Gateway 19" FPD1975W help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway 19" FPD1975W help needed

I will be hopefully ordering the caps from Digikey at some point today, once I get them in and replace them I will let you know if I have success.

Thank you all for the help, I greatly appreciate it.

Comment

i had a problem with my monitor it didnĀ“t turn on then i read about replacing the capacitor i changed three 220 25v but still not working .. what can i do now...

Comment

sorry it was the same exact model.. gateway 19 fpd1975w... t

Comment

Originally posted by contenido20 View Post
          i had a problem with my monitor it didnĀ“t turn on then i read about replacing the capacitor i changed three 220 25v but still not working .. what can i do now...
          Change the rest of the caps or attach (using Manage Attachments - below the text entry area) pictures of the power supply in your computer so we can suggest tests to identify the problem.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
            Change the rest of the caps or attach (using Manage Attachments - below the text entry area) pictures of the power supply in your computer so we can suggest tests to identify the problem.

PlainBill
            thanks... i will post pictures in a couple of minutes... but if the rest of the caps seem to be ok are those could still be the ones causing problems?

Comment

thanks... i will post pictures in a couple of minutes... but if the rest of the caps seem to be ok are those could still be the ones causing problems?
              Every SMPS uses a 'startup cap', typically a 10 - 100uF, 50 volt cap. If this cap is open, the power supply will not work. It can also result in strange behavior if it's capacitance is low. Not only have some Chinese manufacturers learned how to make caps that fail without visible signs, this cap is small enough that it would never show any signs of failure. As a matter of routine, I replace that cap every time I encounter a 'won't start' problem, especially if other bad caps have been found.

PlainBill
              For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

hi

these are the pics from the power board.. iĀ“ve already changed the blue capacitor that you see in the pics... you guys told me to change all the caps iĀ“m about to do that but i wanted you to see a couple of pics before i do that...
                Attached Files

Comment

iĀ“ve already changed the blue capacitor that you see in the pics..
                  Geez, those blue Robicon caps (obviously trying to sound like Rubycon) are terrible caps. They are rated at 85C. C11 and C12 are probably dry since you can see the PCB is hot in that area.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                    Geez, those blue Robicon caps (obviously trying to sound like Rubycon) are terrible caps. They are rated at 85C. C11 and C12 are probably dry since you can see the PCB is hot in that area.
                    so what should i do .... i just ask for 220 25v caps and they gave me those i didnĀ“t know that they would that terrible...
                    i mean do i change every cap??

Comment

so what should i do .... i just ask for 220 25v caps and they gave me those i didnĀ“t know that they would that terrible...
                      i mean do i change every cap??
                      Fill in your location so we know which suppliers to recommend.

Those Robicon caps will not last long in an smps environment.
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

ok thanks... but i believe that's gonna be a problem 'cause i live in Monterrey, Mexico... maybe if you could give a list of a few brands that i could i use...
                        You said that those caps wont last long.. the thing is that it won't even turn on..

Comment

The startup cap that PlainBill is referring to is C206 on your board.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Do you have a multimeter? If yes, are you familiar with how to measure DC voltage? If yes, please list and report the DC voltages for CON203.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

ok i will change that one and let you guys know what happened thanks for your help so far...

Comment

yeah i know how to measure de DC voltage but i don't have one here right one... i'm gonna try to borrow one tomorrow and then i will post the the voltages... but in the meantime do i change the C206 cap??

Comment

but in the meantime do i change the C206 cap??
                                  Yes, go ahead. Try to find something like Panasonic FC for a replacement.

PS. A 85C cap won't last very long in your climate. In Canada with fall starting and winter coming, it might last a couple of months longer.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

ok thanks... but i believe that's gonna be a problem 'cause i live in Monterrey, Mexico... maybe if you could give a list of a few brands that i could i use...
                                    You said that those caps wont last long.. the thing is that it won't even turn on..
                                    Read the 'What Capacitors should I Buy?' thread in the FAQ for specific brands and series. My personal preference is Panasonic FM, FR, or FC series, but other good brands have equally good (or better) series.

PlainBill

Comment

Working...
                                    X