Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 912N Problem

Hi BadCaps folks,

After six months of searching, I have finally come across another dead monitor - on Craigslist. The good news is that the monitor was free, and the other news is that it doesn't look like a straightforward cap replacement project.

On this particular 912N, if I plug in the power cord only, I get the shifting box that says Check Signal - only the box borders are not as well defined as I would expect. And then, when I plug in the video cord to my PC, it goes into 'two seconds to black' mode.

I have taken a cursory look at both boards, and saw nothing out of the ordinary, including the always-suspect Samxon caps. I have tried reseating the ribbon cables, and also tried a different VGA cord. Power board photos are below; I can post logic board photos if necessary.

It is my hope that these symptoms sound familiar to someone; my backup plan is to change the caps and hope for the best.

LAS.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LAS; 03-30-2012, 10:04 PM.

Re: Samsung 912N Problem

Originally posted by LAS View Post
    After six months of searching, I have finally come across another dead monitor - on Craigslist.
    I also have dry spells where there are no monitors and then I get the odd batch. It is hard to justify buying better tools with nothing to fix!

And then, when I plug in the video cord to my PC, it goes into 'two seconds to black' mode.

I can post logic board photos if necessary.
    1) 2 seconds to black can be

a) bad caps (Samxon GF are a known bad series)
    b) bad ccfls
    c) bad ccfl wiring
    d) bad inverter transfomer

2) What is the part number of T602 and T603?

3) More about the subject can be found starting with post#19 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

4) Your logic board is likely working since the power LED is on and you can see the display briefly.

5) Great photos.

6) Check b), c), and d) first before replacing any caps.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi Retiredcaps,

I was hoping to hear from you. The inverters check out ok. Am I able to substitute an 1157 auto bulb in place of a ccfl?

I'm thinking this monitor may have been dropped, as the base is broken where it is secured to the monitor with the four screws.

Comment

Also - I only get the two seconds to black after the video cable is attached. Maybe low voltages due to bad caps?

Comment

Am I able to substitute an 1157 auto bulb in place of a ccfl?

I'm thinking this monitor may have been dropped, as the base is broken where it is secured to the monitor with the four screws.
          I never tried with an auto bulb.

If the monitor has been dropped, then you may have a broken ccfl?

You can try the test in post #20 section 5b.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm sure you don't mean to replace the ccfl with a low voltage bulb? The ccfl runs at a much higher voltage and a normal bulb would just blow.
            Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
            Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

I had read earlier about the use of an 1157 auto bulb - but I was mistaken. I have a spare ccfl bulb available at my office, and I can fully test it Monday.

In the meantime, I keep thinking about how I don't get the two seconds to black when there is no video cable attached. Makes me think it might indeed be a caps problem.

Comment

<<<2) What is the part number of T602 and T603?>>
                TMP90199CT
                0424E

I also have been able to verify that each tube lights up briefly when only one is plugged in at a time, ie I get two seconds to black with each one in turn.

An interesting observation is that the roving 'Check Signal Cable' rectangle is not uniform along its edges.

I have also measured 156 volts across the large cap.

Sounds like it might be time to order the caps unless anything in this comment leads anyone to think of anything else to check.

So, to recap (ha ha, no pun intended)
                When turned on with no video cable attached, I get the roving 'Check Signal' rectangle, but with erratic edges;
                Attaching a video cable and computer leads to two seconds to black;
                inverters check out ok;
                When only one ccfl is attached at a time, all lead to two seconds to black;
                Caps look ok but are all original Samxon;
                The two round fuses have continuity (am I missing any others?)
                Connectors have been reseated;
                155v across the big cap.

New caps time?

Thanks all as always.

Comment

When only one ccfl is attached at a time, all lead to two seconds to black;
                  That is expected. The pwm inverter IC operates as "all or nothing". Either all ccfls work or none at all.

Testing one ccfl at a time only verifies that the ccfl itself isn't cracked or completely broken. The problem still could be that the ccfl is getting old and drawing too much currrent and/or the return wiring is internally frayed.

The only way to completely rule out the ccfls is to use a good spare one.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Same as retired caps comment..... I would also say if you have more than 1 spare ccfl then bring that test also. I have pent a few wasted hours looking for other faults when in fact I had 2 broken ccfl cables
                    Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
                    Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Project on hold for a few days while I salvage some ccfls from a broken monitor at work, and also for my caps to arrive. I figure that the caps should be done anyhow, as long as it is apart and may indeed be the problem. $7 from DigiKey, all in, is a true bargain.

I'll post next week after I move forward. Thanks again all.

Comment

I figure that the caps should be done anyhow, as long as it is apart and may indeed be the problem. $7 from DigiKey, all in, is a true bargain.
                        Save the old Samxon GF caps. They may come in handy for other projects where you need to stick in a cap for testing purposes.

I reuse unbloated old caps if they measure up to their capacitance for side projects. I don't have an ESR meter though.

For example, I have a couple of no name ATX power supplies that have bloated caps. I would never use them in a system and I would recap them with used caps and use them as a variable power supply for testing purposes.

$7 doesn't even cover the shipping costs to Canada ($8 s/h).
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

QUOTE retiredcaps post
                          I reuse unbloated old caps if they measure up to their capacitance for side projects. I don't have an ESR meter though.

sorry for hijacking the thread i also dont have a esr meter but have a good vc6013 capacitance meter which i use
                          http://www.victorelectronics.com/spe...6013_specs.htm
                          so as long as there are within in correct uf etc ranges with no signs of bulging etc they should still be ok to re use in other projects and if still in use and read the correct capacitence they should be ok?
                          Last edited by vinceroger69; 04-01-2012, 05:59 AM.

Comment

A cap can still be within its capacitance tolerance, but be totally out on ESR.

Here is evidence from my fellow Canadian smason ...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...on+newbies+esr
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

thanks for the link will have to invest in a esr meter then or build one.

Comment

Project on hold for a few days while I salvage some ccfls from a broken monitor at work...
                                A minor problem is at hand, and I am hoping some BadCaps person can help. I have dissected a dead Dell monitor so I can use the ccfl for testing in my Samsung, but I immediately saw that the Dell connectors are different.

Does anyone have an unwanted bad Samsung ccfl wire and connector? If I can get ahold of one, then I can cut the Dell wires and splice on the Samsung wires.

I have a PayPal account and would gladly send $ for postage and whatever you think it is worth. I live in California.

PM me if you can help. Thanks.

Comment

A little OT, but last week I bought some capacitors for my guitar amplifier from Newark element14, and since it was my first purchase, they emailed me with a 15% off voucher code to either use or share with friends. I would rather not post it onto the internet, but have no problems passing long in a PM if anyone would like it. It can be used multiple times until 4/30.

Comment

So Digikey arrived today, and all caps have been replaced, but my monitor is still up to its same old tricks. The good news, however, is that I am getting quite procifient at changing caps, and can now do it in record time, and the board looks cleaner than ever too. Too bad it didn't fix the problem though.

I have attached a photo of the 'Check Signal Cable' screen saver that comes up as soon as I power on the monitor with no cable attached. It shifts all over the monitor every few minutes, so the ccfls are working, and not shutting down, but the rectangle doesn't look quite right. Has anyone ever seen a Samsung screen saver look this odd before?

I'm also thinking I don't have the '2 seconds to black' phenomenon. The screen saver, however, does go out as soon as I plug in the signal cable. And then I get nothing.

So at this time I once again appeal to the collective wisdom to ask if anyone has ever seen such a situation before.

Thanks all.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Post a picture of the logic/main board.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The screen saver, however, does go out as soon as I plug in the signal cable. And then I get nothing.
                                        What do you mean by nothing?

1) What color is the power LED when nothing happens?

2) If you shine a flashlight on the screen, can you see your desktop?

3) Are the backlights on or off during nothing?

4) Is the screen white or black during nothing?

5) Have you tried a different VGA cable?
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                        X