X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple to begin to move Mac production back to U.S.A

Yes, you heard correctly. From the BBC:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20626376

I don't think much more needs to be said. Apple are moving up in my estimations.

Re: Apple to begin to move Mac production back to U.S.A

I read that earlier. Prices will go up, but IMO, I'd pay it to not fund china.

Salute Apple.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

I think it's absurd. I agree with US manufacturers punishing beauracracy by moving manufacturing to China. I don't like it, but I see the necessity of it.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

yeah just means more people will keep or switch to IBM compat
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Well, I dunno how it works elsewhere, but Dell used to make laptops for Europe in Ireland (as long as they were built to order.) They moved production to Poland but that's better than China. Do Dell make computers in the US?
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
            Do Dell make computers in the US?
            Yes, Although not the consumer grade models. All the computers Dell sells to the US government are assembled in the USA (it's in the contract), many state governments also buy computers from Dell and have the same terms, and many of their business models are still assembled in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
              I think it's absurd. I agree with US manufacturers punishing beauracracy by moving manufacturing to China. I don't like it, but I see the necessity of it.
              Beaucracy, not really. Low labor costs and no/lax safety laws? You bet.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I'm actually liking this idea of Apple moving back to the US of A. I haven't seen an American built computer... ever. I have a Made in Japan Sony Vaio, but that's not the USA!
                Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

A lot depends on what "assembled" means. Don't mean to go Clintonian, but back in 2000 - not that long ago! - Apple did some assembly in Elk Grove, CA (just south of Sacramento) and Ireland (and still do, at least in Elk Grove). They took 90+% complete Macs built in Asia (with Asia-built cases, MBs, drives and P/Ss), did some final configuration (updates, customization), and then shipped to stores. So, where were those Macs assembled?

And BTW, the workers who did that final configuration work? They were not Apple employees (not the ones in Elk Grove, at least). They were contractors brought in for a couple of weeks to complete a batch of Macs, then released for several weeks, then brought in for a couple of weeks ... (this was/is legal, and the contractors chose to put up with it, I'm just pointing out how it was done; how much such contract workers would care about quality is an interesting question). At least that was the way it was in 2000 when I did some work in Elk Grove for one of Apple's suppliers.

Around that same time I know Dell was doing some actual assembly of computers - installing P/S, memory and drives (maybe MBs) - in TX. Whether that is still the case, I don't know. I think that in the past 10-15 years Dell and others have sent phone tech support to India and had to bring some of it back to the US (quality and possibly employee loyalty issues).

My deciduo-phobia aside, Apple sells products with a premium quality and support image at a premium price. Some of Apple's image is well-deserved earned and maintained over several decades. IF Apple can get good quality at a reasonable cost (through mechanization and selection of location), it might prove to be both customer price and revenue neutral; depending on how the move plays into Apple's image, it could result in increased market share and profits from computers.

BTW - getting in touch with my semi-geezer side - there was a time when Apple built its computers in Silicon Valley, then moved assembly to the East (SF) Bay (Fremont or Newark), then moved the East Bay plant equipment (and assembly) to Elk Grove, and finally took everything except final configuration to Asia. The same thing has happened with P/Ss (there used to be several significant US-based P/S companies; mergers and foreign competition has reduced that number to, AFAIK, 1 or 2 with broad product lines) and disk drives. Love it or hate it, the market place for electronics is most of the entire world, and if US companies are not price competitive they are forced to choose between seeking lower production costs (i.e. "off-shoring"), making less price-sensitive premium/specialty products (e.g. the US electrolytic capacitor company Cornell-Dubilier), or being driven out of business (when was the last time you saw a brand new Atari, Cromemco or Commodore computer on a retail store's shelves?).
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Does this mean we'll need to install fencing around the roof so we don't jump off?
                    sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                      A lot depends on what "assembled" means. Don't mean to go Clintonian, but back in 2000 - not that long ago! - Apple did some assembly in Elk Grove, CA (just south of Sacramento) and Ireland (and still do, at least in Elk Grove). They took 90+% complete Macs built in Asia (with Asia-built cases, MBs, drives and P/Ss), did some final configuration (updates, customization), and then shipped to stores. So, where were those Macs assembled?
                      There have even been car factories that built kits, usually in countries that insisted on some local content before they'd allow the cars to be sold there.

I wonder if Apple is getting some local tax break or subsidy.

Intel makes 75% of its investments in the US, and a lot of their CPUs labelled as being made in foreign countries are actually made in the US, right next to Intel's wheat fields.
                      Last edited by larrymoencurly; 12-14-2012, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X