Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3300uF low-ESR caps suitable to PSUs in D10mm - may be possible!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3300uF low-ESR caps suitable to PSUs in D10mm - may be possible!!

Hello everybody.

It seems that I am getting some success with that requests for custom can size we have been talking about in the Enermax thread. The thing is, Joe seems to be out of business, nobody can reach him, his web is dead and Man Yue is not responding to my questions.

So I tried different sources. I have recieved e-mail from UCC through Digi-Key just a few moments ago. There may be great possibility of squeezing KY or KYA caps into D10 can of 50mm maximum height, based on KZE design (I knew there was something like that! ). The lady from UCC will just ask whether the machinery producing low-ESR caps can accept taller than 35mm cans.

Now why I am making this thread. This may lead in possibility of (currently) only production in the world of maybe taller (up to 50mm), but mainly 10mm in diameter caps suitable for power supply units. With 3300 uF capacity and for 16 V. Minimum order quantity is 1000 pcs. I am currently asking for the price also. Anyway, as 1000 pcs would almost certainly be too much for me, both because of the quantity and because of the price (I guess), here comes the reason for this thread

If everything goes well, who here on the forums may be interested in taking some share from the first 1000pcs batch? If we would go for this, most preferable would probably be if somebody from US would take this from Digi-key and than sent the pieces elsewhere in the world. As there are many ppl from US here on forums, there would be no point in sending it first to Europe and than back.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: 3300uF low-ESR caps suitable to PSUs in D10mm - may be possible!!

Count me in if this is a group buy. Anyone from the US want to take the job as lead man? Topcat?

Good job Behemot.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I would take 100 or more, depending on the price.

Comment

I got reply from Man Yue as wel, it seems they got some troubles sending e-mails to my address. So far I have been offered 10V RS as follows:

Man Yue Part No. ERS 338M1CG30RRS0P
        Series ERS
        Cap 3300
        Vol 10
        Size 10*30
        Packing RR
        Lead Time 6 weeks
        MOQ/MPQ 4800/200

I have instantly asked also for 16V of course

Man Yue Part No. Series Cap Vol Size Packing Lead Time MOQ/MPQ
        ERS338M1CG30RRS0P ERS 3300 16 10*30 RR 6 weeks 4800/200
        Last edited by Behemot; 01-10-2013, 04:36 AM.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Moved from FAQ.

Surprised topcat hasn't chimed in... If anybody would want a massive stash, he would.

As for me... I'd take 100 or so if the price was ok... Just so I'd have them on hand.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I'll send him an e-mail, have been talking with him over that a week or so ago
            Last edited by Behemot; 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Any idea on ESR and ripple current rating of these parts?
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

As for those Samxons, the same as the Joe's I guess as they are the same exactly:

Samxon RS 3300uF 10v 10mm 30mm 0.045Ω 2800mA 105oC 7000Hrs
                Samxon RS 3300uF 16v 10mm 30mm 0.035Ω 3000mA 105oC 7000Hrs

As for those Chemi-Cons, been told that its just a guess, we won't know the price exactly before we proceed further, but it may be similar to KZE they have been referring to, which is USD 0,707 a piece in 1000 pcs qty. Parameters should be related to these also (~2400 mA ripple IIRC).
                Last edited by Behemot; 01-10-2013, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Those numbers for RS from Joe's site are incorrect...

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                  Manyue confirms their rating at 1675 ripple, 0.041 ESR
                  I don't need any more 16V RS, I've got plenty I bought from Joe a while back. It's the KY I'm interested in. The RS series is only 10x30mm. If you can get UCC to make the part in a taller can KY series, we can get a much better ripple and ESR than Samxon RS...
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Aha, good to know, thanks.

Got this answer from Digi-Key upon my explicit request whether the possibility have been confirmed:

UCC does not see any difficulties with producing this capacitor, but they won’t do any more research until they have a 1000 piece commitment and an order.
                    So when we gather people enough, we can get more info. I know most of you would like to get the information -prior- to making an order, but it is how it is…

Comment

If it's 70 cents a piece we'll need 7 people who can commit $100. I'm in for $100.

Comment

Same here, $100 is no problem.

Comment

OK guys, I am quite bussy writing with the lady from Man Yue. I got this offer, which seems quite interesting I think. We can get like four times the amount of capacitors for the same price as Chemi-Cons:

Man Yue Part No. Series Cap Vol Size Packing Unit Price/USD Lead Time MOQ/MPQ
                          ERS338M1CG30RRS0P ERS 3300 10 10*30 RR 0.167 6 weeks 4800/200
                          ERS338M1CG30RRS0P ERS 3300 16 10*30 RR 0.173 6 weeks 4800/200

Would anybody be interested in these? We can also take some of those bigger KY/KYAs later, but for me alone, I would be quite satisfied with the RS for now, I have been using them for many years now without any problem and at the moment, I have NO stock of anything over 1500 uF/6,3 V and 1000 uF/16 V in D10

Comment

If the price is really 0.173, I'd spend 50$ for the 3300/16 .. that would probably work to about 250pcs and some dollars left aside for shipping.

I don't see any point in ordering 3300/10 if it's the same size can, i can just use 3300/16 for 5v sb and 5v where some use 10v rated capacitors.

Comment

I'm gonna pass on the RS... I already have stock. It's good to know that they're still willing to produce them though. Out of curiosity, what is their minimum quantity?

Comment

It's in all the tables here, have a look

mariushm: you got a point man, with this price difference…used to be more from Joe's, 0,05 eurocents.

Comment

I think it's either 0.05 dollars or 0 dollars and 5 eurocents ... a 5th of a cent sounds a bit too cheap Sorry, couldn't help it..there's a big difference.. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANDk0SWzplo

MOQ/MPQ

I'd assume MOQ is short for minimum order quantity. mpo is probably pieces in a package?

Last time I bought some KZE for about 0.6$ from Digikey, but they're in 12.5mm diameter. Even on Farnell I'd pay 0.52$ + VAT (24%) in 500 pcs.

I'd love to get a KZE/KY variant even at about 0.7-0.8$ but my budget for such an "adventure" would be at most around $100.

If the Samxon's are really around 0.2$ a piece, why not, I may even go to $100 worth of caps - If I don't use them fast enough I could just re-sell a part on eBay.

Not sure how much it helps if the minimum order is 4800 pcs, if you can't find more people interested.

Comment

Oh yeah, my bad, 5 eurocents (0,05E).

Yeah, I think it's minimum package quantity

Well with 0,173 USD a piece, that's 830,4 USD for the whole pack. That means, if you're willing to spare 100 dollars, you just got yourself aprox. 1/8th of the whole pack. I think it helps enough

I'd like to take those KYs too, but you see, I need SOMETHING ATM, got no stock. And obviously, RS with quarter the price is somewhat preferable When I make fortune on them, I can buy both RS and KY/KYA next time

Comment

You're not going to make a fortune on them...

Yes, a lot of PSUs have 16V 3300uF caps in 10mm, but how many of them are actually on the 12v rail? Of those PSUs, how many of them can you not squeeze in a 12.5mm cap? Not many.

I've re-capped some Fortrons with 10V 3300uF caps in 10mm, so far, I've used all Panasonic FK 6.3V 3300uF caps and they have a better rating than the Teapos and the RS. Heck, even Teapo SC is rated better than Samxon RS. If I can get UCC KY for 0.70 a piece, that's still a lot better than Panasonic FK, which go from 85 cents to over a dollar.

Comment

I never sold capacitors on eBay to make a fortune.

I just don't like to use very old capacitors... if I don't use some capacitors in 4-6 months, I just put what I have left on eBay at barely something to cover the envelope and stamps and ebay fees.

Also, it's a great solution to get better prices on Digikey, as I order pretty much anything in at least 50-100 pieces.

So for example, if I'm left with 30 out of 200 pcs of a particular capacitor after 4-6 months, I put them on ebay and order another set of 100-200 pcs along other stuff from Digikey.

This way i get quantity discount, the package overall is above the threshold for free shipping, it works good for me and I also score some karma for helping people on ebay with genuine capacitors.

Comment

Working...
                                        X