In Praise of Linux Ghost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Praise of Linux Ghost

Just a note to recommend Linux Ghost to ALL computer users. You can download it without cost from Source Forge. You burn an ISO file to CD or DVD, using your burning software of choice. Change your bios settings to point to your CD Drive as the first bootable device. You don't need to know any Linux to use this program! It's easy to use. It's a GUI.

If you are already a Linux user, you can use Imagewriter to create a USB stick instead of a CD.

Connect the harddrive you want to clone to. Put the CD in your optical drive and boot up.

I select option G41 without parms. I select RAW menu option which woll copy every byte from the source drive to the target drive. After specifying your source and target drives, you select Click 'N Clone and the program replicates your drive.

Obviosly, you need to correctly identify which drive is the source, and which is the target! You should replicate to a drive of the same size or larger
    for obvious reasons! So the target drive is the larger driveI

I use this program once a month to back up my wifes Windows computer.

I have been using the program to create multiple SCSI drives that I can use on my fleet of old computers.

This works great with Linux Mint. It takes about 15 minutes to duplicate a drive.
    That way I don't have to sit through a separate install for each machine.
    Works for IDE, SCSI and SATA drives.

As an added bonus, I had a 73GB drive that somehow had a messed up partition and would only see 4GB! Once I cloned a good image to this Drive, I could see the entire 73GB again!
Working...
X