Need help finding replacement Nichicon capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help finding replacement Nichicon capacitors

First of all, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

I am repairing a flat screen TV suffering from a bad capacitor issue. However I am having some difficulty finding replacement capacitors.

The original capacitors are Nichicon and are on the power supply board. The failed capacitor is a 200 volt 820 uF GG series with a package dimension of 30mm dia. x 25mm tall. I would like to replace the 2 other capacitors, one being another 200 volt 820 uF and the 3rd being a 200 volt 470 uF with a package dimension of 25mm x 25mm series GN. They are all snap-in style capacitors.

I am unable to locate either of the GG or GN series in the values I need. I found similar Nichicon capacitors with the right voltage and capacitance ratings and the same package dimensions but they are a different series. I was able to find the rated ripple on the Nichicon data sheet to make sure I am getting the same or higher but where I am stuck is trying to locate the ESR value on any of the Nichicon data sheets. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Need help finding replacement Nichicon capacitors

I am no expert on cap selection but it seems the GG and GN are older series of caps - if you can get the correct values, physical size and fitting that you need and the ripple ratings are similar or better then with a good make like nichicon I would just go for them.
    These large caps dont often go bad - is there some reason for changing them.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

The TV won't turn on- I don't even get a standby light when it is plugged in. There are no output voltages whatsoever going from the board to any other boards in the TV. Fuses check ok and there are no loose or broken connections/solder joints. The 820 uF cap has a slight bulge to it- when I removed it from the board I put it upside down on the table and I can spin it freely. All the other capacitors look to be ok from a physical inspection.

Comment

Sometimes these larger caps appear to bulge - I am assuming it spins on its end?
        Is it a metal end. They sometimes have a plastic end piece and this bulges whilst the metal end underneath is not bulged - You can try pushing it in or removing the plastic to have a look. As you were thinking of replacing you have nothing to loose and the plastic dioesnt have to be replaced.
        I suggest you start a new thread in the trouble shooting tvs section state the make and model number in the title or search to see if there are any threads for the same model that you can re open ( saves us looking around for information.)
        You will of course have to put the caps back in to do the tests.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

First of all, let me just give out a little background info since I am new here. I am a troubleshooting technician for an electronics company. However, since we only repair products that we manufacture in house I have absolutely nothing to do with sourcing replacement parts or keeping them in stock. If a part is bad, I go to the parts person with a part number and that is the extent of it. I troubleshoot, remove, replace and test. If we don't have the part in stock it is not up to me to order replacements or suggest alternatives.

The cap that is bulging does not have a plastic top to it. It is metal and has the scored "+" on top of it for venting purposes. The scored metal top is what is bulging and it is not a cover. Believe me, I tested a board with one of those caps unknowingly installed backwards and I was hit in the arm with that black plastic cover when it blew so I know what the covers look like.

I'll move this over to the TV section although I really don't need help troubleshooting- I've made up my mind to replace the capacitors and just want to make sure I am getting the correct alternatives. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by thor2015 View Post
            If we don't have the part in stock it is not up to me to order replacements or suggest alternatives.

Thanks.
            So why are you asking?

No need to move it - you could ask your parts ordering department what would be the best alternatives.
            Last edited by selldoor; 11-24-2012, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Because we do not manufacture or repair TV's at work. I work testing and repairing circuit boards for the oilfield and chemical research industries. The TV is a personal project that I undertook for a friend. I was simply giving some background as to what I do so that maybe some of the Q and A can be avoided.

Again, I am not asking if the capacitors are or are not bad. I simply want to know what can be safely and dependably put in their place given the specs I posted.

Comment

Originally posted by thor2015 View Post
                First of all, I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

I am repairing a flat screen TV suffering from a bad capacitor issue. However I am having some difficulty finding replacement capacitors.

The original capacitors are Nichicon and are on the power supply board. The failed capacitor is a 200 volt 820 uF GG series with a package dimension of 30mm dia. x 25mm tall. I would like to replace the 2 other capacitors, one being another 200 volt 820 uF and the 3rd being a 200 volt 470 uF with a package dimension of 25mm x 25mm series GN. They are all snap-in style capacitors. I am unable to locate either of the GG or GN series in the values I need. I found similar Nichicon capacitors with the right voltage and capacitance ratings and the same package dimensions but they are a different series. I was able to find the rated ripple on the Nichicon data sheet to make sure I am getting the same or higher but where I am stuck is trying to locate the ESR value on any of the Nichicon data sheets. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
                GG and GN series are general purpose, SO ESR will not be listed in data sheets. As long as they physically fit in the space available and have the same or higher ripple current and voltage ratings, any replacement will work. Upping the ripple rating should theoretically give longer life than the originals.

For the 820uF GG, all of these will fit, and have higher ripple ratings:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksea...y=0&PV1500=289

For the 470uF GN, all of these will fit, and have higher ripple ratings:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksea...273&PV1500=289

Comment

Thank you, LLLlllou. That is exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate the help!

Comment

Working...
                  X