New, unused capacitors bulging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New, unused capacitors bulging?

Twice I have seen an electrolytic capacitor (new - never used, never had a volt applied to it) which has bulged over time. Both were different brands.
    Can anyone throw some light on this matter please?
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: New, unused capacitors bulging?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8312
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

not seen that, i had some shit ones that leaked around the wires though!

Comment

I got in a pack of 10 motherboards that sat for a year. Never used or seen heat other than factory construction and testing. About no name 10 caps on every board were bulged. Board quality was very low and it was easy to burn traces so the dual P3 boards were scrapped.
        sig files are for morons

Comment

I've been told that a chemical reaction occurs (which produces gas and makes the capacitor bulge) in the capacitor if there are two incompatible chemicals and metals inside it. What might those chemicals and metals be?
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Are you sure it's not just a dud (from the forming at the factory), that slipped through quality control? Or did it bulge while in your possession? I received one in a lot I bought a good while ago.
            ------------
            Be a mensch

Comment

The capacitor in question was not bulging when I received, but over time, it bulged, even though it was not soldered in a circuit.

Comment

That doesn't make sense. Something must have happened....atmospheric pressure or something....

Comment

It makes perfect sense, the electrolyte activated with the impurities in the aluminium and created gases, since it is a closed container something has to let go...
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Then wouldn't you think that would happen more often?

Comment

I've seen it happen myself once too (since I posted that link to the thread). We ordered a brand new PSU at work and it had fuhjyyu caps. They were bulged even though we never even fired the PSU up.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I suppose if the material used is absolutely crude. Junk aluminum and junk electrolyte. I could see something bad happening.

But I wouldn't expect that in a high quality cap.

Comment

The only time I've ever seen a new good cap was a Panny I ordered, although I'm pretty sure it was just a manufactured dud that slipped through the QC Checks, but fuhjyyu is the only brand I've known to bulge just from sitting on the shelf.

Comment

Must have been a really bad batch or stored improperly for them to do that. Within spec a cap should never produce enough gas to vent never having been used and properly stored.

My guess is they were exposed to heat for a period of time. We all know even a new cap tossed in a fire will explode.
                            Last edited by brethin; 03-19-2011, 12:06 AM. Reason: .

Comment

I bought a new old stock Slot A board on eBay a few years ago...Jetway if I remember correctly. It was definitely never used, still sealed in the box. That said, it was 10 or so years old. It was full of GSC caps, most were bulged. I don't know what kind of conditions it was stored in, obviously.

Comment

I've seen caps bulge even after you heat the PCB from lets say, graphic card.

Comment

Working...
                                X