Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50" Philips 50PFP5332D/37 Plasma No Picture, Has Sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 50" Philips 50PFP5332D/37 Plasma No Picture, Has Sound?

Usually when you have a dim/faint picture it's the X-main, and the testing could be wrong.
    See this video (Z-sustain same as X-main):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8MNQYXw8E0
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Have you got the back off it still? maybe post a clear shot of it for a look.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdetroit View Post
        tom66,

I dont think its the x-main board because the shop jimmy guy walked me through doing voltage testing on the board. It seemed to be fine but I could test it again to be sure. Any suggestions as to what areas I should test?

Thanks!
        The xmain gets its power from the YMain. Check that cable is connected to the ymain.

Comment

Yes I still have the back off. Here are some pics guys. again thank you so much!
          Attached Files

Comment

tom66,

yup thats the same exact snowy pic i have like in the youtube video. I will check the board again like in the youtube link you sent me. Actually thats how the shopjimmy tech had me to check the board fuses. The exact same way. But I will check them again.

Thanks buddy!

Comment

tom66,

also here is a pic of my fuse tester im using. Please tell me which mode it should be on when testing and what the reading should say for a good fuse. I want to make sure im doing everything 100% correct.

Thanks!
              Attached Files

Comment

also here is a pic of my fuse tester im using. Please tell me which mode it should be on when testing and what the reading should say for a good fuse. I want to make sure im doing everything 100% correct.
                One retiredcaps' bonus point for a picture of your clamp meter.

It is already set to the ohms function in your picture. The "0L" is the correct reading when your probes are not touching.

If you touch the probes together it should read 1 or 0 ohms depending on the resolution of the clamp meter.

A good fuse should read less than 1.0 ohm. If it is blown or bad, it will read 0L.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by tw2005 View Post
                  The xmain gets its power from the YMain. Check that cable is connected to the ymain.
                  Apologies, wrong about the xmain power. Everything looks connected. Can you hear a faint buzz from the xmain board suggesting it's on? Or maybe remove power from it and see what change you get. I'm not sure if it will fire up or maybe shutdown if it sees a fault.

Comment

Hello all sorry for the late reply. I just tested z sus and main power board and all the readings I got were like .3 in "OL" setting. So im going to assume its the upper buffer board as tw2005 suggested. What do you guys think? If so should I replace just the upper buffer board or the lower also? Thanks all!

Comment

Can you show us where the "OL" setting is on your meter? If it's on ohms - that's a dead short, and it's bad if that's from one end of the fuse to ground, but good if across the fuse. The problem you have is very unlikely to be a buffer board.
                      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Also I used a diff tester because the original tester I was using I felt was giving me weird reading. The tester I used gave me readings like in the youtube video tom66 posted for me. Here's a pic of the reader i used.
                        Attached Files

Comment

tom66,

I did just like in the video you sent me. I didnt put the negative probe to the ground screw and the positive probe to one end of the fuse, I put each probe to each end of the fuse.

Thanks!

Comment

And you got the 0.3 reading? Something is not right - the TV should have shut itself down if the board is shorted.

Comment

tom66,

I did just like in the video you sent me. I didnt put the negative probe to the ground screw and the positive probe to one end of the fuse, I put each probe to each end of the fuse.

Thanks!
                              Well, that means the fuse is good. There is likely not a short.
                              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

tom66,

the tv was not on or plugged up. I unplugged the tv to test. should i have had the tv plugged up and on?

Comment

No, unplugged is good. Try measuring the voltage on each end of that fuse with power on. You're expecting around 200V; the exact voltage will be labelled on the sticker on the rear of the plasma panel.

Comment

tom66,

What mode should I have it on to measure the voltage of the fuses while the power is on? Should it still be in "OL" mode?

Comment

Volts DC mode - the "V" with the solid line and dashed line. NOT the V with the squiggle - that is AC volts.

Comment

tom66,

Yeah the boards were good. I think its the buffers. I ordered both. So I'll see how that works out when I get them. Again THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!! I truly appreciate it!

Comment

tom66,

guess who's back. Ok here's the latest scenario. Since I last posted. I replaced BOTH the upper&lower buffer board and the picture is STILL snowy. So again this morning I tested both the z&y sus boards. The reading I got for both fuses on both boards was 207V, the exact voltage as its indicated on the voltage sticker for the tv. I measured the voltage as you suggested with the power on, and the reader on Volts DC mode with the solid line and dashed line. Now im starting the think it might be the main power board. When i measured the fuses on the main I got readings of some fuses at 12V, some at 360V,etc. Is their a particular way I should measure the fuses on the main power board?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                          X