Pencil Tip or Chisel Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pencil Tip or Chisel Tip

Hi, I am currently in in the process of recapping a motherboard.
    To be precise, the motherboard is an MSI 694D Pro Version 1.0.
    I have purchased appropriate capacitors for the job already.

About half a year ago I purchased a cheap soldering station from a market for
    electronics projects (such as this) and also in the future since I am a student
    studying some electronics.
    The soldering station is a Lukey 936A. It is supposed to be ESD safe.
    The official page of the product is on:

http://www.lukey.cn/english/products...p?ProductID=18

This soldering station seems to be an OEM model of many cheap soldering stations available in common electronics stores. This page has all the
    specifications:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...=&SUBCATID=627

Even though it looks different, the specifications are exactly the same and it
    works in the same way and uses the same tips etc. (I think it is the same
    soldering station but with a slightly different soldering iron holder)

Anyway, it comes with a pencil tip. Would it be wise to purchase a chisel
    tip for this soldering station? If I were to buy a chisel tip, should it be a fine
    0.8mm tip or a medium 1.6mm tip or a wide 3.2mm tip?

Keep in mind that I am an electronics amateur and have not done a job of
    this scale before.

I have searched for the answer using the search function on the badcaps
    forums and found nothing on this topic.

Thanks

Re: Pencil Tip or Chisel Tip

1.6 sounds nice
    can you recap easy with the pencil tip, maybe not so if so get the chisel
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I highly recomend chisel tip, wit pencil tip i would say it is not going fast if ever.

What sould this unit cost?
        I have considered a similar unit too (as it was cheap) but i found the wattage a little low.
        I know, that wattage is not the only concern, tips and fast regulation are too .

So if it is working with it, pls let me know. I settled at with a 60w mains powered & temp controled cheap standard iron made in China.
        I bought a cheap iron plated tip set for 7€ too and are now happy to have a chisel like tip (well it is far better than those penicl tips, even for normal pcb`s).

Befor i could use this iron, i had to get all the crappy oxides and mud out of the tip, as there was not mutch heat transfer from the cearamic heating elemnt (wich btw. won`t last very long on the unregulated irons from that type).

Comment

it is good also for the tips to be short for better heat transfer. i never understand why they make some tips quite long, especially the pencil tips. there is rarely a problem with access to work.

if pencil tips are needed it is recommended to get a conical one for better heat transfer. still i dont like and a chisel turned on its small side is the best all round solution for small work.
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
            I highly recomend chisel tip, wit pencil tip i would say it is not going fast if ever.

What sould this unit cost?
            I have considered a similar unit too (as it was cheap) but i found the wattage a little low.
            I know, that wattage is not the only concern, tips and fast regulation are too .

So if it is working with it, pls let me know. I settled at with a 60w mains powered & temp controled cheap standard iron made in China.
            I bought a cheap iron plated tip set for 7€ too and are now happy to have a chisel like tip (well it is far better than those penicl tips, even for normal pcb`s).

Befor i could use this iron, i had to get all the crappy oxides and mud out of the tip, as there was not mutch heat transfer from the cearamic heating elemnt (wich btw. won`t last very long on the unregulated irons from that type).
            Yesterday I bought a 1.6mm chisel tip for the soldering station, I have not used the tip yet so I can not say whether it is good.

I have used the soldering station before and it seemed alright. Although I never used it for any long period of time nor for many jobs.

The soldering station is quite basic, it is only an analogue soldering station. There is a POT to adjust the temperature of the soldering iron but it is not a temperature controlled station. This just means that the temperature on the dial does not necessarily match the temperature at the tip. A tip thermometer can be purchased as an optional accessory. There is also a temperature controlled model as well (although I have not seen these so I do not know how much it costs, the model is the Lukey 936+ or 936D). My unit cost Aus$60 to buy (the Lukey 936A). Although I have seen the same soldering station sold in different stores under different names.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...=&SUBCATID=627

That one is the same and costs Aus$79 to buy. The web page also states all the technical specifications.

I can take pictures of it if you like, like the heating element or something. It is no real problem.

Comment

If you get a tip wide enough you can heat both solder points when removing capacitors, so they slide out straight (although possibly burn the board if using if not careful). Wide chisel tip also good for pushing solder around.
              Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

I look for cheap tips on sale, whatever shape, buy a bunch and just carve them to shapes I like. Even bought copper rod before and tapped an end on it and then carved the tip to shape. (Bust that iron tho')

My favourite own-rolled tip shape at the moment is hard to describe, it's a kinda "lopsided pyramid" kinda manages to roll in the benefits of a pencil tip, chisel tip and a hmmm whaddaya call-um.. sliced cylinder type effort, spade tip??? You've got a point, a flat edge each side and a broader flat on top for best heat transfer. Kinda works good as a "plow" too for those times when you have a lot of solder on a large pad, holding down the tab of an RF enclosure or something, you can "plow out" the tab and get the point under it and prize it up without having to get everything too hot.

Front view looks kinda like this.... _\/_ if that makes anything at all clearer. Get an old tip, and file it to that shape and try it out.

Road Warrior

Comment

I personally love this iron coating, as i burnt down just one tip per board with my older 80w iron (with plain copper tip, but high temp).

Comment

I've recently switched from a 3mm screwdriver tip to a 1.6mm. Like Will said, turned on the short side, very easy to get in tight spots.

Comment

Don't forget tip tinner / cleaner, regularly wipe the tip keep it looking new (not with sandpaper/glasspaper).
                      Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Working...
                      X