How to use a dim bulb tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use a dim bulb tester

As suggested by another forum member, I have made a dim bulb tester to assist with repairing a TV.

Can someone please teach me how to to use this dim bulb tester with my TV? It's a 200 watt Panasonic Plasma TV.

Also, how exactly does this thing protect the TV from blowing fuses should a short occur?

Re: How to use a dim bulb tester

The TV is not expected to operate correctly with the dim bulb in series, typically it will power on but not produce any image or only produce a dim image. The bulb will typically glow dimly, or flicker, if the TV operates, or will flash on and off as the TV power cycles.

The bulb acts as series resistance, if a short occurs it drops most of the voltage so the TV only sees a couple of volts, which massively lowers the chance of damage. When this occurs the bulb will also light up.

The bulb has low resistance when first turned on, which can help the TV start up quicker, but once it runs and warms, its resistance increases dropping current lower.

For your set use around a 100W bulb.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
    X