HFE and Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HFE and Testing

I have an autoranging DMM that has a spot to put transistors labeled hfe and with a hole for: base, collector, emitter and collector and on my selector switch there is an hfe setting. Two questions. Is this sufficient to test these transistors and mosfets? Reading wise if I get a reading that falls within the minimum and maximum ratings on a Data Sheet for that transistor etc. does that mean that these are not shorted and are ok?
    Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Re: HFE and Testing

Originally posted by killian6pk View Post
    I have an autoranging DMM that has a spot to put transistors labeled hfe and with a hole for: base, collector, emitter and collector and on my selector switch there is an hfe setting. Two questions. Is this sufficient to test these transistors and mosfets? Reading wise if I get a reading that falls within the minimum and maximum ratings on a Data Sheet for that transistor etc. does that mean that these are not shorted and are ok?
    Hooo, boy!!! Lots of good questions, let's see if I can come up with some good answers, and tehn elaborate some more.

1. That is one method of testing a bipolar (base, collector, emitter) transistor. Mosfets work on a different principal, and this tester may not give meaningful results.

2. If a transistor is rated at a beta of 400-650 and you get a reading in that range, the transistor is good.

Now for the comments. Using this feature of your dmm is overkill in most cases. The only exception in monitor repair would be if you suspected you had a bad (low hfe) lot of 2SC5707 transistors (used in the inverters in Benq, Dell, and HP monitors).

A simple base-collector, base-emitter, collector-emitter resistance check will find any shorted transistor without the need of pulling it from the circuit board. There are a very few cases where the resistance test will give a false 'bad' reading - chiefly on the horizontal output transistor of CRT monitors. If your DMM has a diode test function, a simple base-emitter, base-collector test will ensure you aren't dealing with an open transistor.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Thanks Plain Bill you are always johnny on the spot with your answers. I appreciate it and I know everyone you help appreciates it also. I don't know how your read my mind, but the 5707 is what I was thinking about when I asked this question. I have one of the Dell/BenQ 172fpb 17" monitors that I decided to try to work on and that was the part I knew was bad sometimes. So add mind reading to your many other abilities.
      Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

Originally posted by killian6pk View Post
        I have one of the Dell/BenQ 172fpb 17" monitors
        These Benq boards have well known documented problems. Check c5707s, fu9024, and the picofuse. Resolder all the inverter transformer pins.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I had one of these today with one shorted 5705. I always replace the 5707's in pairs due to lot to lot variation in transistors which can cause failure upon replacement. Both transistors in the royer need to be close gain wise. fu9024 and fuse were fine but will be testing it before it goes back together.

While I'm waiting on deliveries, I re-soldered all traffo, caps, trannies, diodes, links inductors etc on the inverter and also replaced 2 1000uF 10V caps(ESR >> than spec). All others had excellent Capacitance and ESR... so brazenly I have left them in! Will be picking it up again after the Ireland v's Wales rugby tomorrow morning! Come on Ireland!

Comment

Working...
          X