Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung SyncMaster 216BW Vertical Lines

Hey guys,

So I was walking home today and i came across a perfectly good looking SyncMaster 216BW that someone was throwing away, I took it with me, tested it and as expected didn't work (Blinking LED, Black screen).

I opened it up and replaced the 6 bulging CapXon capacitors with Nichicon capacitors with the exact same capacitance rating and voltage (5x 820uF 25V, 1x 330uF 25V) on the PSU. I put it back together, and the monitor worked.

The problem is that there are vertical lines across the monitor. The lines are really faded (very transparent), thin, and many in number (Virtually cover most of the screen). It's easy to see them in most darker colors (grey, blue, violet), but almost impossible to see them in White & Black. The lines go over the OCD aswell, so i know its not a video card fault.

It's not THAT bad, but it could get annoying while watching videos, or anything that's not still framed. Any ideas where they're from, or how to fix them?

Oh also, If I have the monitor running for a while (10-20 minutes), it begins to make high pitched noises in no particular pattern.

I have reseated the ribbon cable that connects the Logic board to the LCD panel many times with no luck, I even checked the continuity of the ribbon cable pin by pin with no negative results.

Here are the pictures I have taken:

Note that, it's very hard to see the lines on camera, and it's much easier to see them in person.

This first one shows a paint window with a solid grey fill on the monitor with the vertical lines:

Code:
    http://i54.tinypic.com/vwstht.jpg
    This second one shows a comparison side by side of my LG monitor (left) with the bad Samsung monitor (right) with the same solid grey paint window:

Code:
    http://i51.tinypic.com/1zt4z6.jpg
    Also, sorry about the change in elevation between the monitors, I didn't have enough room on my desk..

Thanks!

Re: Samsung SyncMaster 216BW Vertical Lines

For a number of reasons, many of us will not attempt to view pictures hosted offsite. Attach them using 'Manage Attachments' - below the text entry area.

Lines such as you describe are usually caused by a defective connection to the glass LCD panel, and are unrepairable.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

This is a duplicate post as in the following thread:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...513#post179513

Comment

I apologize for the off-site pictures, I can't seem to find the edit button anymore, can someone tell me where it is?

Thanks

Edit: It seems like I can edit only newer posts, Is this normal?

Comment

I recently was given a Samsung 223BW Production date: July 2007 for assessment. It had the dreaded blinking blue power button light was and no video when connected to a working machine. I replaced the C111, 112, 114, 316, & 317 820uF 25V and C113 330uF 25V caps with my favorite Panasonics. Some caps were visibly leaking. I have done many motherboards and power supplies over the years as well as some LCDs. I noticed this post had the exact post-repair symptom (I looked at the pics that were referenced in the original post) as the monitor I just repaired. I know this monitor didn't have this symptom prior to repair because the user only complained that the display just went out one day and the blue power light was blinking. I see the mention of the LCD panel ribbon issue and haven't checked that yet though I wanted to mention that later received a Model 2232BW Production date: July 2007 (sister model without VESA mount) for the same blinking power switch symptom. I had the caps and decided to repair it. This model needs a plastic "bone" tool or automotive door panel removal tools or maybe even a plastic knife from a fast food restaurant to get it apart. The internal locks are all around the bezel and require a little more finesse to pop without breaking. After separating the bezel I used my Sharpie marker to mark the location and color of the CFL connectors and the front panel button array before separating the power supply/inverter shell. Noted caps were replaced (same board as other model) and unit was reassembled and tested. The display was perfect like the first day it was purchased. I'm just posting this message to get some fresh eyes on it or have some of you think back if you have seen the issue of the original poster regarding thin washed out vertical lines across the whole screen after a repair. I don't get how one screen has this issue while a similar model of the same production batch does not. Just trying to see if there is something else besides the LCD panel ribbon that can cause this issue before I pop the bezel back open. I was noticing on the latter model how the solder joints don't look as nice and flowed from the factory as motherboards or other electronics do to me. Just wondering about cold solder joints causing such odd behavior. I read a posting elsewhere on the net that the use of lead-free solder these days is wreaking havoc because it is not as stable in the high temperatures these components are many times subjected to. And therefore cold solder joints or cracked joints are more prevalent. Any validity to this claim from the Master Moderators that do repairs for a living? I will get my magnifier headset on and see if I can find anything wrong with the solder joints.

I was told on an old 15" Syncmaster that had the "No video signal" issue when connected to a machine to solder a component across two points and it would fix it. I did and it worked. Though maybe I would find that someone would say that another component on the power board or one on the inverter board was needing an inspection or testing and then if replaced the lines would go away. I know when the caps go bad for too long that there is a strain put on the other components down range and they could ultimately be failing. Please take another look at the original post, the pics (the links are safe and active), and what I have posted here about my two similar models with dissimilar results and maybe point me in the right direction. I have always enjoyed learning from this site and helping others on there that have posted to my threads. Thanks in advance.

Comment

There is too much to read here and not enough pictures. Paragraphs would have helped. Personally I cant believe many people will ever reach the end of your post let alone extract the question, whatever it was?

Also as there are many threads on 223BW and even a few on the 2232BW
            other than a vague connection to the same symtom why post in the 216BW thread?
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

PlainBilll i know you are a real expert but i think that the possibility of a "flat cable" fault is not high, doesn't the high pitching noise tells you something? It tells me nothing precise but a strange coincidence with the fault, i also think that if a stripe connection fails the columns become totally bad not partial. To Nima i tell you: are the lines fixed or are variable? I think is the first case... so why don't you try to use cooling/warming methods on some of the major componets on tcon board to try to find out what degrades the output or makes earlier the noise?

Comment

Davi.p this thread has been quiet for a long time...

For what it's worth, people forget there are capacitors on the T-CON board; they replace Power PCB caps but not T-CON ones.

The Samsung 216,226 etc. have an instability in their SMPS when in sleep mode, they usually squeal as the blue LED blinks.

Comment

Working...
                X