X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 740B plus won´t start

Hello,

Got two of these that won´t power up.
    PSU is IP-35155A, inverter transformer is TM-0917.

First one got bad caps in the 5V line C109 and C110 ( two 1000 uF x 10V, Samwha XC ) . Swapped them and the one 820 uF x 25V near them. ( C113 , also Samwha XC ).

Well, now the psu gives correct voltages in the CN2 connector, with and without the logic board connected.

Then the other : none of the caps were bulged. Just to be sure, I swapped most of the caps ( C190 and C110 , 1000uF x 10V, C113, C112 and C316, 820uF x 25V ). All were Samwha XC.

Connecting just the psu gets the voltages in the CN2 connector ok. Starting it up with the logic board connected gives just about 1V in the 5V line, and 3.something in the 15V line.

Have swapped C107 ( 47uF x 50V SamYoung LXV) and the controller ( FSDM0465R ) to no avail. Have also tried with both logic boards, it made no difference.

Now for the interesting part :

If I connect just the IP board, turn it on, measure the voltages to see it is working, turn it off. Wait for the big cap to discharge, then connect the logic board and turn the thing on, it will not start ( Voltages between pin 2 - 3 of the D0465 stay around 9.7 - 10.3V ) . Output voltages in 1V for 5V and 3.2 for 15V.

But if I connect the logic board before the big cap has time to discharge fully, and turn power again fast, the smps will start, voltage between pin 2-3 will be around 12.4V, and output voltages are ok ( 5.1V and 14.7 - 14.9V ) .

As I have the two boards , and one seem to work, I´ve tried :

Swapping the NTC TH101 ( 5 ohms, SCK-053 ). No difference.
    Swapping the big cap ( Samwha WL 100uF x 400V ) . No difference. By the way, in the other board it is a SamYoung KMF 100uF x 400V.

Any suggestion of other things to troubleshoot ?
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung 740B plus won´t start

Sorry lost me ( easy done) What is an IP board? Can you recap - when you say one seems to work, either it does or it doesnt. If you have one set of boards that work then
    great - you will have something to compare.

Get the Power supply that doesnt work and swap it for the board that does work then
    give us a commentary from plug in to power on to stable fault. What does the power led do what does the panel do and are there any noises.

EDIT - just read it again - you dont have set that works - do you.

It will be a lot simpler if you decide which pair of boards you think are the best and JUST
    work on them for a start otherwise it is too complicated as we will not be able to remember
    what has been done on which board.
    Last edited by selldoor; 08-22-2012, 08:42 AM.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hi, IP is the code of the psu+inverter board ( IP-35155A ) .

I mean it works with respect to the voltages ( the boards are with me at work, and the lcd panel is at home, so will only know if it shows image tonight ) . Before recapping, it would not give correct voltages when connected to the logic board.

The situation now : I have one PSU board that powers up ok, with or without the logic board connected. This is the one I consider the best then. Will test it with the lcd panel later.

And the other board will only start up ok if connected to power by itself, then disconnect power and reconnect logic board + power fast enough for the primary cap not to discharge. Then it can start and gives ok voltages.

Comment

Ok probably best to wait and see
        Just to get it out of the way,whilst you indicate the inverter transformers are TM-0917 you do not say if you have tested them. Can you test the secondary windings- meter on ohms 2000 test pins 5>6 7>8 and post results as follows

pins 5>6 Ohms xxxx
        Pins 7>8 Ohms xxxx
        Attached Files
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Yeah, 1030 ohms one, 1032 ohms the other.

Comment

Originally posted by rogfanther View Post
            Any suggestion of other things to troubleshoot ?
            Does the power LED come on at all with the "good" PSU board?

If not, that suggests your problem lies with the main/logic board.

There should be some voltage regulators on that board. See if they are all within spec. A photo of it would help also.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Here are the photos of the main/logic board.

Made a slight detour when going to lunch and went home. The good PSU board, along with what I will call the goog Main board, work with the panel. Power LED on, message of Analog / Digital on the screen. Disappear with vga cable connected. Power button works to turn the display on and off. This psu still has a little hiss, that I assume is caused by the caps I didn´t swap yet. When my order arrives ,will recap it all with Panasonic FM.

The regulators in both main boards are within spec ( 1117-18 gives 1.82, 1117-33 gives 3.42 ).

Don´t know if I explained ok : the "phenomenon" is that, if I plug the bad PSU board with the main board, and turn on power, it seems not able to start, and Vcc to the pwm chip stays lower than the minimum.

But if I connect just the bad psu board, turn on the power, after about 2 seconds it will stabilize power . Then if, while the main cap is istill charged, I turn off the power, connect the main board, and turn power again, the psu will start and stabilize the outputs. Vcc in the pwm will be ok, as also the voltages in the main board regulators.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by rogfanther; 08-22-2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

3.3V is more than 2% off, it is off by 3.6%.
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Just measured them again. 1.81V and 3.32V. I don´t believe the problem to be in the main board, because it happens with both of them connected to the "bad" psu. Both main boards in the "good" psu give correct readings.
                  I have changed a zener ( 47V ) and another diode ( 1N4007 ) , but no difference was made.

Comment

Don´t know if I explained ok : the "phenomenon" is that, if I plug the bad PSU board with the main board, and turn on power, it seems not able to start, and Vcc to the pwm chip stays lower than the minimum.
                    C107 is your startup cap. On the bad PSU, measure the DC voltage across it with the big cap charged and uncharged states.

But if I connect just the bad psu board, turn on the power, after about 2 seconds it will stabilize power . Then if, while the main cap is istill charged, I turn off the power, connect the main board, and turn power again, the psu will start and stabilize the outputs. Vcc in the pwm will be ok, as also the voltages in the main board regulators.
                    Unplug lcd monitor. Wait until big cap is fully discharged. Now hookup multimeter aligator clips to the big cap to measure DC voltage. Now hit power switch. What is voltage across the big cap?
                    Last edited by retiredcaps; 08-22-2012, 03:29 PM.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

On both PSUs, with the main board disconnected, the voltage in the cap stabilizes at 10.9-11V.

With the main board connected, in the good PSU the voltage is 12.7V.
                      With the main board connected to the bad PSU ( big cap uncharged ) , the voltage fluctuates betwen 9.3 - 10.4V.
                      With the main board connected to the bad PSU after the big cap has had time to charge alone, the voltage stabilizes at 12.4V

With the main board connected, the big cap measures 175.2V
                      With the main board disconnected, the big cap measures 175.2 V
                      With the main board reconnected before the big cap has time to recharge, it measures 174.3 V

Voltage measured in the outlet is 127.3 VAC

Comment

With the main board connected to the bad PSU ( big cap uncharged ) , the voltage fluctuates betwen 9.3 - 10.4V.
                        Try replacing C107 on the bad PSU and retest. Little caps can often be bad without any signs of physical bloating.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have already replaced it, after seeing it mentioned in a bunch of threads here. Will try to find another of the same value ( 47 uF x 50V ) tomorrow for a new try. I had searched for one with low esr, but from the datasheet it seems the original one would be considerably high ( 0.45 ohms ) . Will try to borrow a suitable one from one of the PSUs around here or, last chance, try swapping with the cap from the good, working board.

Comment

I have already replaced it, after seeing it mentioned in a bunch of threads here.
                            Sorry, when 2 monitors are involved, even if they are the same, it is still hard for us to straight what was done to what. If you already changed it, leave it alone for now.

Check all the diodes. Namely, ZD101, D102, ZD102, D103, D104, D105, D106, D107, and D108. Report all your readings.
                            Last edited by retiredcaps; 08-22-2012, 04:07 PM.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Code:

good PSU    bad PSU
                              ZD101   1940 / 599	1947 / 586
                               D102   open / 473	open / 470
                              ZD102   1793 / 515	1794 / 515
                               D103	  793 / 515	1793 / 515
                               D104	 1739 / 142	1741 / 145
                               D105	     NOT POPULATED
                               D106	 1740 / 142	1746 / 142
                               D107   800 / 243   757 / 243
                               D108	  801 / 243	 758 / 243
                              Measured with all connected to the boards.

I will buy the replacements for ZD101, ZD102 and D102 / D103, and replace them just in case. Then I will dessolder the secondary diodes and take new measurements.

Comment

Whoa - not sure you need all those replacements why do you think zd 102 is bad?
                                reading is virtually identical?
                                Perhaps retest lifting one leg

Comment

I don´t mean to replace all of them ( well, not yet anyway ) .
                                  Just imagining that maybe one of those zeners is failing when under stress. I believe I have some in my parts box.

Board has a small cap, 1 uF x 50V, between ground and TL431, that I haven´t replace yet. Could it be the culprit ?

Comment

Well, lifted one leg from a diode in each pair. Measures still the same between them, Will search for that 1uF cap and try it.

Comment

I will buy the replacements for ZD101, ZD102 and D102 / D103, and replace them just in case.
                                      As selldoor mentioned, you don't have to replace them as they all test good assuming D103 is really 1793 and not 793 (typo).
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Oh, it is 1973. I must have deleted the "1" when trying to align correctly the columns.

The idea of replacing them was in case they were failing under load...

Swapped the 1uF 50V cap and same symptons remain.

Interesting point :
                                        Decided to ressolder all the secondary and pwm joints in case of a hidden cold solder joint. After that ( with the board still a little warm ) when powering it up, voltages were almost ok ( 5V was 4V, 15V was 12V ) . Thinking it was a cold joint , I let it cool during lunch time, and tried again. Back to not functioning.

Then tried heating the secondary caps with hot air. No difference.
                                        Tried to ressolder the pwm section joints, in case there was a really stubborn one. Power it up, almost right voltages ( 4V and 12V ) .

Thinking about what I could be heating that was making a difference, I considered the optocoupler was something I had not replaced. So I made the test : power the boards up. Voltages too low ( 1V in the 5V line, 3.2V in the 15V line ) . Then I hold the solderin iron near the optocoupler while measuring voltages. After a little while, they climbed up to the correct values.

Now, is it more probable to be just the optocoupler, or some other part would be too weak to make it work, and when I heat the opto it somehow conducts easier ?

Comment

Working...
                                        X