Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insignia BRDVD4 powers on with blue light blinking then shuts off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insignia BRDVD4 powers on with blue light blinking then shuts off.

I am unsure what is wrong with this unit but ... I will say the transformer seems awfully noisy. Symptoms are the power led blinks blue then shuts off I am curious as to what the cause is but I would be guessing it is likely a power supply related issue because the standby lights work I would say it would be something in the non standby circuit is not getting the proper voltage or something along that line as I said the transformer is louder then I would suspect it would be but the problem with this is it is labeled BCK02 and the company it appears is OQO that makes it and I can find zero information on this unit but I am willing to replace it on a hunch is this normally a high failure item or would there be no power at all and a blown fuse if it were faulty?

I guess I dunno much but am trying to learn and figured this broken item would be great to learn from... I will likely be ordering a good one with good boards so I could narrow it down to the power board or the main board. Everything is just based upon a hunch currently until I learn some more. But I really have the need to learn a bit more about these circuits.

I will include a picture of the PSU just for reference in case it helps.
    Attached Files
    Please note: I am not responsible for any harm caused to you anything discussed is just discussion. Before you try anything discussed be sure that you have the appropriate knowledge and safety gear for the job. Like with anything education and safety are first! Do not try anything @ home without it.

Re: Insignia BRDVD4 powers on with blue light blinking then shuts off.

picture is not big enough can you get it to just less than 2mb and also post one of the back of the board

Re the green caps Teapo or what.
    Last edited by selldoor; 04-07-2012, 06:50 AM.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Agreed, larger pic would be nice and is that a picture of YOURS or only an example pic from someone else? Basic method would be checking whether the output rail voltages seem to be stable and in the range what they are connected to would need... with and without the load(s) connected.

Comment

OK got out the good camera and took some pics maybe this would help.
        Attached Files
        Please note: I am not responsible for any harm caused to you anything discussed is just discussion. Before you try anything discussed be sure that you have the appropriate knowledge and safety gear for the job. Like with anything education and safety are first! Do not try anything @ home without it.

Comment

@999999999 - good spot. not his board then!

@infringer - so what make are the caps.
          Duff high ripple caps might make the transformer noisy.

Test the voltages as 999999999 suggests and post the results along side
          the expected results as shown on the board.

EDIT haha JUNZL - never heard of them

What is the big cap
          Last edited by selldoor; 04-07-2012, 10:11 AM.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Big cap is 100uf BHA Y style CDT03 rated at 105c hrmm so how often do inductors go I guess I am having troubles pinning exactly where the problem lies upon visual inspection all fuses on the main board and the Power Supply seem to have continuity and none of the Caps look like they are in bad shape. But I will have to get out the LCR meter to check for sure I just figured there might be a problem area that would be simplistic to start at without having to go through everything being that there are some old timers with a knack for this stuff on this forum. I'm learning I hope to be able to find them problem areas quickly in due time but for now my hunches are newbieish.

Comment

dang LCR meter crapped out I forgot only reads 1 on everything its toasted no fuse and was used on a 300v cap when item was plugged in only rated for 30v pretty useless now but got an extra set of leads for my multimeter if I need it. Oh well live and learn at least that reminds me I still need a new LCR meter dunno why I figured it was 300v hadn't used it for a while and didn't look to check just assumed.

Comment

Cant find anything at all on BHA caps- Id suspect as poor. Unless you have an ESR meter testing the caps will not prove much unless you find one thats shorted.
                Id go for testing the output voltages and see if they are steady. perhaps
                using automotive bulbs to put a load on. That would then give you an indication as to whether the fault lies in the power supply or on the main board.

Having read the above I would remind you of two simple rules
                Measure voltage with power on
                Measure resistance with power off (at lest 5 minutes)
                Last edited by selldoor; 04-07-2012, 12:12 PM.

Comment

15.50 scored me both of the boards so I will test if it is only the power board when I get the boards in a week or better... Until then I will continue to work on a few other projects I got going poor mans projector fix amongst other things also waiting on parts 42" Vizio waiting on a main board. One PS3 here that needs a new sled I'll probably get that one up and running yet tonight. Other then that everything is fixed I think wish I could find and endless supply of broken electronics lol! All is good practice.

Comment

it was the power board there is a 4 pin component next to the transformer that goes and takes out the big capacitor on the board...

Comment

^ What? The only 4 pin component I see next to the transformer is an optoisolator, I'm not seeing how its failure would take out a capacitor nor how the cap would be taken out but not have vented or exploded.

Comment

Yeah, that does not make sense, the large cap is exposed to the rectified DC from power line by the bridge and could not careless what happen to the OPTOISLATOR for the feedback circuits to maintain the output voltage.
                        Unless he meant the Bridge rectifier (4-pin) next to the Common mode line filter choke.
                        Never stop learning
                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I've had a shorted bridge take out a cap, but only on the second time round (after replacing the fuse)... the first time it seemed to have survived.
                          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
                          X