Well then, that's a totally different cap to what was pictured. Don't use them, unless you want to have to recap your card again in a few months. I'd see if you can get your money back from the seller and order a better replacement cap from Element14. That "8mm x 20mm , 18mΩ , 1870mArms" cap would work, but it's 20mm tall - taller than the Nichicon HM I recommended. You could also poly-mod it with a http://nz.element14.com/nichicon/plg...16v/dp/1580602, which would be a similar height to the original cap. At over $3 each, though, they are a bit expensive.

EDIT: I do realise it's an 820uF - you normally drop the capacitance a bit when poly-modding.
                            Last edited by c_hegge; 06-01-2012, 05:35 AM.

Comment

What do you mean by Poly Mod? I dont like this idea already seeing the huge difference in the ripple specification. Yes, amps have scared me in the past.
                              I also looked at this because it is cheap but I dont know the ESR:
                              Manufacturer: Panasonic
                              RoHS: Yes
                              Type: Radial Electrolytic Capacitor
                              Series: FR
                              Low ESR: Yes
                              Voltage (V): 16
                              Capacitance (uF): 1000
                              Diameter (mm): 10
                              Length (mm): 16
                              The ebay trader states Ultra Low ESR. I have bought about 45 items on ebay and no major problems with the products or the traders. I have had two refunds and am waiting for a reply about a crefund for a very cheap external hard drive case.
                              I am having a lot of trouble logging in to Element14 after making an account adn will telephone them as soon as I can to find out what is going wrong.
                              Last edited by nickBcap; 06-03-2012, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickBcap View Post
                                What do you mean by Poly Mod? I dont like this idea already seeing the huge difference in the ripple specification.
                                Poly-modding is when you replace an electrolytic capacitor with a solid polymer capacitor. The ripple specification is simply the maximum that the capacitor can handle without overheating, so using a cap with a much higher ripple specification won't hurt at all. When you look at the poly-mod i did to this card (which was successful), you can see that I changed the specifications of the caps far more than you would if you use the polymer cap I suggested, so it should work just fine.

I'd avoid buying caps from fleabay again (especially after you just got scammed).

EDIT: The ESR on that cap is 0.28 ohms, and the ripple rating is 1790mA (according to ), so it would work as a replacment.
                                Last edited by c_hegge; 06-03-2012, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. c_hegge, Elements14 wants $14.95 for delivery so Ebay is the best option for me. With all the suggestions I learned a little and understand better which capacitors to buy and found Nichinon and Panasomic data sheets to refer to for future purchasing specs. I will leave the FZ capacitors I bought and may offer them for auction later. I just liked the idea od silver I think and will buy some F something series Panasonic capacitors or Nichicon. The height is not important to me. I broke one of the six heatsink fan assembly pins and bought a smaller replacement heatsink with a fan and copper pipes on ebay.
                                  Last edited by nickBcap; 06-05-2012, 06:09 AM. Reason: correct spelling

Comment

Originally posted by nickBcap View Post
                                    Elements14 wants $14.95 for delivery.
                                    That is why I use http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/ as much as possible.
                                    My pc
                                    CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                                    MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                                    RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                                    PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                                    GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Thanks to the last poster I looked at RS in New Zealand again and found this; http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/...inium/7037504/ which is ok for size but checking the pdf file and the information on the webpage show different specifications. It may be only the ripple that is different.

Comment

It will work. If it was to comment on something about that one would be that it's just a bit tall, so once you insert the card in your computer, you'll just have to make sure the top of the capacitor doesn't touch any card installed near the video card, if there is any.

Comment

That's pretty low sending FZ's but picturing different caps in the picture. You should try and get your money back, or give them Negative feedback stating what happened so other people don't buy them.

Comment

Working...
                                          X