Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Fake? Nichichon TMV 4v 680uF Caps

Hey everyone..

Was going through everything I had on hand took these out of storage.. wrapped in bubble wrap.. They could of been crushed but I'm not sure.. No vents on top.. Cans look like an oval almost..

I also have a KZG Y vent going to garbage aswell..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Yatti420; 08-10-2013, 11:20 AM.

Re: Bad Fake? Nichichon TMV 4v 680uF Caps

No, they're 4v rated in a small can size, so they don't have enough electrolyte inside that would cause enough pressure to blow up. Therefore, there's no need for vents on such small capacitors.

Comment

Nope.

Those are actually Nippon-chemi-con TMV series capacitors.

Did you have them in an attic? Looks like they got some heat damage, including the bigger capacitors too! Some of the little ones have their bung (rubber seal on the bottom) pushed out, or they are leaking.
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
        No, they're 4v rated in a small can size, so they don't have enough electrolyte inside that would cause enough pressure to blow up. Therefore, there's no need for vents on such small capacitors.
        No.
        No No No NO LOL

Those small caps can still blow up! They don't have a vent though because they are small enough that when there is a failure, it is not catastrophic enough to destroy everything around it. Big can sized capacitors, when they blow up, can be really dangerous, therefore they have a safety vent.
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

My mistake and yes thinking about it they could of taken heat damage.. I got a bunch of rubies and sanyos which are ok.. They are all destined for the trash.. Yes my mistake Nippon Chemi-con..

Comment

TMV and KZG are bad series and fail with no use, as your TMVs have.

I have a cap that is crushed like the second one from the right in picture 4, but it is still sealed and tests good. I bought it at Radio Shack and never noticed it was crushed until I got home and took it out of the bag. It's in some really cheap and crappy computer speakers now.

Comment

I don't have anything to test with at this moment..

Both my TMV and KZG are in the junk pile..

Comment

Yes, those are junk. The two crushed ones are leaking, and I see two more in your pictures that are bulging from the bottom. Those same caps fail a lot on motherboards.

Comment

KZG installation instructions:
                  Step #1, open garbage can lid
                  Step #2, insert KZG into garbage opening
                  Step #3, close lid of garbage can

You have now installed your Chemicon KZG :p

In all seriousness, KZG aren't good to have lingering on your motherboard. They aren't so stable. I have some mobos yet to get to with them, but yeah....

Comment

Originally posted by theokretes View Post

In all seriousness, KZG aren't good to have lingering on your motherboard. They aren't so stable. I have some mobos yet to get to with them, but yeah....
                    They, along with the KZJ, don't like heat as much as other brands. I think they are both discontinued now.

All capacitor manufacturers have a dud series or two
                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

i made a video of me dumping a bunch of brand new kzg.
                      they were no good even in well cooled power supplies.a friend volunteered to test some.the ones on +5stby and+3.3 died in a few months.
                      Originally posted by theokretes View Post

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post

All capacitor manufacturers have a dud series or two
                        Except Panny and Sanyo/Suncon . . . so far spotless record.

Comment

Sanyo's WF series is notorious for failing. Just search for them.

So Panasonic wins...

KZG/KZJ/KZV/TMV/TMZ/TMJ are indeed all true crap. They fail on their own because something is chemically (internally) wrong with their electrolyte. I find it interesting how Nichicon only really had two dud series for only a limited time and a single shift (HM/HN) but they addressed that problem relatively quickly. KZG and all its variants that Chemi-con produced lasted from 2003-2011, was it? There have been some random KZH failures in some 800W Delta power supplies documented in this forum as well...

Otherwise, there were Japanese capacitors from the 1980s-1990s that had insufficient seals (bungs) so they would eventually give away and leak... (even Panasonic had that problem) or the problem with unstable quaternary ammonium salts... but those capacitors were well out of production before this millennium. There have been some bad batches of Rubycon MBZ/MFC/MCZ spawned as well, but I wonder if those are just fakes... sometimes it's hard to tell...

To answer the OP more directly, however, TMVs aren't fake, they're just garbage.
                          Last edited by Wester547; 08-13-2013, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                            So Panasonic wins...
                            Yup. Panny the only brand I've known to survive several years torture in Dell SX280 roasting ovens.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I like Rubies / Sanyo.. Those caps all went to the trash..

Comment

Chemicon only I consider their polymer... others, like KZG, KZJ, I tends to stay off...
                                Only Series I might consider is their KZE.

Panasonic and rubies are often my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by ant3202 View Post
                                  Chemicon only I consider their polymer... others, like KZG, KZJ, I tends to stay off...
                                  Only Series I might consider is their KZE.

Panasonic and rubies are often my choice.
                                  Yeah, I agree with the KZG and KZJ.

I like the KZE, KY, LXZ, LXY, LXV, SMG, and SMQ series from NCC.
                                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

KY are my favorite by Chemi-Con. Ideally I like to use Rubycon and Panny, but I think you get the most bang for your buck with KY, they seem to be a little cheaper but still have fantastic quality

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                                      Sanyo's WF series is notorious for failing. Just search for them.
                                      Never seen a bad (or good) WF, ran into close to a billion pristine WGs though. Don't think I've EVER had a bad WG.

Comment

Working...
                                      X