Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding out "Ripple Current" rating

Hello,

I have CM-7000 converter box that I want to re-cap.

I've read FAQ's so I do have a good idea what I need to do. But one thing I'm not sure about is what "Ripple Current" rating I need to get.

For example, four of the cap on the board are labeled: Chang / 470uf / 10v / 105c / -40+

From that info, how do I find out the ripple current rating?

Thanks,

Re: Finding out "Ripple Current" rating

I'm asking because I noticed when looking for caps on Digikey, that they have a ripple current rating in the specifications, and I don't know if I should be worried about what rating I'm getting.

The caps I'm replacing are the aluminum electrolytic type's.
    Last edited by x32; 08-21-2011, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Generally the higher the ripple value, the better.

Chang is apparently a brand of Huawei, see the website there: http://www.huaweiec.cn/index_en.asp

If you can determine the series, then here you should be able to find the datasheet for them : http://www.huaweiec.cn/product04_e.asp

My guess would be that Panasonic FR, FM series are good alternatives. Nichicon is also good (PM series I believe), Rubycon is also known but I couldn't recommend you a series.

If the selection for 10v is small, you could also try searching for 16v capacitors or even higher voltage rating, but make sure the capacitors would fit in the space you have on the board.

ps. bookmark this website in the future: http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/

Comment

Can't really tell you anything more than a quess without the name of the series.
        That's like saying you need an engine for a Ford.
        Well, a Ford - what?

I've seen Chang used in places that suggest some of them have decent specs.
        http://www.huaweiec.cn/product_list_e.asp
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Thanks for the links, I'll go ahead and bookmark them.

I re-checked the caps for a series number but oddly there isn't one. Only the caps on the logic board has a number but those are made by a different brand.

Since all the Chang caps are in the power supply, should I aim for replacements with the lowest ESR?
          Last edited by x32; 08-22-2011, 05:41 PM.

Comment

If there is a CDxxx type number on it that is shown in the data sheet list.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Nope, no series indication on any of the Chang caps.
              Attached Files

Comment

With the 1000uF 10v and that temp range these are the only possible series.
                I listed the 1000uF 10v can sizes in those series.

LF . 10x20mm
                GF . 8x20mm & 10x16mm
                GD . 8x16mm & 10x12.5mm
                RS . 8x20mm & 10x16mm
                FM . 12.5x20mm
                KM . 8x11.5mm
                RM . 10x16mm & 10x20mm

So measure the cap to narrow it down.
                Then of what is left use the one with the best specs to be conservative.
                Then do the same thing with the other cap sizes.
                In the future, it helps A LOT if you give the dimensions of the cap you are looking for along with the other specs when you first ask.
                Usually just diameter is enough.
                Sometimes [like this time] the length is also needed.
                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-23-2011, 10:05 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

All the Chang power supply caps are KM series, I now have the ripple rating's but I could not find the ESR in the chart. Do I just match the tangent instead?

Sorry for posting this question so late, I got sidetracked by something else...

Comment

Those are GP caps [General Purpose]. Not even low ESR.
                    It's still a good idea to use low ESR caps simply because they have higher quality standards and they don't usually cost more.

As common with GP caps the Ripple in the data sheet is stated at 120Hz and you need to know Ripple at 100kHz.

There is a Frequency Coefficient chart in the data sheet.
                    Use that to convert Ripple from 120Hz to >10kHz.

For example for 6.3v-25v caps multiply the Ripple@120Hz by 1.20 to get Ripple@100kHz [or rather "10kHz or greater"].

Once you have the Ripple @100kHz find some entry level low ESR caps [Panasonic FC, Nichicon PW, Chemicon LXZ or KY, there are probably dozens of series that will work] and choose the replacements based on the Ripple.
                    You want the same or more for Ripple.
                    - No need to got nuts looking for high numbers though.
                    It doesn't make the circuit work differently at all.
                    The rating is only a current -limit- for Ripple. [Like an amps rating on wire.]
                    Once you have enough - you have enough - and more won't matter.
                    The concern is ensuring you have at least as much as the old caps.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

DAMN! I should have asked this question much earlier...

I finished converting the ripple rates, I'm now going to go ahead and order the caps. Thanks a lot PCBONEZ for your help.

Comment

Working...
                      X