X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
    Think you'll need to also add all the feedback components. If you don't know the right values in the best case it will do nothing even when it is supposed to trigger come protection. In worst case it will trigger them even when everything will be fine.
    +1
    Gotta make sure the components surrounding the chip are there (and of proper value). Otherwise, the IC alone may do nothing or even prevent the PSU from working, as Behemot said.

Comment

Question is if you can actually determine the right values. Gonna take lot of reverse-engineering of the actual monitor present to see what protection it is hooked onto. Maybe some sample circuits will help with guessing the aproximate value of the components…

Not sure all it is worth the effort though. Half-decent units with all the protections there (and working though) come quite cheap these days.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Nah I probably wont do anything with it.
        IMO the unit feels a bit too cheap, for example on the label it says 115v > 240v input.
        But then on the back is a sticker that says "230v ONLY".
        Which is usually the case when the manufacturer has removed the APFC booster circuit.
        Which oddly does look intact so I dunno what to think.
        But again the feeling "cheap" comes to mind if they don't even know what the unit is capable of...
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
          Nah I probably wont do anything with it.
          Aww, that's a shame. It's still an independent regulation unit. Even if it's 400-500 Watts and not 750, that's still plenty for a modern CPU with an upper middle-end video card. Don't trash it!

Comment

How's the conversion going momaka?

I noticed the Linkworld (Andyson) I am currently reviewing has almost everything in place, all it needs is two jumpwires and using a full-sized supervisor. OFC I have no idea if the components have the right parameters, but I would say so. I think that if they went all the way to put the things in there and than most likely as final cut-corners resort used the cheap DIP-8 supervisor, there should be everything all right. Whaddaya think?

Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

How's the conversion going momaka?

Did you mean to say Per Hansson? I don't have that power supply, so I don't know.
              Though from Per's last post above, looks like he may not do anything with it.

I think that if they went all the way to put the things in there and than most likely as final cut-corners resort used the cheap DIP-8 supervisor, there should be everything all right. Whaddaya think?
              http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/w...1-950x1242.jpg
              http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/w...-1-950x541.jpg
              It would definitely be a cool experiment to try.

Comment

Oh sorry, it was Per indeed.

Well the question is which one to get? I guess another from the Sitronix family so that would be ST9S429-PG14/SG14 or IN1S426-DCG/SCG as I need monitor for two 12V rails.

Comment

I have a few old power supply here. One is abosulte crap probably. When i swap my p4 2,66 MHz to 3,4 they kill my grapics card. Is light as hell. I have another very very old. Its from my old p200mmx. It works, i reuse It to psu to my old amstrad cpc. I can open It and made photos. He have the wire swich off on atached to the supply. So i never need made a bridge betwen pins to star It.

I not buy It comes with the computers.
                  Last edited by Tic; 12-16-2016, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Some pictures of a few PSUs I have. I included the covers,though the ALine isn't what it says on the tin. (hint - it's a Yuelin)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Dan81; 12-24-2016, 11:34 AM.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                      Some pictures of a few PSUs I have. I included the covers
                      Wrong thread?
                      Apart from the Premier LC-B350ATX, all the others seems very gutless. Looking at their output filters, even 200 Watts would be pushing it.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                        Wrong thread?
                        Apart from the Premier LC-B350ATX, all the others seems very gutless. Looking at their output filters, even 200 Watts would be pushing it.
                        All were case pulls I think (not sure about the ALine and the LC-B350ATX,but the other Premier PSUs I pulled myself from three systems I had to work with).

The 350W Premier is actually rebuilt by me,though I haven't replaced the primary switching transistors - they're some weird Sanyo part that,upon searching on Google,comes up in TO-251 package,but not TO-220. Apart from that,I completed the input filtering,and rebuilt the secondary side - from adding PI coils and a proper 3.3v toroid to filling up the capacitor spots and replacing all the rectifiers for the secondary. Also I replaced the Globe fan with a Jamicon (which strangely came from another Deer) and added a fan header.
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Concur with momaka. The first one also has wimpy heatsinks. The second and third (order of pictures) have heatsinks that would probably be OK up to 250W if you upgraded the O/P filtering (and maybe rectifiers).

Re the LC-B350ATX, the TO-251 is a through-hole version of the SMT DPAK, which is smaller than the TO-220-equivalent D2PAK. So that Sanyo part probably puts the safe limit for that PSU in the 200W continuous range. If it's a bipolar transistor, an MJE13009 or clone should get you into the 300-350W range.
                          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                            If it's a bipolar transistor, an MJE13009 or clone should get you into the 300-350W range.
                            I was thinking of either replacing with 13009s or D304X. Which is the better?

Also,I have an real size ERL35 transformer out of a dead Kaisen. Will that work?
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

I was thinking of either replacing with 13009s or D304X. Which is the better?

Also,I have an real size ERL35 transformer out of a dead Kaisen. Will that work?
                              I'll leave the question about swapping transformers to someone experienced in doing that.

Between the two transistor types, the D304X looks a little better. In particular, its Beta as it gets close to it maximum rated current it better. Its rise, fall, and storage times (during switching) are similar or slightly better. I've not heard of Nell Semiconductor. On Semiconductor bought the rights and equipment from Motorola to produce the MJE13009 (which Motorola designed).

Depending on how it is driven, the better Beta at high currents means the D304X would stay in saturation at slightly higher currents than would the MJE13009. You want your transistors to be in saturation when they are on.
                              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

If the pin-outs of the two transformers match and that Kaisen PSU also used half-bridge topology, then YES, it *probably* will work.

Comment

If the pin-outs of the two transformers match and that Kaisen PSU also used half-bridge topology, then YES, it *probably* will work.
                                  Well expressed, and probably in half the number of words I would have used.

It can be very complex, but so many designs seem to be nearly identical, so "probably" is probably realistic.
                                  PeteS in CA

Comment

I checked that - they match up with the 2003 design,but not the 2005 design.

Anyways, here's another picture of another Deer - it's a 400W Modecom FEEL-400ATX. Thick heatsinks,REAL ERL-35 transformer (it's a Deer,I know - but I can confirm it's a ERL35 - I compared it to another ERL-35 from a CWT ISO PSU and they're the same size.).

Any ideas how much this can do? It has TO-220 package 13009s(and true 13009s at that - they have the Fairchild logo)and the secondary side has 2 20A rectifiers in parallel for 5v,30A for 3.3v and I think 16A for 12v. Oh yeah,it's been recapped as well.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Well the FEELIII I got provideed full power but I think it was even beefier. Is that small board on the primary side the thing I think? That stupid stand-by voltage booster? Remove that immediatelly

Comment

Well the FEELIII I got provideed full power but I think it was even beefier. Is that small board on the primary side the thing I think? That stupid stand-by voltage booster? Remove that immediatelly
                                        Well what do I have to do after removing the voltage booster? I know on another PSU I have with the same PCB (a old Premier LC-C400ATX) has some jumpers in there.
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Potrans pp-300x

Posting to add to this mega thread.

PSU thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59061
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X