Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bios post cards or other fault diagnostic methods

Hello.
    I buy two post cards for diagnostic boards when all voltages and pwsignals is working but have blacck screen. One 5$ shit and Debug king post card, but they uset to be nearly unusefull. Have anybody some better cards or other diagnostic methods when board is starting but no video??
    Last edited by ktmmotocross; 07-06-2014, 11:22 AM.

Re: bios post cards or other fault diagnostic methods

Debug cards only work when the mainboard has routed the LPC bus thru to the wifi card slot. This is not a requirement, it is optional in the specs, so it's up to the manufacturer to do it. Generally i've noticed that HPs all seem to have it, other manufacturers, less so. The bus is always exposed somewhere on the motherboard but you'll have to solder wires.

In most cases it still boils down to voltage measurements. Or if you have a fancy digital scope...
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

U ROCK MAN!!!!
      i was sad about not working cards and now i look to the schematic for laptop and found debug connector. Im gonna make some wiring and wish me luck :-)

Comment

this work sucks. no connector on board and sooo tiny 14 pins that must have soldered connector and attach flex with stripped wires. lot of work.

Comment

LPC bus is only 7 wires.
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

use kynar wire.
            if you need REALLY small wire, use enamel covered copper wire by unwinding a small transformer.

Comment

I bought one of those PCI tester cards for desktops years ago, it worked in only one board (Pentium 1)

The next time I tried it in another board, the ICs got hot and the motherboard was killed. Cheap Chinese trash!
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

1 image - asus f5z - no connector
                2 image - dr4ag soldering works good
                3 image - attached flax and strip wires
                4 image - schematic of LPC connector
                5 image - Anybody know where i can find connector to this slot?
                Attached Files

Comment

Steal a mini-PCIE from a dead board.

Comment

i mean the LPC port/picture edited/

went to the best local parts store but they will have it about week
                    Attached Files

Comment

It seams we have the same POST card. I used mine connected to LPC debug points but i get it working only when i press power on button, then i get only clk and 3,3V signals. This card works OK when connected to PCI slot only.

Comment

but mini pci slots have VERRY LITTLE support.

Comment

damn my card missing just the elpc conector.

Comment

Telling the truth, i didn't manage to see any difference. Why don't you put it to wifi slot for testing? It has mini pci-e port on every laptop.
                            Last edited by pcbmaniac; 07-07-2014, 05:57 AM.

Comment

ofcourse i put it to minipcie port but it seems that noone board is supported.
                              ELPC port have only asus

Comment

I have the same card too. Like i said, it works well on HP laptops, hit and miss with all others.

Comment

no luck with LPC on other board? my card work only on ddr1 but never on ddr2/3

Comment

Don't you manage to test it? No lights? Show us a photo of the card already connected to mobo on mini pci-e slot when you press power on button.

Comment

just CLK light up and have 0 on code

Comment

It means it simply doesn't put out any codes... There are boards which give LPC clock but don't put out codes. For the POST card to report anything, the KBC and soutbhridge have to be good.

Comment

Working...
                                        X