Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nichicon/FPCAP?

Hi,

Mouser has been stocking a crapload of these and I was wondering what the lowdown was. According to the Datasheet from Nichicon, FPCAP is technically electrolytic, but it says polymer...And is it Fujitsu or Nichicon?

So if one was to do a poly-mod on a board, I would figure that finding the correct value might be difficult because it's kind of the ugly child of an electrolytic and a solid polymer...

Am I better off sticking to the UCCs and regular Nichicons?

Thanks.

Re: Nichicon/FPCAP?

http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/pr...p_catalog.html

FPCAP used to be fujitsu (the yellow ones with K vent, later looking like regular polys with red markings like on that site), but was bought by nichicon AFAIK

Comment

If the Nichicon FPCAP is anything like the Fujitsus, then they are reported to be generally superior to other polymer caps. This piques my interest a bit. I'm very happy with the stock of Nichicon at Mouser, and I will have to investigate these caps there for future use.

edit:

It seems from here that F8, NE and E5 are suitable for Low ESR applications.
      Last edited by mockingbird; 03-09-2011, 06:49 PM.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

The old ones with vents were the wet polymer variety similar to OS-CONs, but they haven't made those in a while. The new ones are all solid like everyone else.

Comment

So is there a reason they put "electrolytic" on the datasheet? I actually didn't see any mention of a wet electrolyte in the diagram, but perhaps?

Comment

"electrolytic" doesn't necessarily imply that it's a wet capacitor. Here's a diagram from Sanyo that explains the terminology.

There were caps that had wet organic polymer electrolyte like 10 years ago, but that's gone by the wayside.

Comment

There are several discussions of the Fujitsu-Nichicon deal in the forums over the past 2 years. Notably:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6524

FYI - Some of the FPCAP datasheets from Nichicon are dupes of the Fujitsu ones.
              Last edited by Toasty; 03-10-2011, 01:31 AM.
              veritas odium parit

Comment

Ah I just implied that electrolytic = wet. Well, I think I might try some of these somewhere down the line...They are actually cheaper than most polymers which is also strange.

Comment

the black and yellow fujitsu polys with vents are the same tech as any other polys.nichicon bought the fpcap line and name.i have heard it through the grapevine they are still made in the same factory by the same workers.

Comment

Kind of irrelevant, and I know most of you guys aren't Audio Gurus, but do you have any idea how polymers behave in chip amplifiers, versus standard electrolytics?

Comment

FPCAP = Functional Polymer Capacitor
                      (Fujitsu initially called them "Hybrid" in ads.)

As I recall someone tore one apart a long while back and they aren't "Solid" [as in dry].
                      Had some kind of paste instead of a liquid.

So my take is they are called "Functional" because they are somewhere between "Solid" and "Wet".

Regardless, they work as well as and other Polymer cap.

Early on they had a problem with moisture leaking -IN- through the bung and causing [usually slight] bloating when they heated up again.
                      Fujitsu fixed that problem many moons ago [guessing 2002-ish +/-1] but that's why the first design versions had vents.
                      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 03-11-2011, 01:47 AM.
                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Working...
                      X