Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Failed MCZ rubycons

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
    Where can you even get RJF? Their stuff aint easy to come buy. For the prices he's charging, you could have done a lot better just buying Nichicon HM/HN/HZ from the owner of this website...
    ELNA is a large vendor, and their capacitors are used in a lot of high-end equipment. I wouldn't touch the HM(M) series, much like KZG or MCZ.
    No point of risk when you can get something better like panasonic or sanyo.

Originally posted by LLLlllou View Post
    It's possible that IBM under speced the caps in those locations. It might have called for something in the HZ range, and rather than go with polymers, they just figured the MCZ would be able to handle the abuse. Even a Rubycon can only take so much abuse before it fails.
    Absolutely not. The MBZs (which are much larger than the MCZs) are set to take most of the heavy load, and they are not going bad at all!

System board manufacturers design the boards in a very specific manner. If the MCZs failed catastrophically (along with the cruddy KZGs!), yet the MBZs and other rubycons are fine... something is wrong with those series of capacitors.
    The cause of failure is due to the poor electrolyte used in the MCZs, and nothing else. Capacitors should be stronger than that.

Comment

I wouldn't touch the HM(M) series, much like KZG or MCZ.
      No point of risk when you can get something better like panasonic or sanyo.
      I would absolutely trust HM just as much as Sanyo or Panasonic...
      The cause of failure is due to the poor electrolyte used in the MCZs, and nothing else. Capacitors should be stronger than that.
      How do you know? I still haven't seen the inside of the PSU.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Erm, can we stop this before it erupts into a flame war? Please?

Some people like Nichicon, some don't. Some prefer Elna, others... would rather want to save money and/or use something else that may be closer to home or in stock.

Each to his own. Either way's fine by me. Just as long as nothing pops in huge numbers (or cause fires, data loss, hair loss, sterility etc.) I got no beefs with anyone's choice.

---

I was hoping to collect date codes on the borked MCZ. Perhaps some pics of the hardware and cases involved would be helpful too, so we can try to go somewhere with this thread. PSUs too would not be a bad idea to log as well.

I had a theory... given how spotty MCZ failures are, I wonder if, perchance, it's a certain combination of PSUs, motherboards with certain *specific* design/thermal factors, heat AND dirty wall power? It could be that in some cases, certain PSUs could be the culprit, while in other cases it's the motherboard having a subpar VRM, etc. And the other point brought up by LLLlllou is valid too. And... just perhaps... maybe Rubycon DID make a bum batch. That's what I want to find out.

Also, just because it's X big-name highfalutin company does NOT mean they won't try to cut corners at some point! *cough*Antec*cough*
        Last edited by UraBahn; 09-04-2012, 09:11 PM.
        The ever-amazing (and ever-affordable) KY, Chemi-con's best kept secret.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)

Comment

There is really no reason not to trust HMs (and HNs). Ok, they had a problem back then, but there is not a single incident of 2005 and later made HM/HNs failing.

Comment

I have heard reports of some 2005 ones having issues. Personally I chuck the 2005 ones as well just to be safe.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I've seen spotty mass failures of Nichicon HM early 2005. Surely it took many weeks to clear out the faulty formula from every supply room. While I've only seen failures within the first 6 weeks of 2005 I only leave them alone after the 20th week of 2005.

Unfortunately after 2005 usage of HM is so rare that it's hard to tell how they stack up against the competition. Either that or they are so good that boards with them rarely show up on the service desk.
              sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                there is not a single incident of 2005 and later made HM/HNs failing.
                Yes there is -> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17506
                better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                  There is really no reason not to trust HMs (and HNs). Ok, they had a problem back then, but there is not a single incident of 2005 and later made HM/HNs failing.

Comment

Working...
                  X