acer al1916w going bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acer al1916w going bad

Monitor recently started repeating the logo screen and not showing the desktop. After 5 minutes or so of doing this, then it will turn on and work normally.

A few days later, it would repeat the logo for a while and then the power light would go orange and fade in color and the monitor would go black. I could unplug and plug back in the power, then it would repeat the logo screen and work (eventually.)

Keeps taking longer and longer to turn on, but once it's on it stays on...

Is this bad caps, or something else? It's an acer al1916w from march 2008.

Re: acer al1916w going bad

Hi - welcome to the forum. I dont know how much research you have done but
    if you type AL1916w into "Search" above, you may find an answer. If not you will see how to post pictures of the inside of your monitor and give you an idea of what is involved. Say if you have a multimeter and soldering tools and if you can use them and an indication of what electronic knowledge you have.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by motoxer View Post
      Keeps taking longer and longer to turn on, but once it's on it stays on...

Is this bad caps, or something else?
      Yes, it could be bad caps. As caps warm up their ESR drops and allows the circuit to work.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
        Hi - welcome to the forum. I dont know how much research you have done but
        if you type AL1916w into "Search" above, you may find an answer. If not you will see how to post pictures of the inside of your monitor and give you an idea of what is involved. Say if you have a multimeter and soldering tools and if you can use them and an indication of what electronic knowledge you have.
        I looked some but most seemed to be monitors that didnt work at all, and got really confused with all of the comments saying it could use different power circuit boards etc.
        I'm still using the monitor and hoping for a quick fix before things go worse...

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        Yes, it could be bad caps. As caps warm up their ESR drops and allows the circuit to work.
        thanks for the reply. i'm hoping it's just that and not something else

I have a multimeter and soldering iron but neither are great quality. I'm hoping to just replace the normal caps and hope that it fixes it.

I'm guessing it's better to open up the monitor first and look for damage before ordering?

And, are ebay repair kits "bad" ?

Comment

Originally posted by motoxer View Post
          I'm guessing it's better to open up the monitor first and look for damage before ordering?
          Yes.

And, are ebay repair kits "bad" ?
          If you DIY using digikey with USPS 1st class shipping versus a "kit: you are likely to save 1/2 the cost.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thisa may be a bit early to mention but if your monitor uses this video board (see picture )
            The volt regulator at U7 (circled red ) can start to fail causing the same symptoms and when failed can cause no start up.
            Follow Retiredcaps and others advice and start with the PSU first though
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sabre504 View Post
              Thisa may be a bit early to mention but if your monitor uses this video board (see picture )
              The volt regulator at U7 (circled red ) can start to fail causing the same symptoms and when failed can cause no start up.
              Follow Retiredcaps and others advice and start with the PSU first though
              Hello wonderful people can solve my electronic problem I am a new to the electronic stuff. I purchased a AL1916w that will not start up I upon looking inside I noticed previous owner tried to fix it by replacing two capacitors 1000uf 25v with wrong heat range 85c. Soldering was very bad, after reordering with new caps I get blue light on start then goes yellow. 2 Fuses test good caps test with good esr’s I get 165 volts coming out of Big cap I get power to main board 12v & 5v

I also plugged in my CCFL test bulbs no power to bulbs on start.

I have the same mainboard as the picture above with two LDO regulators AMC1117 3.3
              The same regulator that is squared of in red in the pic above my voltage readings are
              Ground 0000
              Out 3.284
              In 0.476
              I am assuming this is bad ?

The other regulator on the far right corner reads

Ground 0000
              Out 3.283
              In 05.02
              Last edited by 1supertech; 06-23-2012, 09:50 AM.

Comment

@1 supertech - we need pictures of YOUR boards its no good us looking at someone elses. If both LDO s are 3.3v then 3.284/3 reduction may be due to poor caps nearby is not far off - Your voltages 12v and 5v seem very exact - best to quote to 2 decimals
                Was it all connected up when you took voltages.
                Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

"I have the same mainboard as the picture above with two LDO regulators AMC1117 3.3
                  The same regulator that is squared of in red in the pic above my voltage readings are
                  Ground 0000
                  Out 3.284
                  In 0.476
                  I am assuming this is bad ?"

Check the voltages again on this, I doubt if you can get 3.284 volts out,,with only 0.476volts going in !!!!!!!

Comment

Which 2 fuses did you check? Assuming you have a DAC-19M008 power board, a common failure for this board is one of the AOP605 dual mosfets shorting out and causuing fuse F200 to open. Check F200 first.

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                      @1 supertech - we need pictures of YOUR boards its no good us looking at someone elses. If both LDO s are 3.3v then 3.284/3 reduction may be due to poor caps nearby is not far off - Your voltages 12v and 5v seem very exact - best to quote to 2 decimals
                      Was it all connected up when you took voltages.
                      It was all connected I will give you a more exact reading starting where
                      powerboard meets mainboard at top

0.540 but fluctuates
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by 1supertech; 06-23-2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                        Which 2 fuses did you check? Assuming you have a DAC-19M008 power board, a common failure for this board is one of the AOP605 dual mosfets shorting out and causuing fuse F200 to open. Check F200 first.
                        No It's a dac 12M030

Round fuse behind power plug on power board and glass fuse near heatsink

I was wondering about the AOP605 how do you test them
                        Last edited by 1supertech; 06-23-2012, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
                          "I have the same mainboard as the picture above with two LDO regulators AMC1117 3.3
                          Ground 0000
                          Out 3.284
                          In 0.476
                          I am assuming this is bad ?"

Check the voltages again on this, I doubt if you can get 3.284 volts out,,with only 0.476volts going in !!!!!!!
                          I tried it again and got the same reading

Comment

Originally posted by 1supertech View Post
                            No It's a dac 12M030

Round fuse behind power plug on power board and glass fuse near heatsink

I was wondering about the AOP605 how do you test them
                            I believe for this power board, there's a surface mount fuse, F102, on the bottom of the board. Check to see if it's open.

Download the spec sheet for the AOP605. There are two mosfets in the AOP605. With your meter set to 200 ohms resistance:

For mosfet 1, measure across

D1-->G1
                            G1-->S1
                            D1-->S1

For mosfet 2, measure across

D2-->G2
                            G2-->S2
                            D2-->S2

A reading of approx 0-30 ohms will indicate a short. Perform this test for all 4 of the AOP605's.
                            Last edited by jetadm123; 06-23-2012, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1supertech View Post
                              Ground 0000
                              Out 3.284
                              In 0.476
                              I am assuming this is bad ?
                              What pins are you calling ground, in, and out?
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You can prove if the Power Supply/Inverter is working, as follows....Plug in you tests lamps,power up from the mains the power supply board ONLY,and apply 3v DC( from a couple of batteries maybe),beteween the BL ON pin and a Ground pin on the connector that would normally go to the Logic Board.This will indicate where you go next.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                  What pins are you calling ground, in, and out?
                                  Ground frist pin on left
                                  Out is center pin
                                  In is frist on right

Comment

Then there is someting wrong,Its not possible for a 3.3v LDO to give that voltage out with only approx 0.5 volts in...you have to have more in than you get out, and normally the input for the 3.3v regulator woul be approx 5 volts.However I suspect this is a 'red Herring', and should be put aside until you can get the PSU/Inverter working.Suggest you do the test as I suggested,and the resistance readings jetadm123 requested.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
                                      You can prove if the Power Supply/Inverter is working, as follows....Plug in you tests lamps,power up from the mains the power supply board ONLY,and apply 3v DC( from a couple of batteries maybe),beteween the BL ON pin and a Ground pin on the connector that would normally go to the Logic Board.This will indicate where you go next.
                                      I don't see BL on pin on power supply that connect to Logic board

Tested all capacitors at 0.10 thru 0.25 on esr meter should I try replacing all anyway ?

fuses
                                      f101 reads 000.0
                                      f200 reads 000.0

suface mount fuse behind power plug is F101 don't see 102

I tested Mosfet’s

Top Mosfet 1

D1-->G1 -08.76
                                      G1-->S1 -000.0
                                      D1-->S1 -08.81

Mosfet 2

D1-->G1-08.84
                                      G1-->S1- 000.0
                                      D1-->S1- 08.74

Mosfet 3
                                      D1-->G1 08.68
                                      G1-->S1 000.0
                                      D1-->S1 08.28

Mosfet 4
                                      D1-->G1 08.65
                                      G1-->S1 000.0
                                      D1-->S1 08.67
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by 1supertech; 06-24-2012, 07:28 AM.

Comment

The photo shows one line of pins,what about the other line,are they not marked ?? or is every pin in the top line connected to the pin immedoately below it...suggest some will be eg the Ground,it may be the DET pin,BUT check what the other ones are supposed to be..

Comment

Working...
                                        X