silence an air compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: silence an air compressor?

i really dont think it bothers anyone havent had any complaints yet.
    and i think if your not in ear shot of it your cant really hear it that well.
    My Computer.
    AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
    Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
    Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
    500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
    1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
    2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Same suggestions as most people in this thread, really.

I would:

1) Build a box around it.
      2) Isolate everything with rubber--rubber feet on the compressor legs, attached to box, box should have rubber feet or material between it and your balcony. I would also detach the direct-drive motor and piston assembly from the tank and put rubber between that as well.

Other things you could try:

3) Attach Dynamat to outside of tank to lessen certain tones, but I think the biggest nuisance for your neighbors (especially your downstairs neighbor) is going to be vibration so 1 and 2 are most important, most likely.

A note about 2: I have a compressor like this at home, much older, but same noise-as-hell direct drive unit. And with the exception of the hard-line that runs off the piston side into the tanke, there is really no reason it has to be attached to the air-tank at all. You could literally take the motor/piston assembly off and put it on a pillow and run fittings and rubber lines to the tank.

Obviously, the unit needs to be straight up and down so the motor continues to get oiled, but you get the idea. And if the unit is anything like mine under that plastic cover then you really can't add a muffler unless you had someone tig-weld a piece of tubing over the open area of the head, where the air gets in.
      Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Originally posted by Logistics View Post
        Same suggestions as most people in this thread, really.

I would:

1) Build a box around it.
        2) Isolate everything with rubber--rubber feet on the compressor legs, attached to box, box should have rubber feet or material between it and your balcony. I would also detach the direct-drive motor and piston assembly from the tank and put rubber between that as well.

Other things you could try:

3) Attach Dynamat to outside of tank to lessen certain tones, but I think the biggest nuisance for your neighbors (especially your downstairs neighbor) is going to be vibration so 1 and 2 are most important, most likely.

A note about 2: I have a compressor like this at home, much older, but same noise-as-hell direct drive unit. And with the exception of the hard-line that runs off the piston side into the tanke, there is really no reason it has to be attached to the air-tank at all. You could literally take the motor/piston assembly off and put it on a pillow and run fittings and rubber lines to the tank.

Obviously, the unit needs to be straight up and down so the motor continues to get oiled, but you get the idea. And if the unit is anything like mine under that plastic cover then you really can't add a muffler unless you had someone tig-weld a piece of tubing over the open area of the head, where the air gets in.
        you would think if the motor wasnt attached to the tank it would end up bouncing all over the place?
        My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

I was only giving an example, hyperbole if you will, to put more emphasis on the fact that the motor can be relocated.
          Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Originally posted by Logistics View Post
            I was only giving an example, hyperbole if you will, to put more emphasis on the fact that the motor can be relocated.
            pretty much disasempling the compressor would be out of the question not my choice i wasnt the one who paid for it.
            My Computer.

500GB WD Caviar® Blue™

Comment

Working...
            X