This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: List of Bad Cap Manufacturers

Miacon's found blown in a Yulen power supply.

Comment

Cheng is not that Chang
      Cheng is Cheng Tung Industrial Co in Tiawain.
      Sheng Chang Technology Co are not "Chang" caps.
      Sheng Chang Technology was formed in 2002.

The company that makes caps marked "Chang" has been around since 1987.
      Chang caps are from Changzhou Huawei Electronics Co in China.
      http://en.huaweiec.cn/Corporation/in...74&dInfoId=123
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

I'm glad they made that easy to figure out.

The capacitors aren't very good, anyway. The ones I have all swelled up.

Comment

Wasn't that easy to figure out.
          I figured it out a long time ago when I came across some Chang caps.
          I still have the links on file.
          Maybe some day they'll actually publish a data sheet. - - nah...
          -

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Rubson caps in a sony Xplode car amp (in cursive like Rubycon,)

AKA "Petofile" caps. He he.

Comment

Originally posted by Doramius
              I recently just pulled apart a few different items and have been noticing "chang" as a manufacturer of capacitors. I found it in a noname PSU, and on some small consumer routers. They're crap, as I frequently find them swelled. But I haven't found any threads about these caps. I had a bunch of Samsung capacitors in that size. Didn't have any Ruby's in that size, or I would have used those.

This is about all I could find on chang. http://www.plasticfilmcapacitors.com/about.html Looks like it's a sister company of cheng. I'm also wondering why they bothered to create a sister company with a different name. Or about as different as you can get without changing the name.
              I've found Chang, Cheng and ChengX caps from a Logitech X-230 speaker set amplifier board. Good to know about their quality, better swap them out soon.

Comment

Just in case the point about duff Nichicons needs to be driven home, here are some nasty 1800uFs I successfully replaced on my old Dell Precision 650.

Egg all over their faces - ick.
                Attached Files

Comment

Your date code is week 50 in 2002.
                  HN and HM from 2001-2004 are known to have a manufacturing defect.

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                    Your date code is week 50 in 2002.
                    HN and HM from 2001-2004 are known to have a manufacturing defect.
                    Thanks for the info - much appreciated. I assume you're saying this is a temporary thing rather than a permanent curse on Nichicon. Nevertheless I also replaced the other Nichis on the mobo. This was a year ago now, but if I can find them I'll check their codes too.

I've already learned a lot reading the posts on this excellent forum. The built in GBit NIC used to crash this machine, so I put in a PCI NIC. Plus the on-board sound hardware is noisy and I replaced that too - eating up two of the three PCI slots. I've been wondering if sick electrolytics might be responsible for these problems. Maybe the PSU has some of the magic exploding electrolyte and is putting out noisy power.

I'm shortly planning to give the machine to a friend's kid, and it would be nice to sort these things out.

Comment

Only the HN and HM series' were affected and only from 2001-2004.
                      Exact dates aren't known and some suspect 2005 too but I've only seen one report involving 2005 HM/HN caps so I suspect that was more likely a PSU or heat issue.
                      2005 and newer HM/HN should be fine.

Chemicon KZG are known to not like heat and will fail without bloating like OST caps do.
                      Chemicon KZJ use the same electrolyte and -may- have the same problem.
                      KZJ aren't so common and so not enough reports to say either way.

Those are the only Japaneses caps I know of that have issues.

Sick electrolytics can cause about any problem you can think of because they affect the quality of the power to the rest of the electronics. If power is flat wrong, jumping around, or has too much noise in it then things aren't going to work or will be erratic.
                      - It can LOOK like some other problem.
                      For instance if you have too much noise in the power to a drive controller chip then transfers to/from the drive may lose data. The hard drive will probably get blamed.
                      - Happens a lot with RAM too. Not passing memtest86+ may be because the power to the RAM has too much noise in it. If the RAM works in a different mobo with a different PSU then start looking at caps.

Remarks like: "I recapped my board and the [sound or USB or LAN] that didn't work since new started working!" are fairly common.
                      - Overclockers also tend to get more overclock without going unstable after a recap.

Definitely check out the PSU before you pass it on!
                      -MANY- PSUs have junk inside.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Thanks so much for the detailed information. You've changed my thinking from nagging worry into definite motivation - enough to make me go through the tedium of stripping this machine down again.

Very kind of you to take the trouble, and I'm most grateful.

Comment

Right! Armed with a fresh paranoia about fizzed-out caps, I noticed a 3Com hub I had replaced years ago after it started signalling permanent collisions. It had been sitting in my junk pile ever since, and I decided to take a look inside

I banished a pair of bloated-looking 1500uF Gloria caps, and the box works like a charm again!

That's another one I owe you, PCBonez.

Comment

You see! - It's like gettin' free stuff sometimes.
                            You wrote-off that hub when you tossed it in the junk pile.
                            Now, for the cost of two caps you have a hub!

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Maybe, Xunda, found some bloated on a PSU of an Medion LCD internal Powersupply.
                              Caps are black, no data code.

Comment

sounds like a crap brand to me.
                                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

OST is still bad!

Comment

What model is that? I had some small, blue, 680uF 4v OST caps fail (slight bulging, rubber seals pushed out) on an MSI 945P Neo3. It also had several cheapo teapo caps 100uF 6.3v scattered throughout it which were bulging and leaking.
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Oops, I meant 1000uF for the teapos
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

LTEC = Luminous Town Electric Company. [China]
                                        They are bad.
                                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...42&postcount=2

I dunno how but this post went into the wrong thread..
                                        ???

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Definitely add Xunda to the bad cap list. I just found 6 470/25V TM's and 1 220/25V all popped in a Proview PL926Wbi monitor. I'm going to recap the entire monitor. They're on the logic board and power supply.
                                          Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Working...
                                          X