replace capacitor with Aluminum Organic Polymer Capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replace capacitor with Aluminum Organic Polymer Capacitors

Hello. I work a company that uses single board computers as wireless radios to provide internet service. The particular board we use are routerboards, made by mikrotik. They work well but unfortunately they are plagued with bad capacitors. We have some 50-60 that all have blown caps. We've replace the bad caps on some 10 or so boards, and have had very good success rate. Upon more research, We've decided to replace the remaining caps with not with aluminium electrolytic capacitors, but rather aluminum organic polymer capacitors. Has anyone done this before? I've read some where the because the organic polymer caps have a lower esr, that it is best to lower the capacitance by about half. The Main reason we want to go with organic polymer is because it is more stable of a wide temperature range, and living in minnesota, we see -40, as well as 100 degrees in the summer. I figured I'd ask here since you guys seem to know a great deal. the caps are we replacing are su'scon sj series cap. The added price isn't really an issue as years of reliable service is worth more than 3 dollars.

Re: replace capacitor with Aluminum Organic Polymer Capacitors

post pics.
    i can probably suggest what to use where.
    i tend to develop polymods for industrial stuff.
    one in hand would be best but its something i can usually do with some good pics.

Comment

The caps that we are replacing are su'scon sj series caps. 560uf. the data sheet for them is available here http://www.su-scon.com.tw/en/product...r-105C/SJ.html. The data sheet makes them sound great, but they are junk, like I said we have already removed over 100 of them. The poly ones we are looking at using are these. but I don't know if they are a good replacement for the originals or not. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...R%252bJnGyM%3d. would these be a good replacement?

Comment

Polymer capacitors will still have about 2000-4000h of life in them, most of the cheaper ones are like that.
        Seems like long life is important, especially if you say they work at extreme temperatures.

I'd rather go for the Panasonic FR series of electrolytics, depending on can size they have up to 10k hours of life - they're basically same esr and ripple as FM but with different can sizes and better life.

There's no 560uF with a voltage rating less than 25v, if you need less I think you'd be safe replacing it with 470uF or 680uF of whatever voltage you need.

Comment

Working...
        X