Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: unfusing

Originally posted by ceramic
    well, these are actually work lcd monitors and we usually send them to a recycling company when they aren't working.
    That is another good alternative for trashing them. Just don't send them to the landfills
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

We use a picofuse with short legs bent and not touching everything else but for two points of solder or a ICP Nxx fuse and solder to the old, open fuse right on the circuit board. Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
        We use a picofuse with short legs bent and not touching everything else but for two points of solder or a ICP Nxx fuse and solder to the old, open fuse right on the circuit board. Cheers, Wizard
        You mean soldering the good, new one on top of the old, open one, to avoid messing the nearby components with the heat applied directly to the board? Never crossed my mind. Basically, it is like bridging with solder, with the protection still in place, right?
        There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
        • Windows 10 Pro x64
        • GeForce GT1050

Comment

I considered that the last time I had to do it. However I couldn't locate the proper picofuse OR the smd fuse at Digi-Key and Mouser had the exact part in stock, so I went that way.

Removing the old part isn't that hard - it just takes a hotter soldering iron. Still, this is definitely a case where sticking just about any fuse with the same rating and speed is acceptable.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Yes. Once fuse blow, it's simply open. Put new fuse parallel with old, now a fuse.

Especially in hard to work in spots and I don't see a problem with this and makes tremedous easier time of it.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Yes. Once fuse blow, it's simply open. Put new fuse parallel with old, now a fuse.

Especially in hard to work in spots and I don't see a problem with this and makes tremedous easier time of it.

Cheers, Wizard
              Good one, Wizard. These are things that once said result very obvious, but you would not notice them unless someone tells you....
              Attached Files
              • Windows 10 Pro x64
              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

ROFL!

Thanks!

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
                  SMT fuses are a little more tricky than snapping a new fuse into a fuse holder. It's pretty easy with a little practice.

Remove the bad fuse, clean as much of the solder off the lands as possible. Drop the fuse in place and have something handy to hold it down. I suggest using a 25 watt iron with a small tip. Put a small drop of solder on the tip, hold the fuse in place, and apply the tip of the iron to the land until the solder flows onto the end of the fuse. Let the solder cool and repeat on the other end.

As an alternative, use solder paste. Again, heat the land, not the fuse.

PlainBill

Where can I get these fuse holders, the ones I've seen online are kinda huge. thanks a lot

Comment

Old thread I know.. But I have a bad 3a 125v sm fuse (f1) on my tcon board.. All I have in this crappy town is Ratshack and they dont have this fuse.. The dork working told me to jump it with a resistor.. can this be done?

Comment

Yes it can be done - should it be done - NO!.

For test purposes rig any sort of 3 a fuse (glass one on a fuse holder or even a car fuse) but make sure it is secure and well insulated- last time I saw this suggested it wasnt soldered securely and fell off onto the board causing unknown damage.
                      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Thank selldoor.. I have some smaller glass 250v 3a fuses.. Can I use that to test this tcon as a temp fix?

Comment

Originally posted by lilmonk3 View Post
                          Thank selldoor.. I have some smaller glass 250v 3a fuses.. Can I use that to test this tcon as a temp fix?
                          Yes.
                          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by lilmonk3 View Post
                            Yes X2

Only short a fuse with a wire if you want to see "spectacular" results. Otherwise, DON'T!

Comment

Working...
                            X