Frist generation PS3 YOLD repair from wrong to right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frist generation PS3 YOLD repair from wrong to right

Well, we got a given to us first gen PS3 with the YOLD problem. Here is my rant for the day.
    The original owner had sent this PS3 into a supposed to be service shop (non Sony) that even warrantied their work for 90 days or something like that. Over the years he had sent it in twice to get the GPU reflowed. After it broke shortly after again, he gave up and bought another one. So here on my bench the poor old thing is. Sorry, I have no pics, as the PS3 is repaired by now and working. I found that reflowing must be some sort of art and some just can't do it and should not.
    The silver heat paste was caked on to the CPU and GPU so hard, it took me 30mins to get it off with 99% alcohol to get down to the shiny metal. 8 swabs and one paper towel full later. Next thing the flux. There was flux that hardened up in such a way that 99% alcohol couldn't get it off using a toothbrush. It still was underneath the CPU and GPU too. What a mess... what a mess... that was a poor reflow job and charged quite a bit of money for it.
    I won't go into great detail on how exactly I fixed it, as there are very good guides on the internet already even permanent fix for the 1st gens. Preheating the board on both sides, using quality flux and remember to cool the board slowly down is key. Also clean off the old flux form the board. I had to get all that old stuff out form underneath the CPU and GPU too. It was almost like dark yellowish brown pork lard!
    That is what I call an utter crap job that some tech had done. I won't post Name or Phone number (the warranty void sticker with name and number is still on the PS3). However I do say that much, that the location of them is in the City of Nova Scotia.
    Is it really that hard to ask for a proper repair, if someone spends like 100$ each time to get it repaired?
Working...
X