Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iMac PIN code woes

Hi Everyone,

Been a very long time since I've done computer troubleshooting, so I've hit a problem.

I've got a 27" 2011 model iMac here which was working all fine and well until; one night it decided to lock itself, displaying a 4 digit pin box. I didn't do anything and this has just decided to appear itself.

After some googling, it appears the computer has been iCloud locked from a remote device such as an iPhone. I'm pretty sure I haven't touched iCloud since I got the computer.

I purchased it six months ago from a second hand electronics store which refurbishes ex lease computers etc. I have all the proper documentation that came with the computer as well as a purchase receipt from this electronics store.

So I figured the best way was to go to Apple themselves because I don't want to permanently lose my data on the computer. I turn up with the iMac for a meeting a technician/Genius and they tell me... sorry we can't help because you don't have a proper receipt from an AUTHORISED RESELLER. I asked about my data and I was told that they couldn't help me either... best option was to buy a new iMac.

Not the happiest at the moment about this, but is there any fix to get the computer to even work again?

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: iMac PIN code woes

Wow, just wow. Welcome to the 21st century I guess. I'm getting mighty disgusted with businesses these days. Tracking your every thought, selling garbage that locks itself up capriciously. I had a printer tell me it couldn't print anymore because it was worn out and to buy a new one. It printed a perfect page before it locked itself up.

I sure hope one of the real genius's here can help Stevo.
    sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

i suspect you will need to put Linux on it in future,
      the icloud lock is exactly that - the o.s. checks online for lock status.

until then, take out the drive and put it in a usb caddy.
      then plug it into a machine runnng Linux,
      it will mount HFS & HFS+ partitions - no problem.
      i dont think the mac encrypts files or partitions by default - i'm not even sure it can if you wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by rhomanski View Post
        I had a printer tell me it couldn't print anymore because it was worn out and to buy a new one.
        if that was an epson or brother, you can power it up while holding in a combination of buttons and it will reset the counters.

if it's a brother, it can also kill your cartridges!!!

Comment

maybe speak to the electronics store they may of had this issue before and out of goodwill etc try to help you sort the issue out.

Comment

There are a couple of solutions to try here .http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/...-code.1438822/

Comment

Is there a chance the iMac was stolen? We had a local pawn shop that went out of business because they kept selling stolen merchandise. It wasn't on purpose though. People would bring them stolen merchandise. They'd try their best to make sure it wasn't stolen, but it was hard. They'd take your license and address, in case it was. But I guess the police officers gave them a lot of grief. Maybe it was stolen and the original owner locked it? Just a thought.

So, where does the pin show up at? Is it when you power on the iMac or is it after X-Windows starts? I know the last Mac I redid, I had to reinstall Mac OS X 10.5.8. I burned Mac OS X 10.5.6 and installed that. During the installation, it gave me an option to keep the user files from the previous installation.

If you have a desktop PC, you could pull the hard drive from the iMac as Stj suggested, but instead of a USB caddy, you can also plug it into a normal SATA port. Boot into Linux, copy your data off, reinstall (assuming the PIN shows up after X starts and not as soon as you turn on the iMac.)

**EDIT: I just read the link Diif linked you to and I think that's probably your best chance. From reading it, it looks like the BIOS is locked as well and you won't be able to boot off a disc until you unlock the iMac.
              Last edited by Spork Schivago; 01-17-2017, 10:44 AM.
              -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Working...
              X