Windows Vista OEM question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Vista OEM question

I have Vista Ultimate x64 on my desktop, which I bought OEM.

If I decide to buy Windows 7 in the full OEM version and replace Vista entirely, would I be able to use the old Vista disc and key to install to another computer, or is it locked to the current hardware? I've done it with XP, just had to call and get a new key. Not sure how it works with Vista though.

Re: Windows Vista OEM question

I'm sure the same policies apply with Vista.

From my understanding when you register a CD key it stores your current hardware configuration on MSs servers as long as your hardware matches the same footprint (with the exception of minor changes like memory, HDD, etc) you can reinstall and reactivate as often as you want.

If the hardware differential between what's on the server and what you have is beyond the limit then it won't reactivate and you have to call.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Re: Windows Vista OEM question

A OEM key is bound to the mainboard, a retail key is not bound at all

However you are allowed to change the mainboard on a computer using a OEM license incase the old one stops working...

So when you call them to activate you have to tell them your old mainboard became damaged so you had to _replace_ it
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
      X