Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best brand of non-japanese capacitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats the best brand of non-japanese capacitors?

Originally posted by TCKTMB View Post
    Why I don't trust Chinese anything: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...11-08-13-41-48
    Why should a National Defence contractor buy QPL parts across the pacific ocean rather than buy from qualified manufacturers and distributors? What is the job of IQC? Why don't they reject the old/remarked components from the beginning? Tons of retired weapons and devices are disassembled and sold as electronic wastes to China, and now politicians complain about their getting back into there place again? Yes the Chinese government can help stopping this business, but why should they be responsible for the quality of American helicopters? How ironic.
    Last edited by Travis; 11-08-2011, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Don't forget we still have "bigger ones" such as EPCOS (is it owned by Japanese now?), KEMET, Vishay and AVX (sadly now it has become "AVX Kyocera"). There are hi-end electrolytic capacitor companies outside Japan that still present in audio devices, though they're seldom used in general electronic devices and SMPS.

Comment

I would say L-tec makes some pretty solid caps

Comment

Why should a National Defence contractor buy QPL parts across the pacific ocean rather than buy from qualified manufacturers and distributors?
          CNN ran this story again today, and I thought about what you wrote yesterday, and it occured to me that they could be buying assembled circuit boards from China with the counterfeit parts already on... Like power supplies or stuff like that.
          Not quite.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            they could be buying assembled circuit boards from China with the counterfeit parts already on... Like power supplies or stuff like that.
            If they had outsourced the circuit boards to Chinese factories, the boards would not only be filled with remarked rubbish chips, but also leak the design to Chinese people. If they decided to use Chinese electronic devices in their weapon, then "WTF are the IQC people doing" one more time.
            Last edited by Travis; 11-11-2011, 08:35 AM.

Comment

You can't leak the design of basic circuits that everyone already knows how to make...

Is it so far fetched to assume that they went to someone like ACBel or Newton in China, and that these aforementioned companies got some fake or relabeled parts in their supply line!?
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                You can't leak the design of basic circuits that everyone already knows how to make...

Is it so far fetched to assume that they went to someone like ACBel or Newton in China, and that these aforementioned companies got some fake or relabeled parts in their supply line!?
                Well, I don't believe those industry leaders will use fake or relabeled chips.
                Also, if the circuit is in the critical part, it is the core technology no matter how basic its principal is.

I don't think they will ever use a single circuit board that's made in a Chinese factory, if the board is going to be used in weapons or military vehicles.
                Last edited by Travis; 11-11-2011, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Keep in mind, you're not necessarily talking about outright counterfeit parts... What the Chineer do is they take a bunch of ICs, with close enough specs from old equipment, sand off the labelling, buff it, and then re-label it... The danger in this is that the parts are not new, nor are they always the exact same model...

They pad the chip tube with a few legitimate parts, and pack the middle with the refurbished parts... Most of the time, no one really cares... But for military application, I can see it being a real problem...

And yes, even *legitimate* supply lines can be tainted with counterfeit ICs... It's not so far fetched.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                    Um, no... I've replaced enough bad ones to write them all off.

Comment

Working...
                    X