All Aol Junk Software...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Aol Junk Software...help!

I've been using AOL 9.0SE for a few years. I know, its the internet with "Training Wheels" but it works for me. Now I'm having a small problem with its function. When I close my welcome screen I used to get a small AOL channels box on the left of the screen. Now what is displayed in this small box is part of my welcome screen not the channels. So thinking My install was corrupted I uninstalled and reinstalled AOL 9.0SE. It still didn't function right for me. I then went and downloaded the newer version AOL 9.5 and installed same. The channels did work two or three times then died again. Next I find this AOL 10.1 so I tried it. This 10.1 is like Vista or something. It got all the blinking lights and Icecream you could ever want but its a turd. These different AOL's have now been installed and uninstalled manytimes trying to get the channel BS to work right with no luck! All this is on a freash and fully updated install of Legal Dell Xp Home on the PC that it came with. What is wrong, and how do I fix it? Before anyone even starts I have Linux on the hard drive that I use also. This one has Mint Gloria. The Lappy has Kabuntu / Windows Xp. As a side note the AOL 9.0 on the Lappy works just fine sometimes, and other times it screws up just like my desktop is doing. AOL and MSN on the same start page? That made me think that they now like each other or something....
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: All Aol Junk Software...help!

Nothing wrong with using AOL, I'll admit I used to love it back in the day when we first got internet... when I was a 5th grader...

I miss those days sometimes (sniff)

Comment

lol i still have aol, despite having comcast. its kind of convenient. not the whole plan, the $3 a month plan. back in the day i remember before forums everybody was on the aol community bbs.

Comment

Oh god, AOL. Me too, about 6th grade. I remember those days, warez chatrooms where they would send you all 33x1.44mb emails and you had to download them on dialup. You could kick people offline too.... then I found the real internet and having the AOL software open was a PITA.

I think I used like 2.5-4.0 and then got a normal dialup account. I still use aim though.

Comment

How do I find this "real" internet ??? Would Firefox 3.5 Opera be the way to Salvation? AOL Suck now! I was going to do another reprogram on this thing so I put Vista over Xp again just for shits. I still have to say Vista ia a POS! Even with it picking up all my Xp settings its still a dog!
          Last edited by Junk Parts; 10-24-2009, 04:12 AM. Reason: add
          "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
          Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
          John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
          Rod Serling

Comment

AOL had its own content and keywords as you know, now its probably pretty sparse. With the earlier versions they made real web browsing a pain inside the AOL MDI in order to push you towards their stuff.

Comment

I found AOL VR 9.0 on "Old Versions.com" today. I got good "Training Wheels" again. Channels still don't work but what the hell I don't use them anyway...I also have a disk I burned and stashed away somewhere with all the aol's back to 4.0 on it. My brother says that a few versions of aol are on every disk but I have never taken the time to look. As for this "real internet" here are my options at hand. AOL... IE8...MSN....FireFox 3.5, and the browsers in Mint Gloria, and Kabuntu. I also have the Verizon DSL software/browser but its not installed, and I could download Opera if needs be. If the "real internet" is a command line sort of thing I don't think that I want it anyway. I was never good with DOS. I learned enough to just get by at best. I don't want to go back to things like cd c:\ and deltree...ect.
              Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Thats how it is now but in 1996-7 it was not so. It was netscape and IE. By default things would open in the AOL browser. Thats what I mean by real internet.

Comment

How many of you remember when TV commercials ended with "Look us up at AOL keyword _____" instead of advertising a _____.com?

Comment

I do. Its been a WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILE

Comment

Working...
                    X