Need help with my XBOX powersupply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with my XBOX powersupply

i need help to fix ang replace some parts on my xbox psu because it was plug into a 220volts and its only 110volts this is not the first time it happen its the fourth time now. I have already replace the number 1 and four because thats the part that has been damage because ive done that the 2nd time when i replce that the psu works fine. but now after i have replace the 1 and 4 the psu just got smoke when i plug it. i think its on the number 2 and 5 that got smoke i think sumthing had burned. Pls. anyone could help me here.

can i use this fuse for my xbox because the original fuse of my xbox is like this one which is color brown but this one is black
    http://www.rsphilippines.com/cgi-bin...r=avl:ph<br />
    can anyone determine the numbers below whats the name of the parts.

Re: Need help with my XBOX powersupply

I would suggest to replace 2 (its a simple rectifier bridge), if that is not helping i thing either the transistor has let the magic smoke out.

Any way, your PSu is shorted somewhere, just desolder pice of pice and measure if it is shorted and you will soon get the bugger.

For some reason, you can omit 5, 1, 4 (as you changed it alredy) 9, may be 3&7 and 8 if rated voltage is above 400v

You fore shure should check or replace 2, the bigger caps, the Transistor on the heatsink.

Comment

ok gonzo0815 ill try that desoldering all the pieces and also what do you call the number 2 i dont know the name of it. im a newbie in this kind of stuff sorry.
      Last edited by rayken; 02-13-2007, 12:12 AM.

Comment

The corect name is bridge rectifier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge

It is cheap & simple, just take it to your local partsshop and you will get, a replacement.
        Usually there is a type code printed on it, thus it is easy to buy it.

Comment

careful working with psu too, ALL those parts are deadly including heatsinks, don't go near it with power on, discharge fully before touching when disconnected from mains, prefeably don't touch it
          Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

1 - Input fuse
            2 & 5 - Input differential mode inductor
            3 & 4 - The reference designators suggest that these are Metal Oxide Varistors, which protect against line voltage surges (prime suspects for your problem, BTW)
            6 - X capacitor (across the AC Line)
            7 - Y capacitors (Line to Ground)
            8 - Thermistor (reduces input surge current when P/S is first plugged in)
            9 - Input common mode inductor

Are those Taicon brand input caps (between #9 and the heatsink)? What series? What brand and series are the output caps (to the right, outside of the pic)? I'm curious what Delta (usually makes good P/Ss) is using.
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Hm ok, no. 4 could be many things, i assumed they`r ceramic high voltage caps. As those are probably rated for a mutch higher voltage, i have choosen they`r most probably not defekt ...
              No. 3 is already replaced, as stated by rayken, thus i think thaose are the varistor, wich are probably rated for an mutch lower voltage.

Comment

@gonzo0815
                yes ive already replace varistor its the new one, right now i will look for the diode and i hope this will fix it also ive notice on no.8 it has a crack on it....
                @PeteS in CA
                thank you very much for the infos. can i use the fuse on the link for the replacement?

Comment

@Fizzycapola

thanks sir for the info. im a newbie in this stuff.

Comment

The rating for the fuse is marked on the PCB. The reference designators for items 3 and 4 appear to be Z1 and Z2, which I interpreted to mean that they are MOVs.
                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

what is MOVs sir? im not familliar with it.

Comment

ok ill olready now the mov hehehe valaistor hahahhaha im such a noob.

Comment

never mind

Comment

Check each part, no need to just randomly replace many of them.

The MOV does not need replaced to get this working, it is only a preventative safeguard device. Nor do the ceramic caps.

Fuse - is it failed, open circuit or not? If not, no need to replace.

Bridge rectifer (diodes) - I doubt it's the problem, they're practically always using parts rated for 400V or more in this packaging style. It can be checked by multimeter though you can probably find the spec sheet from the markings on it. (or we could if you post 'em).

Inductors - check continuity, not likely the problem.

If you are V E R Y C A R E F U L , you could in theory take out a part or two to break the circuit and measure voltage up to that point while applying 110VAC to it. Most important would be to be very aware of what you're doing, this is dangerous if you make a mistake. However, since this is a relatively simple switcher and not so many suspect parts, it is better (safer) to just check the few remaining individual parts without powering up whole supply out like this.

My bet is on the thermistor since it looks cracked, "IF" it measures open on a multimeter (Ohm scale), then the switching transistor on that first heatsink. After pulling it out of the circuit you can see what it is, I'd imagine an ordinary BJT which can be checked as described here.

How long was it live while plugged into 220V?
                            Last edited by 999999999; 02-14-2007, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Hi all

Yeah you got some good advice given to you by those who know these SMPSU very very well.

As above be very careful!

You a working on something that is Directly connect to your mains system.
                              This can be deadly

Following the above you should get it going.

If you want to know more on how they work ...see below

Since you say you don't know much and we all got to start somewhere,
                              here are a few links to try and help you understand the nature of the beast you are working on.

It does help if you at lest know basic electronics with these links

There is the FAQ's on this site.
                              Here badcaps faq started by PeteS

suggest you start here

Smpsu site

Heaps of info on this site
                              but mainly directed as those that know electronics

computer smpsu explained

This will give you an idea of the basic bits and pieces as outline by PeteS in reply to your question.

Wiki on smpsu

Bit heavy going

repair faq SCI Electronics

still heavy going.

last two really do assume you know electronics

Hope this helps you and good luck with it

Cheers
                              You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

ok everyone thanks for the big help and infos i know some basic electronic just a basic thing. I will do this on sunday and put a feedback i hope i could done this right hehehe but anyways thanks ive learn a lot here.

Comment

Working...
                                X