Re: burnt resistor in flasher relay

2 rear pics
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GR3Y5H3ART View Post
        you are right, i got 12ACCT-ND when it should be 0.12ACCT-ND

not sure why i disregarded that Zero
        spoke with a Digi-Key rep. and OHM might not be as important as the 1W?

i think the Install Guide was made when 1 LED was way brighter than Regular Bulbs

per our conversation, decided on maybe trying this Resistor:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...RCT-ND/1166585

Comment

based on this pic, and going Left to Right

E, LL, LR, TL, TR, B

then

2 RED/BLU & 3 (BRN) should be the wires i should check and hopefully redoing them will fix the signal going to the MCU or Main Control Unit?
          So beside installing the 12 Ohms (instead of 0.12 Ohms) sensing resistor on the board, you also modified the wiring?
          As you can see from the spec sheet of the IC, the resistor is in series with the load (lamps), so if you modify the wiring then you should find out if some thing has shorted out.
          What happen if you put things back to original condition to get it to function before you change to the LEDs to see if it will work as before, then change the resistor to 0.12 Ohms and install your LED lights to see if it will work.
          Last edited by budm; 11-16-2014, 08:25 PM.
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

spoke with a Digi-Key rep. and OHM might not be as important as the 1W?

i think the Install Guide was made when 1 LED was way brighter than Regular Bulbs

per our conversation, decided on maybe trying this Resistor:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...RCT-ND/1166585
            The value is close but at 10 Watts it will likely be far too big to fit in the housing. if you are adding different LEDs or more LEDs then perhaps that is another problem. You may need to recalculate the use a different value resistor again.

I would go with what the guide said to use, at least to start with. Other people have followed that guide and had working flashers. The problem is that you got the wrong value resistor, even if you did everything else right.

I would do as budm said, put everything back how it was (if you changed any wiring) and put in an 0.12 Ohm 1 Watt resistor as stated in the guide, and then see what happens.

If it still doesn't work, go back to the original resistor and standard lamps and verify everything still works with stock configuration to rule out any other faults.
            Last edited by Agent24; 11-16-2014, 08:05 PM.
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
              So beside installing the 12 Ohms (instead of 0.12 Ohms) sensing resistor on the board, you also modified the wiring?
              As you can see from the spec sheet of the IC, the resistor is in series with the load (lamps), so if you modify the wiring then you should find out if some thing has shorted out.
              What happen if you put things back to original condition to get it to function before you change to the LEDs to see if it will work as before, the change the resistor to 0.12 Ohms and install your LED lights to see if it will work.
              i have not touched any of the wiring

i got a ECU replacement and thought i should check if just the wiring from the MCU to the ECU is all that would need to be changed and if i had the wiring diagram correct before splicing anything

Comment

"spoke with a Digi-Key rep. and OHM might not be as important as the 1W?" Does Digikey know how this resistor being used and know what kind of load and the resistance of the load being connected in series with resistor?
                @12V and 12 Ohms, max current draw if load is 0 Ohm will be 1A with power dissipation of 12W, but since we are not feeding into 0 Ohm load.

Lamp Outage Detection (Pin 8)
                The lamp current is monitored via an external shunt resistor, RShunt and an internal comparator, K1, with its reference voltage of
                typically 81mV (VS = 12V). The outage of one lamp out of two lamps is detected according to the following calculation:
                Nominal current of 1 lamp: 21W/(VS = 12V): Ilamp = 1.75A
                Nominal current of 2 lamps: 2 x 21W/(VS = 12V): Ilamp = 3.5A
                We recommend setting the detection threshold in the middle of the current range: Ioutage ≈ 2.7A
                Thus the shunt resistor is calculated as:
                RShunt = VT (K1)/Ioutage
                RShunt = 81mV/2.7 A = 30 mΩ
                Comparator K1's reference voltage is matched to the characteristics of filament lamps (see section “Control Signal Threshold”).
                The combination of the shunt resistor and the resistance of the wire harness prevents pin 8 from a too high voltage in the case
                of shorted lamps.
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                  The value is close but at 10 Watts it will likely be far too big to fit in the housing. if you are adding different LEDs or more LEDs then perhaps that is another problem. You may need to recalculate the use a different value resistor again.

I would go with what the guide said to use, at least to start with. Other people have followed that guide and had working flashers. The problem is that you got the wrong value resistor, even if you did everything else right.

I would do as budm said, put everything back how it was (if you changed any wiring) and put in an 0.12 Ohm 1 Watt resistor as stated in the guide, and then see what happens.

If it still doesn't work, go back to the original resistor and standard lamps and verify everything still works with stock configuration to rule out any other faults.
                  i may do that and pick up the .12 Ohm and install that one first

i can check with stock bulbs but thinking the problem is somewhere in the ECU/Flasher Relay. All LED Bulbs work normally but Left Turn Signal, Right Turn Signal coming on w/Lights, Will not show when lights are on but will in the daytime

Comment

about the lamps.
                    did the any of the originals have 2 elements, and 2 contacts on the base?
                    and did the led bulbs have the same?

i'v seen something similar with someone putting a single contact bulb into a double-contact socket once.

Comment

all are the same, only thing is with LEDs, sometimes they all light up one way and not at all or only half if put in the other way

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      about the lamps.
                      did the any of the originals have 2 elements, and 2 contacts on the base?
                      and did the led bulbs have the same?

i'v seen something similar with someone putting a single contact bulb into a double-contact socket once.

Comment

all are the same, only thing is with LEDs, sometimes they all light up one way and not at all or only half if put in the other way
                        That's not surprising. Unlike light bulbs which have no polarity and can run just fine no matter which direction current is flowing, LEDs are diodes which only allow current flow in one direction, so they do have to be connected around the right way to work.
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

how can you put a bc cap lamp in the "other way".
                          foto or link to the bulb please.

Comment

The part I had to get after burning the Resistor in the Flasher Relay. Whether it was due to the wattage being too high or too low, from the info I have gathered, Resistor wattage for the Flasher Relay can go from .12 OHM to .48 OHM with wattage 1W all the way up to 10W

I paid $50 for this part from CarBones in CO and highly recommend them for CO Members and next cheapest was $65.

If by chance you replace this and you need the ECU aka ECM or PCM, best price I found was $55 on Car-Part.com

Load Resistors for 2 Rear Turn Signals and 2 Front Turn Signals.

pic of 6 Wedge LED SMD 20 in Halo Projector Headlights w/HID Low Beams, Sliver Star High Beams, custom LED White in Emblem and H3 HID Fogs (new Ballast wasn’t good so excuse not having other side installed)

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                              how can you put a bc cap lamp in the "other way".
                              foto or link to the bulb please.
                              i would take a pic of this for you but after fixing, i am not going to install into my front turn signals and am going with Sliver Stars or OEM for the time being

THANKS to everyone for their help and NOW i gotr a couple Flasher Relays i can correctly install a Resistor into with functioning Turn Signals

Comment

took some pics of how it looks:

i now have 3 Flasher Relays and want to try and figure out the fix

the other Resistor arrive, should i try it?

just went through this huge problem so would like any input/advice before proceeding

Comment

info about the Bulbs

the Front Turn Signals seem to be a very sensitive and pretty sure the reason for the 1st mishap

does any of this info help to pin point the correct resistor?

Comment

Working...
                                  X