Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq EVO D510 POWER SUPLY PROBLEM

Hello guys,

my compaq system won't turn on. it simply shut off while working with the two led lights in the front full on. the processor fan and the power supply unit fan are constantly running.

i already did some troubleshooting on the system, but no success.

i suspect the power supply unit, but need guide on how to fix it. am average electrical electronics engineer, and would appreciate any help that can confirm the PSU good or bad

Thanks

Re: Compaq EVO D510 POWER SUPLY PROBLEM

Originally posted by coolcurrent View Post
    i suspect the power supply unit, but need guide on how to fix it. am average electrical electronics engineer, and would appreciate any help that can confirm the PSU good or bad
    If you have a multimeter, see if pin 9 (purple) as per

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

is outputting a stable 5V DC.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Is the D510 a SFF (small form factor) or the mid-ATX form factor. Good clear photos can help us to help you.

I have a couple of the D510's in small form factor and -can- spare a power supply, but I haven't seen a power supply failure.

Most of the failures I've seen in the D510's is bad caps due to heat build-up and bad Nichicon HM's dated '02 to '04.
      Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

I've attached photo's of a D510 SFF (small form factor). This particular model uses a nonstandard power supply connector although it does have the 4-pin 'P-4' connector.
        As you can see, this mobo needs a re-cap especially in the VRM section. It won't even boot, I've resurrected 2 in worse shape than this one by recapping it.
        Attached Files
        Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Originally posted by delaware74b View Post
          Is the D510 a SFF (small form factor) or the mid-ATX form factor. Good clear photos can help us to help you.

I have a couple of the D510's in small form factor and -can- spare a power supply, but I haven't seen a power supply failure.

Most of the failures I've seen in the D510's is bad caps due to heat build-up and bad Nichicon HM's dated '02 to '04.
          i have attached two photos, i hope its clear enough.

its Compaq d510 SFF p 2.4 GHz.

the problems is that the two small green light remains on immediately i power it on for ever until i power it off. it doesn't boot at all
          Attached Files

Comment

I've attached photo's of a D510 SFF (small form factor). This particular model uses a nonstandard power supply connector although it does have the 4-pin 'P-4' connector.
            As you can see, this mobo needs a re-cap especially in the VRM section. It won't even boot, I've resurrected 2 in worse shape than this one by recapping it.
            ok can you give me step by step guide as to how to recap my cpu

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
              If you have a multimeter, see if pin 9 (purple) as per

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

is outputting a stable 5V DC.
              the compaq SFF power supplyunitis not tha same as the standard atx pinouts.

The compaq SFF has 14 pins, while atx has 24 pins.

is it possible to convert an atx power to the SFF. please help me with guide

Comment

Do some searching around these forums and on the badcaps.net home page. Lots of excellent guides to recapping.

Before any of that though, we need to determine if your PSU is working properly or not.

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
                  Do some searching around these forums and on the badcaps.net home page. Lots of excellent guides to recapping.

Before any of that though, we need to determine if your PSU is working properly or not.
                  ok, thanks.

but i hope bad caps may not be the culprit, if so, how do i test and fix th PSU?

Comment

Here is the pinout for the power supply in the EVO D510 SFF:

http://pinouts.ru/Power/compaq_pdp_power_pinout.shtml

I hope this helps

Comment

thanks for the pinouts, let me check the voltages

Comment

i just read the voltages with all wires from the PSU disconnected from the mainboard

pin 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
                        v 0 0.8 2 0 5 0.8 0

pin 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
                        v 0 5 0 0 0 0 0

the 0s simply means there wasn't an deflection on the multimeter, so what do i do now?

Comment

Does the power supply start up when you attempt to start the computer (power supply fan spin)? If so, try to read voltages on:
                          brown +3.3 volts
                          red +5 volts
                          orange +12 volts
                          blue -12 volts
                          pink +3.3volts

PM me if interested in a power supply. I can spare one if you are in US

Comment

are there any bad caps on the mobo or in the power supply? that would be the first thing to check.

Comment

Does the power supply start up when you attempt to start the computer (power supply fan spin)? If so, try to read voltages on:
                              brown +3.3 volts
                              red +5 volts
                              orange +12 volts
                              blue -12 volts
                              pink +3.3volts

PM me if interested in a power supply. I can spare one if you are in US
                              When power supply is connected to cpu and power cable plugged in, two green led on the mother board comes on.

One of them goes off when i press the power button, the two green led in front of the system turns on and stays on, the PSU fan starts spinning and the processor fans too without stopping

with the power supply not connected at all to the cpu and the voltages read, i have this

pin=volts
                              2=+0.8v
                              3=+2v
                              5=+5v
                              6=+0.8
                              9=+5v

should i connect all power supplu cable and reread their values?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                are there any bad caps on the mobo or in the power supply? that would be the first thing to check.
                                No , i dont see an swollen or bad caps on the motherboard or PSU when opened

Comment

hm, ok.
                                  ps: swollen=bad

Comment

What brand/series caps are around your VRM/CPU socket? If they're Nichicon HM's, blanket recap the board as a starting point. I know all 4 D510's that were given to me had HM's that are in the 'bad' date codes and are swollen.

Comment

the brands are RUBYCON CAPs although i have three Nichicon HM's 1000uF 25v close the the four pin socket from the PSU

Comment

what is the hm caps date code?

Comment

Working...
                                        X